flash
07-24-2012, 02:31
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Fly For Your Life Author:
Larry Forrester ISBN:
1841450251 Category:
Biography Format:
Paperback and Hardback Summary:
The first WW2 bio I ever read is about Robert Roland Stanford Tuck, DSO, DFC & two bars and 29 official victories.. A very well written account of his life from pre-RAF days, pre-war flying, a fatal collision with a colleague (both aircraft crashing a few miles from where I live) through the struggles of the Battle of Britain, promotions from flight through to Wing Commands, visit to the US, into the Rhubarb era flying over the occupied countries of Europe taking the battle to the enemy, to him being shot down & taken POW in 1942, then on to his time in Stalag Luft III of great Escape fame (he should have been in that but was moved days before), his escape in the closing weeks of the war & the adventures to get home. I've just re-read my 1956 copy but it is still available. Cannot recommend this enough !

fast.git
02-28-2013, 12:16
First WWII bio for me as well. Well written and engaging, this biography of one of the RAF's larger-than-life personas is every bit as good today as it was when I first read it, 30 years ago. An excellent marksman and contemporary of Bader and Malan, Robert Stanford Tuck amassed 29 air-to-air victories in the skies over France and Britain before being brought down by ground fire in January of 1942... leaving me wondering as to his final tally should his fortunes have been somewhat different.

If you're interested in the period in particular, or air combat in general, then this is the book for you.