PDA

View Full Version : Runway usage

Volant Gun
03-01-2010, 11:05
Hi all,

I want to know why we use runways in the game when the air bases at the front did not. They just moved to a large field, planted the maintenance tents and took over the local buildings. It wasn't until the trenches finally settled down to a crawl that the airfields didn't have to move so much. However, they still just used fields. Not runways.

Have Fun,
Frank.

IRM
03-01-2010, 12:01
I think it's just to represent an area that's flat and clear of trees, fences, cows, craters and other things that might make landing a bit tricky:)

AlgyLacey
03-01-2010, 13:14
Remember too that landing downwind increases your speed over the ground at touchdown by 2x windspeed as compared with an upwind landing, using a strip just stops you plonking your kite down from anywhere.

sparty
03-01-2010, 13:40
In game terms I'm sure it was just a convenience thing rather than an historical simulation of something more improved in the terrain.

That said, not every open area was suitable for a "runway." After all, wind direction and speed matter as well as how suitable the ground was for it. After all a craggy area with rougher ground would not be ideal, even if open and generally flat.

Volant Gun
03-01-2010, 14:46
Thanks guys,

I agree that not all areas are suitable for landing; but the airbase was or it wouldn't be there in the first place. I think you're right about the runway. Its a means to determine a pilot's skill in putting it where he intended it to be. The runway is used as a standard rather than a physical feature.

Have fun,
Frank.