PDA

View Full Version : Building the Skytrex Brandenburg W29 Seaplane

Flying Officer Kyte
07-19-2012, 05:59

This is a very tricky little build due to the complex under frame assembly. Not one for a beginner.
Clean up the casting.

Cut out the Camo decals (Not provided with the kit.) It is easy to draw around the wings at this stage.
Glue on the wings. It is essential to get the holes aligned as inaccuracy can lead to endless trouble in fitting the under frame later.

Spray the model with white undercoat.

Dry fit the undercart and floats.
Glue on the undercart but NOT the floats or support struts.

Paint all parts.

Micro set the areas for cammo decals to help adhesion.
Affix cammo decals, and after 10 minutes Micro sol for better conformity to the surface undulations.

Fit and glue on floats and support struts.

Add the recognition decals of choice. Again use the Micro set/sol routine.

Glue on prop and gunner.

Gloss varnish the model.

Whilst this finish is in accord with the high gloss of seaplanes of the period, I finished the wings with matt varnish to subdue the reflective surface.

Nb. The juxtapositioning of all the under frame parts and bending of the float pins to position is a real pig of a job, and some fine tweaking and fettling is needed. If you have a degree in engineering you may succeed.
Rob.

somaliavet
07-19-2012, 06:52
Another great build, Rob. I've Reading Osprey's Naval Aces pt 2 so your build is quite topical. Not sure if I want to tackle the undercarrage yet though.

Niclas
07-19-2012, 08:23
I'm with Brian on this one. Here I was reading the Naval Aces 2 and had just begun thinking that I might want one of those Christiansen Brandenburgs - When Rob has already built one!
Most annoying - And, as always with Rob's builds, impressive!

/Niclas

Flying Officer Kyte
07-19-2012, 08:41
Another great build, Rob. I've Reading Osprey's Naval Aces pt 2 so your build is quite topical. Not sure if I want to tackle the undercarrage yet though.

Give it a go Brian.
The undercart is not as bad as I said. I am speedly recovering. My shrink says I may be back to what passes for normal for me within a year.
Rob.

Flying Officer Kyte
07-19-2012, 08:42
I'm with Brian on this one. Here I was reading the Naval Aces 2 and had just begun thinking that I might want one of those Christiansen Brandenburgs - When Rob has already built one!
Most annoying - And, as always with Rob's builds, impressive!

/Niclas

Wait until you see the other one Niclas.
Rob.

Burt
07-19-2012, 09:22
Another well made plane.
Glad to see you are keeping up your usual high standards.
Don

Marechallannes
07-19-2012, 10:35
Himmel, a masterpiece, Rob.:eek:

Super detailed - I don't know what to say...

Jager
07-21-2012, 02:54
Another great build, Rob. I like how the decal reduces the excessive (to my eye anyway) ribbing on the wings. The bare metal wing looks like a product of the Junkers works.
Is the metal of the undercarrage and struts strong enough? Since you didn't replace them, I'll assume so, but wanted to ask.
:thumbsup:
Karl

Flying Officer Kyte
07-22-2012, 03:38
Another great build, Rob. I like how the decal reduces the excessive (to my eye anyway) ribbing on the wings. The bare metal wing looks like a product of the Junkers works.
Is the metal of the undercarrage and struts strong enough? Since you didn't replace them, I'll assume so, but wanted to ask.
:thumbsup:
Karl

With all the triangulation of the struts they seemed O.K. Karl.
I would not use any of my home built aircraft in Shows though, so only my close friends get to use them and they are all modellers themselves, so know how to treat a lady.
Rob.