PDA

View Full Version : A RAZZLE DAZZLE WARHAWK & C.B.I. Roundup collection

Attila57
08-21-2012, 11:14

.. nightmare paint job above is the 15,000th Curtiss Warhawk, recently turned loose from the Curtiss-Wright plant at Buffalo, N.Y. Reason for all the insignia is to commemorate the 28 air forces which have used the famed P-40 since the beginning of the war. Note the red-nosed spinner cap and shark-puss of the Flying Tigers.

taken fron an article "YANKS IN THE ORIENT" (http://cbi-theater-1.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-1/roundup/roundup122144.html) of a really interesting C.B.I. Roundup (China - India - Burma Roundup) newpaper online collection (the home page at this link: http://cbi-theater-5.home.comcast.net/~cbi-theater-5/roundup/roundup.html)

Roundup was a free newspaper published by and for the men of the United States Forces in the China-Burma-India Theater of World War II. Content for the weekly newspaper came from news and pictures supplied by staff members, soldier correspondents, professional news agencies and Army and War Department news services. The paper was printed by The Statesman in New Delhi, India and later also in Calcutta, India. The first issue of Roundup was published on September 17, 1942. Over the following three and one-half years, a total of 188 issues were published, culminating with The Last Roundup, on April 11, 1946. Originally titled CBI Roundup, it became India-Burma Theater Roundup with the February 1, 1945 issue. (The China-Burma-India Theater had been reorganized into the India-Burma Theater and the China Theater of Operations. Roundup continued as the newspaper of the India-Burma Theater). In the menu at left are issues of Roundup, recreated for the Internet, using the original stories and pictures. The history of CBI - written as it happened. Click on a date to view that issue of the Roundup. Use the scroll bar
to view additional selections.

Attilio

Naharaht
08-21-2012, 16:16
Now that is a challenge for the next painting competition!

Attila57
08-21-2012, 21:23
yes :Dit's no easy task in 1/200

The newspaper could be a great resource of other info and pics ...

Attilio

Lloydthegamer
08-24-2012, 12:33
Hard to believe that 15,000 P40s were built and that 26 air forces used them. I didn't realize the plane was so widely used. It would make an interesting model though. Lloyd

csadn
08-25-2012, 18:53
Hard to believe that 15,000 P40s were built and that 26 air forces used them. I didn't realize the plane was so widely used. It would make an interesting model though. Lloyd

Well, many of the smaller nations acquired them "third-hand" (US built them for UK; UK then handed them off to lesser powers -- best-known example would be the Chinese P-40s of the AVG).

calfaber
07-08-2017, 20:01
Any for sale?

NewFlyBoy
07-09-2017, 10:02
The attachment nor the links seem to work...I'm a big P-40 fan would love to see the images.

Jager
07-09-2017, 13:03
The attachment nor the links seem to work...I'm a big P-40 fan would love to see the images.

Lost in the great Hacking back in 2013-14.
Just google "15,000th Curtiss Warhawk", and check images. Someone made a model of it, so the decal sheet shows up too.
Karl

ChesterB
07-09-2017, 14:14
I am a late comer to WW II W of G and am bummed that I have yet to see one single P-40 in a store, on line, on eBay, or on any game table. Wife and I are huge AVG fans and have been for decades. My mom's dear friend is a granddaughter of General Chenault. Her house is decorated like you would think - AVG books and memorabilia. There are LOTS of Chenault descendants. The granddaughter joked that every one of them is in your face tough like the old General. We went to the 75th AVG reunion last October in Atlanta - two 97 year old surviving AVG ground crew members were there. Thats about all that remains. Tex Hill lived here in the Dallas area and we met him and several others over the years as they often gathered at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum (in suburban Addison, TX) for special event days. I don't know what work of are you have on your fireplace, but on ours it is a Robert Taylor print with 2 dozen AVG signatures on it; many of those found by us as we dragged to airshows for years.

SOOOO, dang it, it is frustrating that I can't find one for W of G game play. Maybe Ares will do a reprint. I can't be the only one feeling the pain from the lack of a P-40 in my W o G collection..... Thanks for listening.

Rebel
07-09-2017, 15:10

Me also. No pics or working links!

gully_raker
07-09-2017, 16:19
:hmm: They were probably lost when the site was Hacked a couple of years back!:erk:

NewFlyBoy
07-09-2017, 17:10
I am a late comer to WW II W of G and am bummed that I have yet to see one single P-40 in a store, on line, on eBay, or on any game table. Wife and I are huge AVG fans and have been for decades. My mom's dear friend is a granddaughter of General Chenault. Her house is decorated like you would think - AVG books and memorabilia. There are LOTS of Chenault descendants. The granddaughter joked that every one of them is in your face tough like the old General. We went to the 75th AVG reunion last October in Atlanta - two 97 year old surviving AVG ground crew members were there. Thats about all that remains. Tex Hill lived here in the Dallas area and we met him and several others over the years as they often gathered at the Cavanaugh Flight Museum (in suburban Addison, TX) for special event days. I don't know what work of are you have on your fireplace, but on ours it is a Robert Taylor print with 2 dozen AVG signatures on it; many of those found by us as we dragged to airshows for years.

SOOOO, dang it, it is frustrating that I can't find one for W of G game play. Maybe Ares will do a reprint. I can't be the only one feeling the pain from the lack of a P-40 in my W o G collection..... Thanks for listening.

I'd love to acquire some P-40's as well -- developed a real interest after my 6th grade book report on "God is My Co-Pilot" .

Naharaht
07-10-2017, 10:18
I think that my local games shop may still have a Curtiss P-40 model in stock but it is in the U.K. and they do not sell by mail order. May I suggest that you ask your local shops, if you have any. They may have one in a back room somewhere. Try car boot sales etc.. Try searching the internet but I would not recommend paying an exorbitant price.

clipper1801
07-10-2017, 10:48
Try here: http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-15000-th-p-40.html

ChesterB
07-10-2017, 11:35
Our last local shop that carried WoG discontinued carrying the product line a year ago. I have not found a local shop in the Dallas - Ft Worth that carries WoG products. We have been reduced to internet sources, which for the most part have been fair. The only thing really eating away at me is the P-40 bit.

ChesterB
07-10-2017, 11:37
Try here: http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2016/08/the-15000-th-p-40.html

Really nice link, thank you!

Flying Helmut
07-10-2017, 13:25

If you don't manage to snag one in the US, drop me a PM - I have a line on a couple of P40s.