PDA

View Full Version : fire

Gallo Rojo
07-25-2012, 15:26
if a plane catches fire at the 3rd (i.e. last) maneuver of a given turn... does it has to take an (additional) damage card (due to fire) right then, or does it has to wait until the end of the next turn -- I'm guessing the former, but I would love to have a confirmation on this.
thanks in advance

Marechallannes
07-25-2012, 23:55
No.

Take three fire markers imediately after you recieved the special damage.

The next maneuver you get the first "A" fire damage and discard one token.

That's the difference to damages like rudder jam or engine damage. That are damages that can't be followed in the actual planed turn.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-26-2012, 01:45
That is interesting Sven. I have always assumed that the fire takes a bit of time to get hold and the initial fire card damage takes one to the start of the next turn. That is the point at which I aquire the first of the additional three fire damage cards.
Thanks for clarifying the rule.
Rob.

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 02:54
Rob, you are right. Fire burns through 3 turns, not 3 manouvers. In the begining of each of the three turns you draw A card. That means your craft is on fire 9 manouvers (3 extra A cards are drawn).

Watchdog
07-26-2012, 03:16
The airplane that draws the fire damage card actually burns for 6-8 manoeuvres, depending on the manoeuvre in which the card was drawn.

The airplane is considered on fire from the moment it draws the card, for the rest of that turn and for two more turns. As soon as it discards the last flame counter it is no longer on fire.

Before revealing the first manoeuvre of each of the next three turns you discard one flame counter and take an A damage card (only damage and explosion count, no special damage counts).

Kaiser
07-26-2012, 03:19
Nightbomber explained it correctly.

Oh and don't assume that the aircraft is brightly ablaze. If it turns into a flying ball of flame it is shot down. The "Fire" special damage is more of a small fire in the engine of the aircraft. You would see black smoke coming out of the engine and perhabs small sparks of flame liking out of it. If lucky it will go out if not the very farbrik of the aircraft will catch fire and go down in flames (this is the point when the maximum damage capacity of your aircraft is reached while still possessing Fire counters).

As i mentioned a trail of black smoke for "Fire" special damage: The "Smoke" special damage would be a trail of white smoke as oil, coolant, and other fluids drip on the hot engine and vaporate.

Blauer Baron
07-26-2012, 05:04
No.

That's the difference to damages like rudder jam or engine damage. That are damages that can't be followed in the actual planed turn.

Sven is "right" according to the German rules as "they read". However if you you study the sentence in German it actually does refer to each "Zug", meaning each round of three manoeuvre cards being shown, but is slightly ambiguos as it is written. I have read them many times and always understood them as meaning "draw an A damage" for each of the next three manoeuvre cards. From a point of view of playing, this gets the thing over and done with quickly.

Remembering to apply the A card damage is easier. The build up is more exciting in this shorter space of time (will my plane make it?) and either the plane is quickly done with, or there is a sigh of relief after three manoeuvres.

Ok fire does/ may well have/ spread slowly. But seen as a game mechanism, the "quick three" might be better. Having never played the longer, drawn-out fire damage I cannot say how this feels. Any feedback on this "feel" lads and Lassies??

Kevin.

Watchdog
07-26-2012, 05:06
Daniel, I think that Andrzej's post is not entirely correct, the plane never burns for as long as 9 manoeuvres, only 6-8 manoeuvres.

When you discard the third flame counter and take the third A damage card, the fire goes out, that means only two full turns on fire plus 0-2 manoeuvres after you draw the fire damage card.

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 05:18
Daniel, I think that Andrzej's post is not entirely correct, the plane never burns for as long as 9 manoeuvres, only 6-8 manoeuvres.

When you discard the third flame counter and take the third A damage card, the fire goes out, that means only two full turns on fire plus 0-2 manoeuvres after you draw the fire damage card.

I can not agree, Jan.
Kevin got it right.

Example:
This is turn 3, my plane catches fire while executing the second maneuver. I show it to the other players and take 3 fire counters (and attach a plastic fire marker). Then I execute the third maneuver. Turn 4th starts. I draw A damage card, loosing one fire counter. Execute 3 maneuvers. Turn 5th starts. I draw the second A card, loosing the second fire counter and execute 3 maneuvers. Turn 6th starts. I draw the third A card, loosing the third fire counter, taking off the fire marker and execute 3 maneuvers.
This is how we play.

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 05:20
No.

