PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to this!

deephorse
07-23-2012, 05:40
Hello everyone.

I am now in my 46th year of wargaming, but only ‘discovered’ WWI air warfare gaming a couple of months ago. Now this is going to be heresy to some/most of you, but it wasn’t via Wings of War. A friend introduced the group I play with to ‘Canvas Eagles’, and I have to say that I was hooked. Naturally I wanted some aircraft to go with this game and so discovered Wings of War/Glory miniatures.

Another of my faults is that I’m a collector, and having discovered that there were several series of WoW miniatures in existence I just had to try to obtain them all. But, as you know, I’m probably a little too late to fully achieve that ambition. Still, I’ve got all series 1 and 2, a couple of 3 and a good number of 4. I’ve also got the Revised Deluxe pack and the Ares bombers. So maybe one day? But they don’t sit in their boxes, all are used for play.

So if I don’t play WoW why am I here? Well your group looks like the best place to find news about the release of Ares’ product. Plus there’s a lot of information about modelling and the historical side of this hobby, about which I know very little at present.

So I’m looking forward to a happy and rewarding membership of The Aerodrome.

Thanks for having me,

Andrew

David Manley
07-23-2012, 05:43
Hi Andrew,

Welcome aboard, and I hope you enjoy the Aerodrome community. Don't worry about not using the rules. I'm half like you - I play WoW, but I've also written my own set of WW1 and WW2 (and modern) air rules which I also use.

grumpybear
07-23-2012, 05:55
Hi from Alberta

Willi Von Klugermann
07-23-2012, 06:10
Welcome Andrew. I still have a good number of extra series 3 if you're looking to round out your collection. Take a look at Willi's Wunderhaus in the For Sale section of the forum.

Boney10
07-23-2012, 06:14
Welcome Andrew, from Bristol, no doubt Ill see you in the mess :)

Blauer Baron
07-23-2012, 06:17
Series 1 & 2 "available"??:eek: Dear Mr.Deephorse, dear Andrew. What magic powers do you possess :dazed: ...to have only recently joined the fold, :pint: ...but to already have the holy grails of series one and two?!!:erk::envy::singin::clap: welcome to the flying club!! I think you win the title "Quick Collector".;) It would be interesting to hear your story, of how you turned them up. I had hoped to find such rareities at two small toy and model shops I had tracked down, in a small town I was visiting at the weekend. However when there, it turned out both had just shut down recently, due to supermarket competition and internet shopping (according to the owner of the radio controlled models shop, which is the only hobby shop left, in addition to a handycraft hobby store). So any story of finds is a welcome one. (The sad news also came of the pending closure of the last large toy and games shop in the nearest big city). Anyway, sorry to digress. Back to your magic powers....please tell.

Nightbomber
07-23-2012, 07:18
Welcome from Poland, Andrew:)

bsmith13
07-23-2012, 07:20
Welcome to the site, Andrew!

Flying Officer Kyte
07-23-2012, 07:35
I can now formally welcome you to the drome on behalf of all the Squadrons based here in Dear old Blighty Andrew.
You have come to the right place to fulfill those needs which you list, and where better to start than in the Officers' Mess where you can enjoy both the hospitality and the knowledge of all the pilots who frequent its hallowed tin walls.
Who knows I may even buy the first round.
Kyte.

Niclas
07-23-2012, 08:13
Welcome from Sweden, Andrew!
I'm also impressed that you've managed to pick up series I & II - Quite a feat this late in the game!

/Niclas

flash
07-23-2012, 08:29
Welcome to the 'drome from a sunny Sussex coast today Andrew - maybe you will turn to the dark side one day !?!

deephorse
07-23-2012, 08:30
Welcome from Sweden, Andrew!
I'm also impressed that you've managed to pick up series I & II - Quite a feat this late in the game!

