PDA

View Full Version : Combining D damage decks

Pseudotheist
03-02-2010, 13:07
So, once people get their hands on the Balloon Busters packs, I assume a lot of people are going to have multiple copies of the D damage deck. What are people's thoughts on whether to combine these or not. For most decks, it's not a huge deal, because they're big enough that with the exception of the explosion being in the deck or not, any given card doesn't dramatically change the odds. But for the D deck, a miss on your first shot dramatically increases your chances of hitting on the second shot (from about 62% to around 71%). Does anyone think that was at all intentional on the part of the designers? Clearly using multiple copies of the deck will mitigate this significantly. I'm just wondering if people think this is a desired effect. Thoughts?

SoldierSteve
03-02-2010, 13:15
Being a mere squaddie I have never fired anything from a plane. However I wouldn't be at all surprised to know that the more shots the pilots fired the more accurate they became. For example whenever I fired my rifle I would look for any indication for the fall of shot so that I could adjust my aim accordingly. Would it be fair to assume that the early pilots would have done the same? If so then it would be fair also to assume that their odds would have improved the more shots they fired.

sparty
03-02-2010, 16:04
I think that's pretty legit to be honest.

The Blue Baron
03-02-2010, 23:36
So, once people get their hands on the Balloon Busters packs, I assume a lot of people are going to have multiple copies of the D damage deck. What are people's thoughts on whether to combine these or not. For most decks, it's not a huge deal, because they're big enough that with the exception of the explosion being in the deck or not, any given card doesn't dramatically change the odds. But for the D deck, a miss on your first shot dramatically increases your chances of hitting on the second shot (from about 62% to around 71%). Does anyone think that was at all intentional on the part of the designers? Clearly using multiple copies of the deck will mitigate this significantly. I'm just wondering if people think this is a desired effect. Thoughts?

Yes, I am quite sure that it is intentional because otherwise game would become longer.

Grinneth42
03-03-2010, 09:51
Being a mere squaddie I have never fired anything from a plane. However I wouldn't be at all surprised to know that the more shots the pilots fired the more accurate they became. For example whenever I fired my rifle I would look for any indication for the fall of shot so that I could adjust my aim accordingly. Would it be fair to assume that the early pilots would have done the same? If so then it would be fair also to assume that their odds would have improved the more shots they fired.

Hmm... Have to say that I disagree... When You fire your rifle I assume that you are staying in one place. Or at least not moving at 80mph. (I'm pretty sure as I write this that I'm going to get schooled, but...) Carrying my own thoughts forward, by the time the rocket reached its target, wouldn't the pilot/plane already be past the target? Or at least in a significantly different place, voiding any information learned from the previous shot? To finish up, I remember reading about one ace who would return to the aerodrome with pieces of drachen on the wings of his plane, telling you how close he was flying before firing...

I also have a great image of running experiments on this theory, using bottle rockets strapped to the end of a 2x4 while running headlong towards grounded hot air balloon...

And what does all of this have to do with the original question being asked? I have no idea, but I liked typing it up...

SoldierSteve
03-04-2010, 02:34
[QUOTE=Grinneth42;11558]Hmm... Have to say that I disagree... When You fire your rifle I assume that you are staying in one place. Or at least not moving at 80mph. (I'm pretty sure as I write this that I'm going to get schooled, but...) Carrying my own thoughts forward, by the time the rocket reached its target, wouldn't the pilot/plane already be past the target? Or at least in a significantly different place, voiding any information learned from the previous shot? To finish up, I remember reading about one ace who would return to the aerodrome with pieces of drachen on the wings of his plane, telling you how close he was flying before firing...

Yes, you're right, I was in one place but I think the basic principle still applies. If a pilot approached a target at a particular speed and height and fired his rockets at it he would then see if they dropped short or went over the target. Then carrying out the same manouevre again he would know how to adjust his aim. To say that by the time the rockets hit the target he would have passed it suggests that the plane fires the rockets and then overtakes them. I have no expert knowledge in this field but feel that that's unlikely. If I had been firing my rifle forwards from a moving car I wouldn't have then expected to pass the bullet before it hit its target. Do you think that's a fair comparison?