Too fast, Sven :eek:, I think. The first A (fire damage card) you draw in the beginning of the NEXT turn of three maneuvers.

Marechallannes
07-26-2012, 06:22
Thanks to Kevin. Thought I was completly insane...:salute:

Here in Germany the planes burn faster.

You get hit - the next three maneuvers you get an "A"-damage and the fire burns no more.

You really let your planes burn 3 complete turns?

:lol:

The way it is written in the German rules fits to the WW II WoG rules. You get the special damage - take 6 flame markers - and draw an "A" damage plate after the next six following maneuvers.

So it was never a question, that my beloved biblane burns three turns!:erk:

...and imagine how much time I have to shoot other planed down, while burning. :D

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 06:49
The way it is written in the German rules fits to the WW II WoG rules. You get the special damage - take 6 flame markers - and draw an "A" damage plate after the next six following maneuvers.

:eek: - before revealing the manoeuver card :)

It's high time we understood the rules, chaps! The Tournament commences in 48 hours!:lol:

Burt
07-26-2012, 07:05
We have always played it as taking a damage card at the beginning of each set of three manoeuvres before revealing the first manoeuvre card for three turns.
Don

diceslinger
07-26-2012, 07:20
This is the relevant quote from the English rulebooks (they all read about the same):

"The (Flame) symbol means that the airplane has caught fire. Take
three “flame” counters and put them in the “damage” space on
the gameboard. Each turn, before revealing the first Maneuver
of the turn, the player discards a “Flame” counter and he takes a
Damage card from A deck..."

Now for balloons it says
"When a balloon catches fire, put a flame counter on it. The balloon
takes an A damage card at the start of each turn, just as
airplanes do."

So I assume you take the balloon damage right before revealing the first maneuver.

It seems to me that you might get into a situation when chasing a burning plane or balloon where you plan your move to chase or attack him and he draws an explosion or the like. You are then spending a turn chasing nothing. I have always drawn the damage before the planning phase (bypassing the scenario above), but by the rulebook that is incorrect.

Now the WWI Dawn of War set does say 6 tokens removing one each maneuver. Ouch!

flash
07-26-2012, 09:19
In answer to your question Kevin it does sometimes give you a chance to finish a mission, kill or escape an enemy but the tension is no less !

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 09:24
In answer to your question Kevin it does sometimes give you a chance to finish a mission, kill or escape an enemy but the tension is no less !

That's the point :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
07-26-2012, 09:32
Wel, there we go then chaps. I am glad I have been doing it right all along, otherwise all the chaps that I have been playing all these years have been wrong as well.
Rob.

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 09:41
Wel, there we go then chaps. I am glad I have been doing it right all along, otherwise all the chaps that I have been playing all these years have been wrong as well.
Rob.

I'd loose my heart completely if you said you had been playing wrong way, Rob. There must be someone and something firm in this world of chaos:D

Oberst Hajj
07-26-2012, 10:00
The reason in WWII that you take 6 flame counters and draw a damage chit each maneuver is that there is no "turns". The cards just continuously slide to the left.

Willi Von Klugermann
07-26-2012, 10:11
I can not agree, Jan.
Kevin got it right.

Example:
This is turn 3, my plane catches fire while executing the second maneuver. I show it to the other players and take 3 fire counters (and attach a plastic fire marker). Then I execute the third maneuver. Turn 4th starts. I draw A damage card, loosing one fire counter. Execute 3 maneuvers. Turn 5th starts. I draw the second A card, loosing the second fire counter and execute 3 maneuvers. Turn 6th starts. I draw the third A card, loosing the third fire counter, taking off the fire marker and execute 3 maneuvers.
This is how we play.

I think Jan is right. From Andrzej's description his plane is ablaze for 1 card in turn 3, 3 cards in turns 4 and 5 for a total of 7 cards, with the fire extinguishing on turn 6

Watchdog
07-26-2012, 10:30
Exactly, there is absolutely no way the plane will burn for 9 manoeuvres. Andrzej, you may have counted the manoeuvres wrong, but we essentially agree.

1) If you draw the fire damage after the first manoeuvre in a turn, your plane burns for 2 remaining manoeuvres of that turn (not causing any damage yet) and then 3+3 of the next two turns (both worth an A damage card), then it goes out before the next turn's first manoeuvre is revealed (that is when it takes the third A damage card and discards the third flame counter). Total of 8 manoeuvres on fire.