/Niclas

Well there's no secret to obtaining these models. Just a lot of time trawling the internet and Google searching. I eventually found Series 1 and 2 on an auction site and was prepared to pay more than the other bidders. Various Series 3 aircraft came from a guy in Canada, and surprisingly I found that Amazon UK had some of what I wanted, and at sensible prices too. I'm just willing to buy from anywhere (just about!) to get the sets. That's the collector defect in me!

Now that I've seen that some of you guys trade too I'll be looking at your lists.

Andrew

deephorse
07-23-2012, 08:33
Hi Andrew,

Welcome aboard, and I hope you enjoy the Aerodrome community. Don't worry about not using the rules. I'm half like you - I play WoW, but I've also written my own set of WW1 and WW2 (and modern) air rules which I also use.

Hello David.

I've come across your posts before, because I'm also interested in ACW naval wargaming and have 'seen' you on various naval forums.

Archidamus
07-23-2012, 08:47
Hi Andrew, and welcome to the 'drome from down here in a sunny (at last) Kent

Flying Officer Kyte
07-23-2012, 08:53
Well there's no secret to obtaining these models. Just a lot of time trawling the internet and Google searching. I eventually found Series 1 and 2 on an auction site and was prepared to pay more than the other bidders. Various Series 3 aircraft came from a guy in Canada, and surprisingly I found that Amazon UK had some of what I wanted, and at sensible prices too. I'm just willing to buy from anywhere (just about!) to get the sets. That's the collector defect in me!

Now that I've seen that some of you guys trade too I'll be looking at your lists.

Andrew

That's not a collector defect Andrew. It's a gift.:clap:
What an asset it is to have that gene.
Just don't tell your Bank Manager or Credit Card Company about it!
Rob.

deephorse
07-23-2012, 09:01
Bank Manager? It's my partner I'm more worried about!!!

Burt
07-23-2012, 09:07
Hi Andrew welcome from sunny Somerset (today).
The only planes available here in Taunton are a Belgian RE8 (x5) and the green and brown UFAG (x1)
Don

deephorse
07-23-2012, 09:26
Hi Andrew welcome from sunny Somerset (today).
The only planes available here in Taunton are a Belgian RE8 (x5) and the green and brown UFAG (x1)
Don

Hello Burt,

I have the UFAG, but who stocks the RE8 if you don't mind my asking?

Andrew

Niclas
07-23-2012, 09:48
You're not alone in this. If you look through the Aerodrome threads, mainly in the Officer's Club I think, you'll find that many of them deal with this particular problem.

/Niclas

Zakopious
07-23-2012, 09:58
Andrew,
Welcome to the Aerodrome from Sheffield Lake, Ohio.
Ken

Guntruck
07-23-2012, 10:29
Hi Andrew,

Welcome from Essex.

Dwarflord22
07-23-2012, 10:40
Welcome to the Aerodrome from Texas! :saltute:

Burt
07-23-2012, 11:00
The shop is called Krackers in Taunton.
Don't know if they do mail order but the contact details are on their website.
If you have any problems I can buy one and send it to you.
Don
http://www.krackers.com/

Hello Burt,

I have the UFAG, but who stocks the RE8 if you don't mind my asking?

Andrew

deephorse
07-23-2012, 11:14
The shop is called Krackers in Taunton.
Don't know if they do mail order but the contact details are on their website.
If you have any problems I can buy one and send it to you.
Don
http://www.krackers.com/

Thanks Burt, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Andrew

Flying Officer Kyte
07-23-2012, 11:30

:thumbsup:Never fear Andrew.:wafangry:
There is a whole thread on here about how to deal with errant partners or SWMBOs as they are known amongst the chaps on the Drome.:minis::clap:
Rob.

wargamer
07-23-2012, 11:43
Welcome from Florida!

Burt
07-23-2012, 12:07
Doms Decals https://sslrelay.com/www.domsdecals.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1549459b4233f52/shopdata/index.shopscript
has a number of planes left as well.
Don

deephorse
07-23-2012, 13:16
Thank you.

