PDA

View Full Version : WGFB: German Air Aces of World War One (A&A)

Baldrick62
08-29-2012, 12:34
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
German Air Aces of World War One (A&A) Author:
Alex Imrie ISBN:
0-85368-792-7 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
Arms and Armour Press Vintage Warbirds No.8 is a 64pp alphabetical study of German Luftstreitkrafte and Kriegsmarine aces, illustrated with 120 B&W photos. While there are numerous aircraft shown in the photographs, the information is much more about the men themselves, so unless that elusive personal marking or aircraft serial happens to be in the frame, you're unlikely to get any more information here. Whiel many of the photos have been reproduced in numerous other media, there are some less common ones too, including MvR in full flying rig which I hadn't seen before. Also unusual are a number of photos of captured Entente aircraft used by the Germans, including SPAD 7, Sopwith Pup, Nieuport 11 and an FE2d previously flown by 20 Sqn RFC. There are also a couple of unusual German types, with 2 photos of Pfalz D.VIIIs, and an AEG D.I which was apparently flown by Leut Walter Hoehndorf when attached to Jasta 14. Published in the 1980s, the Vintage Warbirds series still turns up at book exchanges for not a lot more than the original cover price of £4.95, which makes it quite a bargain for what you get. This is probably the rarest of the Vintage Warbirds series, but I still managed to pick up a copy for £14.99.

Linz
08-29-2012, 12:51
Sounds like a great find.
Linz