PDA

View Full Version : Solo War

wargamer
09-05-2012, 21:18
I am working on a major solo campaign, starting 31 August 1914 and proceeding onto the end of war in 1918. Maybe further as some of the minor powers afterwards. The campaign works so fair, with cards instead of models.

However the early days are somewhat annoying. The early birds without synchronized machine guns, just roll a d6 with odd affecting the target, even you take the damage. But, combat with pistol and rifle is awkward. So far I am working on the idea that without stabilizing weapons, that the pistols and rifles just will not reach out and readily touch someone beyond half a ruler.

But my problem is what damage? a d12-6 for rifles, a d10-6 for pistols? In either case a zero or less damage is a zero.

Any ideas?

Oh and while I am begging for help, any sources for Taubes, Berloits or other 1914 birds on cards?

Angiolillo
09-05-2012, 21:39
This is a period that always fascinated me, and I often speculated how to feature it in the game.
I do not know if it is enough for a challenging game, but there is a rule for rifle shots in the game - just apply special damages and not damage points. It is the rule for infantry fire in the rulebook. The single bullets of the rifle/pistol will never do enough structural damage to destroy the plane, but the bullet could reach some vital part of the plane (or the crew) and with a lot of luck even shot it down. Besidesm, the advantage of those weapons should be a far wider arc of fire. Rifles could have a longer range than pistols but you need two hands - maneuvring would be limited, some piloted with their feet.
Think about ramming too... As an example when its attempts to tear enemy's fabric with a hanging hook failed, Kazakov scored his first victory that way. You could coinsider his hook too, but it never succeeded. Of course ramming is especially dangerous (see Pyotr N. Nesterov's story).

Baldrick62
09-06-2012, 02:20
Lengthy discussion on the use of hand-held small arms here.http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?6934-Rifles&highlight=rifles

wargamer
09-06-2012, 08:28
Many thanks, got most of it covered now.

Ramming = Kamikaze 40 years too early....

Bricks? Bombs & Grenades.

Oh wonderful things to think about now :)