PDA

View Full Version : Rules & Accessories Pack - the differences

Nightbomber
09-06-2012, 08:27
It was a great news that RAP (may we call it that way from now on?) was published. With all new and upcoming miniatures it seems Ares is about to promote the game and make a good profit as well. Good luck to them. Unfortunately RAP is not available in every country and it's still an English version only if I'm not mistaken.
What I read in previous posts there may be some slight differences between the "old Nexus" rules version (they were changing as well in the course of time; see BB and BD rules for example) - but the games must go on:) So the problem is there may be players who follow the new rules and the old chaps who still refer to the Nexus ones.
My question is: could you, mates, who own the RAP rules list the differences or new rules that appeared in the Pack that differ from the old rules?

jbmacek
09-06-2012, 08:45
My question is: could you, mates, who own the RAP rules list the differences or new rules that appeared in the Pack that differ from the old rules?

I don't have them with me at the moment (instead I brought Herris' Aircraft of World War I with me), so I can't give details, but one of the new rules that I like is the rule for rookie pilots.

tuladin
09-06-2012, 09:52

The problem with listing the rules changes is that Ares is trying to sell these new rules, and giving all the changes away here may negatively impact sales. Once (if ever) Ares posts the pdf of the rules on their site they'll be free to all, but until then, out of respect for the company that is keeping this game alive, we should show restraint.

wargamer
09-06-2012, 10:03
LOL restraint. How bout a house rule. No posting rules or other copyright stuff from Ares, unless Ares posts them as free downloads or six months have passed since publication. Penalty of say suspension from posting until which ever comes first if you do.

Nightbomber
09-06-2012, 10:15
The problem with listing the rules changes is that Ares is trying to sell these new rules, and giving all the changes away here may negatively impact sales. Once (if ever) Ares posts the pdf of the rules on their site they'll be free to all, but until then, out of respect for the company that is keeping this game alive, we should show restraint.

I'm not going to incite others to infringe anyone's rights at all. I'm not going to ask for any scanned rules or anything like that. One thing is the copyrighted material itself, another thing is a specific rule you play according to. I simply can't imagine a play during which one of the players is saying: "I'm playing with the new RAP rules concerning altitude, but I won't tell you how I do it because it's copyrighted" :lol::lol::lol:

David Manley
09-06-2012, 10:20
So that would be no copies of manoeuvre decks, no details of aircraft stats, possibly even no locally produced flight stands, pegs etc. Hmm........

Dom S
09-06-2012, 11:50
(Or galleries full of Osprey's artwork....)

David Manley
09-06-2012, 13:02
Are people posting Ospreys here as well now?

Oberst Hajj
09-06-2012, 13:08
The rules are already being covered a little in this thread (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?11478-Rules-and-Accessories-Pack-first-look).

gully_raker
09-07-2012, 21:53
:thumbsup: As I posted in the other thread on the RAP. There are no big changes in the rules at all. Just some clarifications & the intoduction of an advantage if you dive using Altitude.
The new rule book is really a great piece of work as it lumps all the various rules frome Famous Aces, Balloon Busters, Flight of the Giants etc in the one book. It is extremely well illustrated to explain things as well.
You get A,B,C & D damage decks, 2 sheets of Cardboard markers, 2 rulers, some nice Trench, AA & Bombing cards plus a new type of double sided Control card to use for Basic or advanced rules.

In my opinion excellen value for the money!;)

Nightbomber
09-08-2012, 01:25
I couldn't resist your comments chaps and couldn't wait longer for that to enter my country market. Placed an order at 12-7 along with preordered WGS bombers:)

Niclas
09-08-2012, 04:16
Posting the rules in the entirety or in greater part is one thing, that would be copyright infringement no doubt about it.
But listing particular new rules and comparing them to old ones?
How do you review or discuss them if you can't do that?

This being a fan site, intended to promote the game, I would claim that what Andrzej proposes above is something that we definitely should be doing on here. I think there should be a sticky (in this forum - Rules Help), with a review and discussions, for each major revamp of the rules.

/Niclas

Oberst Hajj
09-08-2012, 04:42
:thumbsup: As I posted in the other thread on the RAP. There are no big changes in the rules at all. Just some clarifications & the intoduction of an advantage if you dive using Altitude.
The new rule book is really a great piece of work as it lumps all the various rules frome Famous Aces, Balloon Busters, Flight of the Giants etc in the one book. It is extremely well illustrated to explain things as well.
You get A,B,C & D damage decks, 2 sheets of Cardboard markers, 2 rulers, some nice Trench, AA & Bombing cards plus a new type of double sided Control card to use for Basic or advanced rules.

In my opinion excellen value for the money!;)

There are actually a few new rules entirely. Not big ones, but ones we have never seen before.

Posting the rules in the entirety or in greater part is one thing, that would be copyright infringement no doubt about it.
But listing particular new rules and comparing them to old ones?
How do you review or discuss them if you can't do that?

This being a fan site, intended to promote the game, I would claim that what Andrzej proposes above is something that we definitely should be doing on here. I think there should be a sticky (in this forum - Rules Help), with a review and discussions, for each major revamp of the rules.

/Niclas

I agree with you Niclas. However, discussing the rules spread out over multiple threads or even posts of an on going thread is much different then making a single post that contains all the new and changed rules. I can see how a thread detailing these changes could be handy (after a suitable amount of time has passed as not to hurt sales), supposedly it would not be needed one the RAP becomes widely available. After all, that is the whole intent behind the product... to give one location for all the rules.

So, in short, discuss away, but don't look for a direct side by side comparison. :)