PDA

View Full Version : The 1st balloon base is finally finished

Roger Wilco
03-09-2010, 04:04
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=52&pictureid=3051

As you can see I have finally molded the first balloon base. The paint job has been done a bit quick and its come out a bit darker than I wanted, but the paint does the job showing the detail. You can see more photos and close ups in my album here.
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=52

The little tower in the middle is for the Balloon altitude risers to plug into I just haven't drilled it out yet.

I had a little trouble with the silicon molding rubber and following the instructions to the letter it set off faster than I could work it. Because it set off so fast some air bubbles got trapped close to the detail and this causes smooth lumps forming on the resin model when its cast. There are quite a few but they are easy enough to cut or flick off with a hobby knife as part of preparation.

I am also about to mold the other master I made (see album) so they could be sold in pairs.

I will also be molding the 3D targets at the same time.

OH yeah I'll use less catalyst with the next lot of molds so there will be next to no bubbles in them.

Now all I need is a balloon to put on it!

TD:cool:

rkhlegacy
03-09-2010, 04:57
Trevor, the balloon base looks great! Excellent job!

Oberst Hajj
03-09-2010, 07:08
That looks awesome!

Arendal
03-09-2010, 07:42
GREAT JOB!!!

The Blue Baron
03-09-2010, 08:09
Gorgeos!

Grinneth42
03-09-2010, 08:12
That looks really amazing...

Scoop
03-09-2010, 08:49
Stunning! That's gold, Trevor :)

Cruthers
03-09-2010, 09:26
FABtastic! You should market them!

afilter
03-09-2010, 12:00
WOW! that looks great!

Papavader
03-09-2010, 13:46
Awesome great work! :eek:

usmc1855
03-09-2010, 15:03
Outstanding!

Lowell Throttle
03-09-2010, 17:09
Looks really great!

a little CC (constructive critisim)
Looking at the photo it seems it isn't the ground that's too dark...the river appears too bright?

It's fantastic....when can we buy?

sparty
03-09-2010, 17:34
I've seen a ton of basing jobs in my day from ultra-realistic to those that looked cell shaded and I have to say I'm very impressed with how you not only based it but gave the whole thing scale as well. Very cool!

Roger Wilco
03-09-2010, 21:12
Looks really great!

a little CC (constructive critisim)
Looking at the photo it seems it isn't the ground that's too dark...the river appears too bright?

It's fantastic....when can we buy?

Funny thing is the river looks so much brighter in the photo than in real life where as the grass looks darker in the photo than in real life. Guess is one of those "photo doesn't do it justice" moments.

As for being for sale I am just trying to work out a price now, I have another one I am about to make a mold for and I am looking at selling them as a pair. But I have some important legal stuff to do first before I can sell them.

TD

Max von Clickenhoff
03-11-2010, 03:22
oh look at those....heres me with a balloon and no base and theres you with bases and no balloons....lol....When you have worked out how much you are selling them for please drop me a line here and I will piuck up two or four.

vC

Volant Gun
03-11-2010, 20:16
Great job Trevor!

Roger Wilco
03-11-2010, 21:33
Hi folks, first up thanks to all for the nice comments, encouragement and constructive critisism, I really do appretiate it

Max, I actually do have two ballons I bought two of the AIM models but they are still sitting unmade in a box. I was waiting to get the bases ready before I put them together. Actually it was the arrival of the AIM models that inspired me to make the bases.

I am hoping to start selling models soon but there is a delay at the moment because I more or less copied the artwork straight from the Burning Drachens balloon cards. As I have copied another persons art work it is a technically a breach of international copyright if I reproduce his work in any form or way without prior permission and then make a profit from it, I wouldn't like it if it was done to me so I won't do it to another artist etc. I have written for permission to the copyright holder at Nexus Games and I am waiting for his reply. If he says no or wants to charge me a license fee then I will not sell that particular base design that I have painted. All is not lost though, I have produced a second base which is my own design which I could technically sell without permission and I will make a third base to replace the the first to make up a pair. So at the moment fingers crossed and we will wait and see.

I was thinking of makeing the third base as if the balloon was close to the ground so it would just be grass, tire tracks and cables laying on the ground so details are close to 1/144 scale. I might even have a go at a winch vehical if I can find some very clear pictures. Just food for thought.

As for other ideas!

Is there any interest in having textured bases for aircraft models, I could make them detailed with forward and rear fire arcs cut into the surface and a smooth label area at the rear.

Another idea was a simple base for displaying models on. This could be the size of a balloon card and would consist of a textured grass finish with some seperate step resin stepladders, a table with some tools and maybe a machinegun on it and some wheelchocks etc all in 1/144 scale the balloon sized card is big enough space to display two WW1 fighters side by side or a single two seater, it would be a mini diorama to display your favorite model or a repaint!

TD

Oberst Hajj
03-11-2010, 23:21
I like the idea of the mini diorama bases. The detailed airplane bases might not workout so well for game play... would be hard to line up the arrows and such for movement.

Roger Wilco
03-15-2010, 15:46
The 2nd base has been done now and there are some new pics of it in my album here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=52

I made a couple of changes to the master you can compare the difference if you look at the grey master lower down the album page. I added a spot for a label and a couple of buildings for scale and hid the riser peg hole in a tree.

Now this one is OK to sell straight away as there are no copyright issues to deal with and I do have a couple of models in stock as I write. The single model is going to set you back $10Aus and another $10Aus for postage and packageing to Europe and USA, and of course the postage is few bucks less for Aussies and Kiwis. I can accept Paypal and if you want I will even trade stuff for them. Just send me a PM with your expression of interest.

Trevor

kaufschtick
03-19-2010, 08:35
Holy Smokes R_W, great pics in your photo album! I love the D.VIIs & Camels at the end!:cool:

Roger Wilco
03-21-2010, 00:49
Thanks kaufschtick

Flying Officer Kyte
03-31-2010, 13:16
Just looked at your photo album. Very impressive. It is great to see talent like that being used. I spent 35 years trying to teach children to start producing things like that.Will you be putting any of the other items not mentioned on sale? I am certainly interested in the bases, as I like collecting examples of other craftmen's work.
Rob.

Roger Wilco
03-31-2010, 17:48
Hi Rob, thanks for the compliments, I intend to get them produced in the near future, just got some more important things on my plate to do at the moment.
Trevor

Flying Officer Kyte
04-01-2010, 02:19
Ok. Trevor. When you do get fixed up, please let me know.
Incidentally my dad was out in your neck of the woods in the Fleet Air Arm. \he was on Albacores and Martletts.
Rob.