PDA

View Full Version : Proposed House Rules

FreefallGeek
03-02-2010, 11:23
Hey airmen, I could do with some assistance. I'm about to introduce a few new players to my game and want to iron out some houserules so I don't go changing rules on them after a couple of skirmishes.

Before I begin, we play just with the cards (no models), and do not play altitude (yet, though we may add that at some point).Here are some glaring problems I see with some of the basic game mechanics.

Tailing: Tailing NEVER occurs. There are suggestions to check for tailing after every maneuver instead of every turn. I really like this, but often your two remaining cards, or last card in some cases, isn't going to help you maneuver onto the opponents tail. One thought I had is when tailing is successful you can draw a random card from the remainder of your maneuver deck and use it to rearrange the remainder of your maneuvers for that turn. For instance if I successfully tail before the first movement of the turn, I get to draw 1 card randomly from my maneuver deck and then plan my next three moves based on those 4 cards (discarding one afterwards). It would add a chance for you to really capitalize on a tail, without making it impossible to escape from.

Smoke: I read on here that someones house rules is to treat it like fire, drawing a damage card a turn until it comes up as engine damage, fire, or explosion while not accumulating the damage points. We play the same way, but if you draw another smoke card the smoke goes out and the danger of bursting into flames or exploding goes with it.

Your thoughts on the above?

Pseudotheist
03-02-2010, 13:00
I like the smoke rule, but I don't like your tailing rule specifically because now I have to randomize my maneuver decks. That's gonna slow down my maneuver selection as everything's gonna be out of order. Just a thought. Also, tailing may not happen often, but between considering you're pretty much always gonna be aiming whenever your tailing, how many times do you need to pull it off before it's devastating?

FreefallGeek
03-03-2010, 06:22
What about checking for tailing at the end of every maneuver and allowing the pilot to use any of the three cards, including ones used on a previous maneuver (still taking into account stalls and whatnot). For instance if I played straight, straight, turn right and I was tailing going into the third maneuver, being able to substitute a previously played straight instead of having to veer off? This still allows for a little bit better chance to stay on someones tail.

The Blue Baron
03-03-2010, 06:58
What about checking for tailing at the end of every maneuver and allowing the pilot to use any of the three cards, including ones used on a previous maneuver (still taking into account stalls and whatnot). For instance if I played straight, straight, turn right and I was tailing going into the third maneuver, being able to substitute a previously played straight instead of having to veer off? This still allows for a little bit better chance to stay on someones tail.

I like that idea!

Pseudotheist
03-03-2010, 07:14
I prefer that, but there are some caveats. Now, if I'm tailing, I can just play something along the lines of left/right/straight. Good luck shaking me...

Also, If I played a sharp right turn, and I only have one, am I allowed to use it 3 times?

FreefallGeek
03-03-2010, 07:23
I prefer that, but there are some caveats. Now, if I'm tailing, I can just play something along the lines of left/right/straight. Good luck shaking me...

Also, If I played a sharp right turn, and I only have one, am I allowed to use it 3 times?

Very good points... Hmm.
If only I was as effective at blowing holes into my enemy as your are into my ideas. :)

krolik
03-03-2010, 10:37
In our group we check for tailing every card, and if you can tail, you get to re-choose (or choose your 3 cards if its the beginng of the turn) your remaining cards after seeing what the victim's card is.

Yes, this makes tailing much deadlier, but its not that hard to break a tail. The only time we've seen a tail that couldn't be broken before the victim was shot down was when a DrI was tailing an RE8.

sparty
03-03-2010, 17:52
A couple notes:

Tailing -

The reason why it's a 1 time a round thing is that you get the benefit for the round. If you reduce it to checking each card, then you're also losing the ability sooner too since it's pretty easy for a spad to pull away from a tailing DR.I with just a straight!

Smoke -

I'm down with your mechanic for making smoke go away. Why though does smoke give damage? A lot of things could cause an engine to smoke that wouldn't necessarily mean you're out of the fight for good.