PDA

View Full Version : Burning Drachens Question

Volant Gun
03-04-2010, 21:27
I'm thinking about buying the game so I started reading the history books about the balloon busting. Frank Luke and Willy (what's his name) were pretty good at it. Here's my question.

Is there any way of flying above the balloons and diving down on them effectively? A dive or overdive would allow you to be above the artillery before the attack on the balloon. Especially if using incendiary bullets or rockets.

However, do you have to be a certain distance away from the balloon be for it blows up? Even if you dive on the balloon you still have to face the "Archie's" (Anti-aircraft guns) on the way out.

The more I think about this the harder it is to bust a balloon. The more I want to buy the game! :D

Thanks,
Frank.

Oberst Hajj
03-04-2010, 21:45
You could be above the balloon when you attack, just keep in mind that you will have to be a half range to score a long range hit on it (not at the same altitude levels). Also, any planes within range (either long or short, sorry don't have the book here) when the balloon goes pop, the planes take a C damage card.

Volant Gun
03-04-2010, 22:09
Thanks Kieth,

The more I think about this game the more I want to buy it. I think I remember reading somewhere here that the game has trench warfare as well? If that's true how cool!

Can you imagine being a soldier in the trenchs having to deal with what every ground pounder had to deal with from the begining of time (shelter, whether, food, supplies, NCOs and Officers) not to mention and occasional battle with the enemy. But wait! Not any more! Now he's has to deal with a new fangle machine that flies and shoots death at him while he's trapped in a trench!

Another thing, I don't think soldiers of the day knew they had to lead the target. If they did they wouldn't know by how much. . . Well. . . Maybe that's wrong. Look who brought down Von Richtofen! 'twern't no pilot! ;)

Frank.

Oberst Hajj
03-04-2010, 22:22
The trench rules are nothing fancy. They just explain how ground targets fire at planes.

IRM
03-04-2010, 22:35
When a balloon blows up any plane within half a ruler at the same height or overlapping at one level above or below take C damage.

The scenarios allow the balloon's owner to start to winch it down starting from the first turn enemy aircraft are on the table. It takes 12 turns to get it on the ground, so you usually have time to go after it unless you get tied up in dogfights.

Machineguns and infantry can only fire up to height 1 and AA guns up to height 5 (but reduces in range incrementally over height 1). Balloons block artillery LOS at any altitude, so it's worth attacking from above where possible.

I usually allow the attacker to start at up to height 7 using the Flying Higher rule, using the balloon's height as the floor (with the exception that the height change is compulsory).

afilter
03-05-2010, 06:50
The one thing I liked about Burning Drachens is that it really opens up solo play.

sparty
03-09-2010, 20:06
Yeah the solo play options are pretty streamlined and allow you to set up some fun encounters.

The arty and ground mg fire can be a bear particularly when you impose the 12 turn time limit to reel in the balloons.

Volant Gun
03-13-2010, 21:20
I broke down and bought the game last week. I really like it! Flew solo sorties last weekend and it was fun. We had our meeting today and we played several games. The first two were Burning Drachens and the last two were Famous Aces. We all had a blast! :D

Have Fun,
Frank.

Jythier
03-14-2010, 18:28
I often use the planes from Famous Aces to bust balloons with my son. Or from the Top Fighters and Dogfight boosters.

Volant Gun
03-14-2010, 18:47
Yeah,

We did the same thing. We have 13 aircraft to pick from. For the BD game we tried 1 fighter on one balloon. Then we tried 2 fighters on 1 balloon with 1 fighter for protection. For FA we went 2 on 2. As always we had a lot of fun. :D

Frank.

Jythier
03-15-2010, 16:16
I always break out Famous Aces as my sort of 'starter kit' for 2 on 2. I actually keep it separated out from the other sets and will loan it out to people to get them started playing, and then show up and show off the awesome extras that come in Burning Drachens... playing with people who already know the basics!

Volant Gun
03-15-2010, 22:38
It worked out that way for us as well. Though I like your idea of making that approach intentional! :)