2) If you draw the fire damage after the second manoeuvre in a turn, your plane burns for 1 remaining manoeuvre of that turn and then 3+3 of the next two turns, then it goes out before the next turn's first manoeuvre is revealed. Total of 7 manoeuvres on fire.

3) If you draw the fire damage after the third manoeuvre in a turn, your plane then burns for the 3+3 of the next two turns, then it goes out before the next turn's first manoeuvre is revealed. Total of 6 manoeuvres on fire.

No matter how I try I see no way a plane could burn for 9 manoeuvres.

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 11:00
Your manouver counting chaps is right.
I think we agree at one point. The flaming crate will have to stand 3 extra A cards drawn, counting from the NEXT turn after which it caught fire. The exact number of manouvers "on fire" is much less significant.

From the rulebook: "Each turn, before revealing the first maneuver of the turn, the player discards a flame counter and takes a damage card from A deck"

You simply exchange a counter for a card.

Burt
07-26-2012, 11:59
I agree with Andrjez the number of manoeuvres the plane is on fire is irrelevant, you just take an extra A card at the beginning of the next three turns.

Oberst Hajj
07-26-2012, 12:00
Okay, this should make it easier for the WWI fire....

The plane takes the fire special damage card after Maneuver 1 in Turn 1 (the green M1). At this point it is considered "on fire". For M2 and M3 of Turn 1, it is on fire, but has not taken any damage from fire yet.

At the start of Turn 2 it takes it's first A damage from the fire (the red FT (for Flame Token)). It is "on fire" for M1, M2, and M3 of Turn 2.

At the start of Turn 3, it takes it's second A damage from the fire (again, the red FT). It is "on fire" for M1, M2, and M3 of Turn 3.

At the start of Turn 4, it takes it's third and final A damage from the fire (again, the red FT). If the plane has not been destroyed from the fire at this point, the fire goes out. It is not on fire for M1, M2, or M3 for Turn 4.

So, the maximum number of maneuver cards a plane can be on fire for is 8 (Turn 1 M2 thru Turn Three M3). The least it can be on fire for is 6 (Turn 2 M1 thru Turn 3 M3 (having caught on fire in the damage phase after Turn 1 M3)).

Flying Officer Kyte
07-26-2012, 12:51
I'd loose my heart completely if you said you had been playing wrong way, Rob. There must be someone and something firm in this world of chaos:D

I don't do Chaos Andrzej. I have never done Chaos.
Even my 40k Army were Squats.
Rob.

Nightbomber
07-26-2012, 23:20
:erk: I hope I was not misunderstood...:erk:
That was a tribute to a competent player...

Marechallannes
07-27-2012, 02:05
It's high time we understood the rules, chaps! The Tournament commences in 48 hours!:lol:

Thanks to the "brilliant" translation of the WoW rules in German.:hmm:

Remember our "Trenchfire" discussion.

So it's realy time for the new WoG rule & accessoire pack.

...for our Con: I try to make the other planes burn, so I don't care for fire damage! :lol:

flash
07-27-2012, 02:22
....So it's realy time for the new WoG rule & accessoire pack....

So long as the translation is accurate Sven ! :erk: ;)

Marechallannes
07-27-2012, 04:00
I'll buy it in English, too.

Like the new WW II starter set.

So we have the same rules and the same information.;)

Gallo Rojo
07-27-2012, 07:50
wow!* I thought mine was just a simple question! :eek:

* I've said 'wow' in a WoW forum :hmm:

Zoe Brain
07-27-2012, 17:04
* I've said 'wow' in a WoW forum :hmm:

WoW. WGF. WGS. WFP. WTF? (White, Flexible, Polished)

gully_raker
07-27-2012, 19:17
I can not agree, Jan.
Kevin got it right.

Example:
This is how we play.

:thumbsup: Yep! Thats how we play it & how it reads in my Rule Book.;)

gully_raker
07-27-2012, 19:26
I don't do Chaos Andrzej. I have never done Chaos.
Even my 40k Army were Squats.
Rob.

:cheezy: Iam with you Rob!
Not a hint of Chaos in my Sisters of Battle, Black Templars & Valhallan Guard.
I HATE CHAOS! Even my Inquisitor is "Puritan.

Incidentally you might get a "giggle" from the attached pic in view of all the Scientology stuff going around in the Media.

Gallo Rojo
07-28-2012, 06:23
WoW. WGF. WGS. WFP. WTF? (White, Flexible, Polished)

WMD?