Baldrick62
07-23-2012, 14:29
G'Day Deephorse,
As another Canvas Eagles/CY6! player lurking on the forum, welcome. Series 3 & 4, particularly the two-seaters, are probably the most available Ares models still about, and can still be picked up on evilBay for reasonable prices if you can't locate a store that stocks them. Good luck and good hunting,
BofB

Naharaht
07-23-2012, 19:14
Welcome to the Aerodrome, Andrew, from here in Norwich.

Prodromoi
07-23-2012, 23:57
Welcome from another newbie!

gb030104
07-24-2012, 00:20
Andrew,
You sir, are my hero. Toy soldier addiction is nothing to be ashamed of ;)

Doug
07-24-2012, 01:11
QUOTE=gb030104;159608]Andrew,
You sir, are my hero. Toy soldier addiction is nothing to be ashamed of ;)[/QUOTE]

Try telling that to my ex :wafangry: It was her or my model collection, as any sane model game and collecter, I chose my models :FOK:

gb030104
07-24-2012, 01:24
QUOTE=gb030104;159608]Andrew,
You sir, are my hero. Toy soldier addiction is nothing to be ashamed of ;)

Try telling that to my ex :wafangry: It was her or my model collection, as any sane model game and collecter, I chose my models :FOK:[/QUOTE]

Yet, somehow, I bet she could have easily spent an equal amount on shoes or handbags :hmm:
That's why I prefers dogs to humans - as long as you put enough food in their bellies they'll let you spend the rest on whatever you want

Zoe Brain
07-24-2012, 01:41
Try telling that to my ex :wafangry: It was her or my model collection, as any sane model game and collecter, I chose my models :FOK:

I knew I'd found the right partner when I saw the model railway and copy of Panzerblitz.

CappyTom
07-24-2012, 02:42
Welcome aboard Andrew, glad to have you. I wish you the best on your quest for all the series planes. If you get a chance you should try out the game itself as well. I think you'll really enjoy it.
:pint:
Thomas

BarryH
07-24-2012, 02:49
Hi Andrew,
Good luck collecting the 'old' series planes.

Niclas
07-24-2012, 03:02
Doms Decals https://sslrelay.com/www.domsdecals.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=1549459b4233f52/shopdata/index.shopscript
has a number of planes left as well.
Don
He also has a complete series I & II for sale at the moment.
(Also the WWII ones.)

/Niclas

Burt
07-24-2012, 04:27
Its only WWII series I and II I think, not WWI.

He also has a complete series I & II for sale at the moment.
(Also the WWII ones.)

/Niclas

Dark Horse
07-24-2012, 05:01
Welcome to one type of horse from another.

Niclas
07-24-2012, 05:54
Its only WWII series I and II I think, not WWI.
You're right. Sorry!

/Niclas

gavain2
07-24-2012, 13:47
Andrew, Hello, I'm Don in Manchester and welcome to the mess. I too am a longtime gamer way back to SPI, still buying games as well.

I haven't been on here long, but it's a very warm and nice place around the fire where everyone has lots of help and advice to offer.

Don

deephorse
07-24-2012, 16:29
Hello Don,

I too was an avid SPI fan. The first one I bought as a young teenager was 'The Moscow Campaign'. I had no opponents in those days but found SPI's games very suitable for solitaire play. In line with my 'Collector Gene' I bought many more SPI games and subscribed to 'Strategy & Tactics' until it was no longer possible to do so in the UK. I still have them all!

After leaving university I was unemployed for six months and so played 'War in the East', solo, to a conclusion with a German victory. It's never been out of the boxes since.

Those were the days!

Andrew

Andrew, Hello, I'm Don in Manchester and welcome to the mess. I too am a longtime gamer way back to SPI, still buying games as well.

I haven't been on here long, but it's a very warm and nice place around the fire where everyone has lots of help and advice to offer.

Don

gavain2
07-25-2012, 01:49
Well, if you are still a player of games look at 'Victory Point' games at Boardgame Guru. Many very good solo ones and reports of them on 'Boardgamegeek'

I have 'Disaster on Everest' and 'Keep up the Fire Boxer Rebellion' very good games and not easy

Don