PDA

View Full Version : First sortie

von Auerbergh
03-02-2010, 00:09
At last my friend was back from holidays, so we shared the deluxe set and started playing, using the basic rules ...

Richthofen/Udet vs. Barker/Baracca
Udet went straight on to the enemies, which stayed nearly side by side, while Richthofen tried to pass them bei their left and get behind them. A hard piece of work with all those right-turn-cards ... next time IŽll know better ;)
Barker and Baracca began separate actions. So Udet and Barker dogfighted for a long time, while Baracca went far out, and Richthoven tried to support Udet.
Baracca came back - real quick plane - and Richthoven got hit. After that Baracca evaded from the table ...
So it was now 2-on-1 and the dogfight really began ... until we managed to collide with all three planes

It went for about 90 minutes. basic rules are pretty clear, but in certain situations we looked what advanced rules would work, and we decided to use those in the future. We agreed that there are to many zero-damage-cards and also that the explosion damage would make this a real short game ...

We really enjoied this game and will buy some twoseaters - we own already the B-damage-deck ;)

BvA

Papavader
03-02-2010, 00:15
Hi,...
a thrilling, first Air Sortie, very nice!
thank you for sharing.

Mfg

Andreas

sparty
03-02-2010, 06:47
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Those 2 player 4 plane matchups can be extremely fun. Just remember, it's all about creating an unfair matchup in the skies. So while splitting your planes seems like a great idea, it can be disaster if your opponent doesn't take the bait!

One thing I've learned can be fun is bleeding a little speed from one plane at the start so he's just behind and to the side of the lead plane. That way you can often react with the 2nd plane better and a lot of times get in a critical early 2nd shot as well.

The Blue Baron
03-02-2010, 06:59
One thing I've learned can be fun is bleeding a little speed from one plane at the start so he's just behind and to the side of the lead plane. That way you can often react with the 2nd plane better and a lot of times get in a critical early 2nd shot as well.

An other move that often works good is the thach weave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thach_Weave).

sparty
03-02-2010, 08:21
Yeah definitely!! I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but definitely intend on doing it. Is it easier if both planes are the same speed, or if they're slightly off does that help?

The Blue Baron
03-02-2010, 08:24
Both works fine. But - as you don't like to have a collision with your second plane after the first "half-circle" - different speeds work make it a little easier...

von Auerbergh
03-02-2010, 10:59
Both sounds good, especially the Thach weave. IŽll keep it in mind ...

I think the weave would work best with planes, which have a "balanced" manoeverability to the left and right - not like Dr.1 and Camel, which have far more right turns. If IŽm right, what german planes would work best?

BvA

The Blue Baron
03-03-2010, 01:02
Both sounds good, especially the Thach weave. IŽll keep it in mind ...

I think the weave would work best with planes, which have a "balanced" manoeverability to the left and right - not like Dr.1 and Camel, which have far more right turns. If IŽm right, what german planes would work best?

BvA

A pair of the same type!
;)

Jythier
03-04-2010, 03:52
Does the weave really work? If the target it tailing you, isn't he going to get in more than enough shots to cover any damage the weavers would do?

The Blue Baron
03-04-2010, 04:08
The idea is that the planes watch the back of each other. Therefore nobody WANTS to tail you...

sparty
03-04-2010, 17:36
And in that case you've basically got a 2 on 1 for the kill shot since you can trick the tailing plane with a quick turn, straight, immelmann (straight next turn)...which can be really nasty in say the Fokker DVII since that plane has a stall that's not a steep maneuver and is straight so you can play it after an immelmann or right before it.

Then you've got two vs one with at least 3 shots on that 1 plane which is pretty devastating since you're likely to get a +1 on the damage using the "aiming" optional rules.

von Auerbergh
03-05-2010, 00:09
Next sortie is scheduled for tuesday. Then I will try those nasty things :) Report will follow.

BvA

sparty
03-07-2010, 19:42
Best advice I've received and given is this:

Have fun and be aggressive.

Jythier
03-09-2010, 05:00
Wait a minute, you can play the stall without the steep after an immelman turn? I wouldn't think so... you need to play a straight. A straight is a maneuver card with the arrow pointing forward icon on it, which the unsteep stall does not have.

The Blue Baron
03-09-2010, 05:34
Wait a minute, you can play the stall without the steep after an immelman turn? I wouldn't think so... you need to play a straight. A straight is a maneuver card with the arrow pointing forward icon on it, which the unsteep stall does not have.

Yes, you can. The "stall without the steep" is a straight. A short one but a straight nevertheless.

Jythier
03-09-2010, 06:46
No arrow, no straight. Or is it a misprint?

Colmanspig
03-09-2010, 11:50
this sounds like wishful thinking for DVII pilots. It seems to go against the in game physics in a big way.

Jythier
03-09-2010, 14:38
By the reasoning put forth by The Blue Baron and anyone else there, doing a stall would be allowed before an Immelman, because an Immelman is not steep, and therefore I could play a stall, which goes straight, before it.

But by my reasoning, you can't do either, because a straight has the arrow icon on it, and a stall doesn't have that. Neither does the non-steep stall. Is there a line of reasoning that allows the one and not the other?

sparty
03-09-2010, 17:48
My bad and good catch!

I didn't see the steep icon on the card and got excited I guess....That was played incorrectly by me for a few games YIKES! :o

No straight icon....no straight card...it's just a stall without a steep.

The Blue Baron
03-10-2010, 00:06
No arrow, no straight. Or is it a misprint?

Right. The card has no forward arrow on it and therefore it is no straight and cannot be played before or after an Immelman Card. To do an Immelman turn you have to play straight-Immelman-straight. (I was wrong before because I thought the card had a forward arrow on it.)

But you can play a stall (short arrow and steep symbol) before the Immelmann card. That move is a Split-S: stall-Immelman-straight.

Btw. the card with the short arrow is no misprint. It can be played before and/or after a steep card.

Oberst Hajj
03-10-2010, 00:38
That is correct, the Fokker DVII non stall steep IS NOT a straight per the rules. It's still a very deadly card though!!

Jythier
03-10-2010, 03:58
It's also not a stall per the rules - a split-S is a steep maneuver, so you must play the steep stall before it.

I haven't gotten into altitude yet so I don't think of the split-S, and it's not allowed without altitude as far as I know... but maybe I should start allowing it in preparation.

The Blue Baron
03-10-2010, 04:04
It's also not a stall per the rules - a split-S is a steep maneuver, so you must play the steep stall before it.

That's what I wrote:

you can play a stall (short arrow and steep symbol) before the Immelmann card. That move is a Split-S: stall-Immelman-straight.

Btw. the card with the short arrow is no misprint. It can be played before and/or after a steep card.

Jythier
03-10-2010, 04:06
I know that's what you wrote, I was just so excited we were all in agreement again that I reiterated! :)

The Blue Baron
03-10-2010, 04:19
LOL
Good that we all could make you happy!
:)