PDA

View Full Version : Petersplanes "How to...." No.1

pbhawkin
07-25-2012, 18:26
Hi all.

Firstly, after some discussion with Keith (Oberst Hajj) we felt that I did not need to become a site sponsor as I have such a small turnover (Garage kit maker) but could still 'advertise' my planes in this forum. This allows me to not feel like I am treading on anyone's toes or breaking 'the rules'.

I suppose a little about me is warranted to give you an idea as to where I am coming from.
I became involved in starting making resin planes in 1/144 scale as a member of the Big Gun Combat warships here in Australia (www.ausbg.org) when I could not find a 1/144 scale Arado 196 to put on one of my ships. After making one some of the other club members also wanted various planes for their ships and it grew from there.
I am particularly interested in flyingboats, seaplanes and floatplanes but virtually any 'interesting' plane (such as the Fokker G-1) is attractive to me and a likely contender to be cast more so if it has not been done by anyone else in 1/144.
Over the years I my skills and equipment have improved to where I now have ALL my masters designed by CAD and CnC milled. I vacuum degas the RTV rubber to improve longevity and eliminate pinholes in the mold and pressure cast the resin to (as much as possible) eliminate the dreaded pinholes in the surface and give a consistent smooth surface.
Please note that I do this between working a full-time job as well as a family life with three young boys 10 and under. This means that it may take up to a week or so for me to get a cast done so please keep in contact by email.

So, onto a bit about resin which most of you will know I am sure.
Resin is NOT as scary to work with as a lot of people seem to think!
Sure you can't use regular plastic glue (It's not plastic!!). CA (Superglue) is the glue of choice even for someone like me who has an allegy to it!! A little goes a long way and the use of a toothpick dipped in a small 'pool' of CA on a palette and then placed on the joint of two parts will wick it's way in and secure them well. You can always add more if needed. I find I don't need to use an accelerator at all. Epoxy also works but has a relatively long drying time.
Parts can be brittle, especially smaller bits, and resin doesn't have a great strength for supporting loads (IE landing gear legs on larger planes can buckle). So often adding brass pins between larger parts such as wings and fuselage can add immensly to the strength of the joint.
Resin can warp, especially in direct hot sunlight (just like plastic), BUT any warped part can be fixed with the pouring of boiling water over it and gentle bending between your fingers to the right shape. It will stay in that shape unless reheated again.
It can be filled with regular puttys. This is perhaps one of the biggest issues with resin is that depending on how well it was cast there can be numerous 'pinholes' in/on the surface and even small missing areas especially in corners and thin narrow parts. A fine putty is often needed on large areas of resin kits to fill any 'pinholes'.
Resin also needs to be WELL washed with water and detergent to remove ALL traces of silicon and whatever else was used to help the resin casting out of the mold at time of manufacture. Rubbing alcohol or Iso or IPA will also work fine. If this step is not done then YOU run the risk of paint not adhering to the resin!
It can be sanded and shaped with hobby knives and sandpaper. Any flash can be removed by gentle scrapping or snapping off or cutting with a scalpel and lightly sanding.
Any paint can adhere to it (see above about cleaning first). I use a lot of different brands: Vallejo (model air and color), lifecolor, tamiya, humbrol, JPS, Gunze, polly scale, WEM, model master acryl and enamel!

I plan to show some pictures of how I cast a model and WiP pictures as well as various conversions and models.
Any requests are very welcome.

regards
peter hawkins

Flying Officer Kyte
07-26-2012, 01:14
This all sounds very interesting Peter.
I will follow your "
How To with interest"however my main aim at the moment is not to get cast aircraft but 600 scale warships which I find look good with 144 planes but are very hard to source. So if you ever fancy branching out, I need a couple of WWi German Cruisers for starters.
Rob.

Linz
07-26-2012, 04:38
Very keen to see some of your work too.
Linz

Lloydthegamer
07-27-2012, 09:42
Peter makes great models. The Fokker G1 perhaps excepted, but I believe that was one of his first kits and is a bit rough. I've really enjoyed making his models and have the Beaufort, Beaufighter, Do17, and FW 189 plus the G1 in my collection. I'm on vacation right now, but when I get home I'll put on a few "building in progress" photos plus some finished photos. Lloyd

pbhawkin
07-27-2012, 15:26
The Fokker G-1 was a early 2009 model made from a master carved from wood.

Lloydthegamer
07-27-2012, 15:39
Are you eventually going to upgrade the kit? Lloyd

pbhawkin
07-27-2012, 15:49
YES. I will upgrade it as it seems to be a favourite. Maybe after the Wellington.

Baldrick62
07-27-2012, 15:50
I've got a pair of Peter's Beaufighters, and would certainly vouch for their quality! I'm loooking forward to the new release of the Blenheim IV, and hoping for a Hudson and Boston (and maybe an Me410) at some point in the future.

pbhawkin
07-27-2012, 16:15
I have no problems with the idea of any of those planes Baldrick. BUT I would prefer not to make planes that are available already in the same scale. I know the Blenheim is already offered by AIM in 1/200, BUT as it is a plane I already make in 1/144 it was a natural progression. I also do not expect to sell large numbers of the 1/200 version so shouldn't impact on them too much I hope.
My immeadiate plans are to get the Blenheims (1/144 and 1/200) available ASAP followed by the Wellington Mk.III (1/144).
Then probably update the Fokker G.1 to Gold series standard and maybe make it in 1/200 as well.
The Beaufighter and Beaufort MAY be done in 1/200 as well depending on how well the Blenheim goes (both in terms of sales and also how happy I am with it as a model).
The cost for making a Master in 1/200 is $100 and then there are the ongoing molding costs on top, so my aim is to ensure costs are covered.
I think a Hampton and Battle are high on the list in 1/144.
Maybe I will start a poll?

Boney10
07-27-2012, 17:57
Hi Peter, excuse my ignorance here, but is it WW2 only aircraft you are making, in 1/144 & 1/200 or do you do Ww1 too?
Also are your models one piece casts aka Shapeways or kits like Skytrex?

Baldrick62
07-27-2012, 18:02
I have no problems with the idea of any of those planes Baldrick. BUT I would prefer not to make planes that are available already in the same scale. I know the Blenheim is already offered by AIM in 1/200, BUT as it is a plane I already make in 1/144 it was a natural progression. I also do not expect to sell large numbers of the 1/200 version so shouldn't impact on them too much I hope.
My immeadiate plans are to get the Blenheims (1/144 and 1/200) available ASAP followed by the Wellington Mk.III (1/144).
Then probably update the Fokker G.1 to Gold series standard and maybe make it in 1/200 as well.
The Beaufighter and Beaufort MAY be done in 1/200 as well depending on how well the Blenheim goes (both in terms of sales and also how happy I am with it as a model).
The cost for making a Master in 1/200 is $100 and then there are the ongoing molding costs on top, so my aim is to ensure costs are covered.
I think a Hampton and Battle are high on the list in 1/144.
Maybe I will start a poll?

Well, the Blenheim isn't up on your website as available, and 1/144 was the scale I meant, as alluded to by the fact I have your Beaufighters. I look forward to the 1/144 Battle too.

Boney10
07-27-2012, 18:09
Just checked your website, questions answered ;)

pbhawkin
07-27-2012, 19:46
The Blenheim has only just had the master in 1/144 made. I have yet to even start making a mold and the 1/200 version master is underway.
So just putting out feelers and letting people know the current state of play.

Hunter
07-27-2012, 20:33
Interesting about the resin. I look forward to your pics!

Grey Knight
07-29-2012, 08:32
Looking forward to seeing your work...