PDA

View Full Version : Quentin Roosevelt's first kill

diceslinger
07-23-2012, 14:33
So I got this idea from a bit in Eddie Rickenbacker’s autobiography. **Edit** Quentin was President Theodore Roosevelt's favorite son.
Mission:
Quentin Roosevelt got separated from his formation after he brazenly flew off on his own to investigate an enemy formation. Realizing he was lost and outnumbered 20 to one, he resolved to be prudent and turned around to find his own formation. Spying his own formation he took the rearmost place and flew along with his fellow flyers for fifteen minutes. Suddenly the head of the formation waggled his wings and dove to the left. Upon the wings of the diving plane he saw not the roundels of his countrymen, but the Maltese Cross! This wasn't his formation, he had been flying in formation with the Boche! Quentin immediately fired a long burst at the German plane in front of him....

German side: 3 Fokker D.VII. I use Richard Bradley's solo rules to control them. **Edit** You can use the more aggressive solo L deck that Blackronin developed for an extra challenge. (thanks Watchdog!)
American side: Quentin Roosevelt flew a Nieuport 28, but I don't have one, so I would use the A-Firing Nieuport 17 and give him the Ace skills Quick at Shooting and Daredevil for solo play. These two fit in with his flying style of brashness and luck. **edit** F.O Kyte suggested using the unofficial stats for the Nieuport. F deck, A damage, 14 hit points, top altitude of 12 and climb rate of 3.

Quick at shooting: each time that firing is resolved, first let all the aces with this special ability. Then take away eliminated planes: only the surviving airplanes can fire.
Daredevil: can do two steep maneuvers in a row. Once this ability is used, it can not be re-used for the rest of the turn and for the whole next one. Use a blank counter to remember that you used the ability and discard it after a turn.

Start the 3 Fokkers in formation at the center of the table within 1 ruler length of each other. Place Roosevelt's plane at the back of the formation within 1/2 ruler length of the last Fokker.

**Edit** I would have the last Fokker bug out once two are downed. The Germans were stunned by the American's "Indian warfare" and having the last one turn back seems pretty in character for this incident.

This scenario is pretty even if you use the solo rules, as Roosevelt get a free shot at close range to start and most likely will be tailing the first turn. If you play against someone controlling the Fokkers, you will need reinforcements to rescue Roosevelt, so throw some more Nieuports coming on from the edge behind Roosevelt to represent his Hat in the Ring buddies. Roosevelt may not need the ace skill if he has help and I would limit it to 3 on 3. Historically Roosevelt shot down one plane and bugged out, so i am already taking a bit of license with this scenario.

Let me know how it turns out if anyone tries it!

csadn
07-23-2012, 19:13
I can already tell how this is going to turn out: The N.17 is far too slow, unmaneuverable, underarmed, and weakly-built to go against *one* D.VII, never mind three.

If a N.28 proper is unavailable, a better match would be a Hanriot A-deck; or a Camel sans the "sharp right turn" cards if one is a "minis bigot". :)

Oberst Hajj
07-23-2012, 20:27
I would agree that the Nieuport is going to get fokkered! You could have him in a SPAD XIII. That would be somewhat historically accurate and give him a fighting chance. It does sound like a fun mission though!

Flying Officer Kyte
07-24-2012, 01:52
Why not fly your 17 as a 28, and just upgrade it as per the unofficial stats in the files section Shawn.
That would give it an F deck, A damage, 14 hit points, top altitude of 12 and climb rate of 3.
Rob.

flash
07-24-2012, 04:03
What a fun scenario Shawn - maybe we should steal it for Over The Trenches Rob ?! :)

Oberst Hajj
07-24-2012, 04:29
Why not fly your 17 as a 28, and just upgrade it as per the unofficial stats in the files section Shawn.
That would give it an F deck, A damage, 14 hit points, top altitude of 12 and climb rate of 3.
Rob.

Good idea that!

Watchdog
07-24-2012, 04:58
Shawn, if you want to have a more aggressive L deck, try this:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38049&d=1333151177

Joaquim (Blackronin) created a more challenging version of Richard Bradley's solo rules, the rest of the decks can be found in his album here:
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1240

Niclas
07-24-2012, 06:53
Interesting scenario, Shawn - Thanks for sharing!

/Niclas

diceslinger
07-24-2012, 07:39
Thanks for all the suggestions! I think using the solo rules the Fokkers fly a lot more docile, so while the Fokkers should normally eat the Nieuport's lunch, with a few ace skills I thought it would be closer to a 50-50 chance. The Fokkers also don't team up using the solo rules as effectively, so in my experience a decent pilot can take them out in a 1-2 ratio. I forgot to mention to use A firing Nieuports however. The B firing ones would be tougher. If the Fokkers are played by people you will need reinforcements. Better send ole Rickenbacker in after him!
This is a very unusual happenstance and it is amazing that Rosevelt didn't get chased and downed. The advantage should go to the Fokkers. He was actually shot down 4 days later. His bad eyesight was probably the only reason he got into this scrape, but lick was with him on that day. Hope for the explosion card!

I like the suggestion to use the Nieuport 28 unoffical stats. I had no idea they existed. You guys do some great work here! I'll have to try that out. I'm editing my initial post to include that info. Thanks for the feedback!