PDA

View Full Version : AAR Over the Trenches: toddwf - Scenario 10 - The Prototype

toddwf
08-31-2012, 20:16
Scenario 10 - The Prototype
12th Dec. 1917

Diary of Flying Officer Charles 'Chuck' Spellman:
A new fighter was flown in today. It is called a "Snipe". Not sure where the name came from, but it sounds good and aggressive. HQ was looking for someone to give it a run over the front, no fighting... yeah right. Why else do you fly over the front? I figured, "what the hell! I'll give it a go!" There hadn't been a lot of action over the area I was flying into, but that didn't mean that there wouldn't be today.

The enemy:

The flight started out uneventful enough. The Snipe had a good strong engine, and just seemed to want to leap into the sky. The rudder was a little sloppy, but the bird still seemed to maneuver well enough.

Approaching the front, I noticed a single Boche patroling over No-Man's land.

It looked to be a DR.1. Let's see if the Snipe can handle a little Fokker.

Well, I'm sure not used to these guns yet. Damn... now they jammed! Not a good way to start a fight.

The new Snipe felt very maneuverable. If I could just get the guns unjammed!

There we go... much better shooting that time. (Note: I didn't notice the C deck card mixed into my A deck until I was editing the pictures. But, it added to the drama, and really didn't affect the final outcome.)

Now that I got the Boche feeling a little heat, it is time to finish the job...

Damn... guns jammed again. Even if the plane doesn't need a lot of work, the guns sure do!

At least the fire is keeping the Boche busy.

Uh oh! Looks like I've got more company!

I guess that DIII wanted a closer look... a little too close for my comfort!

Awgh! Damn... feels like I took a round in the thigh. I'm already gonna be in trouble for engaging with the enemy in the test plane... I better get home before the plane ends up the Boche's hands!

Looks like the burning DR.1 has the same plan.

Time to get this baby back on the ground. I'd hate to think what they'd do to me if I had lost the prototype to the Boche!

Flying Officer Charles 'Chuck' Spellman
Injured
Returned to base safely
0 kills

Leutnant Norman Stegner
Returned to base safely (although a little toasted)
0 kills

Leutnant Bernhard Siebenhaar
Returned to base safely
0 kills

----------------------------------------

Fun mission Sven! Not one of my best AARs. But, I waited too long to run the mission, and so was scrambling to get it together at the last minute. At least Chuck and the prototype made it home safely. I'm going to go ahead and run the next mission this weekend.

Todd

flash
09-01-2012, 00:57
Great stuff Todd, well done :thumbsup:
I await the outcome of a medical on Chuck !!

Blackronin
09-01-2012, 02:14
Your reports are getting better and better with each new one.

Flying Officer Kyte
09-01-2012, 04:22
:thumbsup:For a rushed mission, you put it together really well Todd.
For the first time I got through half of it before I even realised that you were only playing with cards.
You might say that the action was really Spellman binding.:clap:
Rob.
You might say it, but I certainly would not.:smack:
Kyte.

Watchdog
09-01-2012, 09:10
Nice report Todd. What was the Austro-Hungarian guest doing there? :)

Marechallannes
09-01-2012, 10:07
Good AAR, Todd.:salute:

I'm glad you had the time for the mission.

The injury wasn't that bad. "Chuck" is ready for the next mission:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?10090-The-Infirmary/page2

Nightbomber
09-04-2012, 12:51
:clap: for the report, Todd! Excellent pictures edition job there!
I see we got more or less the same results!!!
My plane also got 3+5+wounded pilot in one pass and one of our enemies caught fire. At the end of the day we both returned home and no one scored a single kill:erk:

toddwf
09-05-2012, 04:40
At the end of the day we both returned home and no one scored a single kill:erk:Yeah Andrzej, I was a little disappointed that there were no kills. I had really hoped Chuck would be able score a kill, since his plane should have been superior to the enemy. Oh well, next time!