PDA

View Full Version : Marking for a victory over an Italian plane?

Wholenineyards
07-29-2012, 19:44
I know Allied pilots often used to mark a victory with a Balken cross or Japanese flag, but what was used for an Italian victory...Italian flag?

Thanks!

wargamer
07-29-2012, 22:37
probably just another swastika unless they had someone who draw various symbols

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/it%5Erou40.gif1940-1943

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/it%5Erou43.gif1943

http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/i/it%5Erousr.gif 1943-1945

Good luck... but I would guess that the local armorers and maintenance men would have just simplified it to be just another axis kill and use the swastika.

Carl_Brisgamer
07-30-2012, 00:34
I know Allied pilots often used to mark a victory with a Balken cross or Japanese flag, but what was used for an Italian victory...Italian flag?

Thanks!

Hi Bryan,

Here are a couple of close ups of Australian ace Clive Caldwell's Spitfire bearing his credited victory marks over German, Italian and Japanese aircraft.

Cheers,

Carl.

Wholenineyards
07-30-2012, 06:48
Thank you, that is just what I was looking for. I was unsuccessful googling several combinations, but knew the answer would be here. I made pilot sheets for my boys and have victories marked on them. They are in a fictious Sqdn that is currently involved in the battle of France. I wanted to take them throughout the BoB, Malta and North Afrca too. After that, I think the Sqdn will be off the Burma. My youngest is very much into the pilot/campaign thing and doesn't wNt anything to happen to his soon to be Ace. ;)

Attila57
07-30-2012, 08:22
The tri-color roundel was used in World War II after Italy joined the Allies while Aviazione Nazionale Repubblicana Air Force (RSI Air Force) roundels were a tricolour flag as flank roundel and a couple of fasces as wing roundels (the third one in Al post).

I think Allied used only fasces roundels to mark a victory.

Attilio

csadn
07-30-2012, 13:17
Side note: For some reason, Soviet pilots marked victories with Soviet stars.

Carl_Brisgamer
07-30-2012, 13:36

The VVS pilots used red stars because they were forbidden to soil their aircraft with 'filthy fascist symbols'.

wargamer
07-30-2012, 15:20

ah, must have been the original red on red scenarios.... :)

Rat of Vengence
08-04-2012, 23:16
Hi Bryan,

Here are a couple of close ups of Australian ace Clive Caldwell's Spitfire bearing his credited victory marks over German, Italian and Japanese aircraft.

Cheers,

Carl.

Heh, I was going to search and post that exact same picture when I saw the OP, but you were already there :)

RoV

Carl_Brisgamer
08-05-2012, 02:18
Heh, I was going to search and post that exact same picture when I saw the OP, but you were already there :)

RoV

I already had that photo uploaded to my profile ;)