PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania: Just saying hello.

TGalante
07-15-2012, 23:23
I am just stopping in here to say hello. I am very new to WoG. I am not even sure where to get started. I have read a few posts saying the game and company have gone under, while other posts say it will be released in August, but not include planes? There is just a lot of information going on and I'm not sure where to begin. I'll just start with a few questions.

1. I took the advice on one of these boards and looked online for WoW:famous aces. It runs for about $60? Is this the game no longer being produced by the company? Should I just drop the $60 even though a new game is coming out? How much will it be and when will it be released? Is there anywhere around to just buy the game or is online the only way to order it?

I answered a lot of these on my own. I hope to pre-order the game from 12-7 asap.

2. I am looking to play this game with my sons (12 and 8), as a way to get them away from the xbox and Wii and maybe hit some history fun while we are at it. Is this game easy enough for them to enjoy? They are bright kids so I think they can handle most games.

Thanks in advance for all the help. I'll keep lurking around and try and find answers on my own as well. I look forward to chatting here more

Flying Officer Kyte
07-16-2012, 00:27
Hi Thomas from across the pond here in Dear old Blighty.
Do not panic. The new producers of the Game Ares are continuing the continuity, so that all new releases are fully compatible with Wings of War. apart from some re badging, and a few tweaks in the rules that we have suggested, it will go on as before.
So anything you buy prior to the re release is fine and desireable at the old prices.
Rob.

Niclas
07-16-2012, 03:28
Welcome from Sweden, Thomas!

I think this may be a great game to get kids to enjoy some board gaming. It's fast, great looking and has a lot of action - And it's quick and easy to learn. Both the card and mini versions are great, but the mini-game is (of course) something a bit extra. ("Danger" with minis is that you get hooked - Yo start off with 3-4 and soon you'r sitting on 100+, like the rest rest of us.). I recommend you start out with the basic rules, though - and build on with the optionals (such as altitude) only once you're comfortable with the basics.

/Niclas

flash
07-16-2012, 03:51
Welcome to the 'drome Thomas from a very wet and soggy Sussex coast in England today.
Taking it that you're aiming for WW1 I would recommend buying the Wings of War Revised Deluxe Set if you can find a copy of it as that contains 4 fighters & all the bits 'n' bobs you need to play this fantastic game. Failing that Ares is the way to go - starter sets & minis are coming and hopefully a similar deluxe set will be released in due course. Don't worry about the kids, they will get to grips with it very easily and be handing you your bullet ridden derriere in next to no time - and watch out for the missus, she will do the same !! :guns:

Nightbomber
07-16-2012, 04:02
Welcome from Poland, Thomas.
If you need help with the game, you have found the right place:)
The plan for your sons is perfect:thumbsup: Many of us did the same and our kids are now boardgame players.

TGalante
07-16-2012, 04:09
Thank you everyone for the quick replies and the warm welcome. This seems to be a very active community for a board game/wargame community. Thanks again for the warm welcome.

I think I will be going with preordering the game through 12-7 games with the extra 4 fighters available. There of course can not be any sharing when kids are involved. I know I will probably be spending money on new planes when they are released in the future depending on how the kids like this. After watching some videos and reading here I am getting the impression I am going to be enjoying this as much if not more than them. I really enjoy overlooked history especially areas I am not familiar with.

grumpybear
07-16-2012, 04:21
Hi from Alberta

Guntruck
07-16-2012, 04:33
Hi Thomas, welcome from England

Nightbomber
07-16-2012, 04:48
Just for your interest, Thomas: A former XBOX player looks like this!

Willi Von Klugermann
07-16-2012, 07:50
Welcome aboard Thomas. If you're looking for some of the old Nexus minis vist Willi's Wunderhaus in the For Sale section.

Zakopious
07-16-2012, 09:17
Thomas,

Welcome to the Aerodrome from Sheffield Lake, Ohio.

Ken

wargamer
07-16-2012, 10:02
Welcome from Pensacola Florida

Dwarflord22
07-16-2012, 19:39
Welcome to the Aerodrome from Texas! :thumbsup:

Coog
07-16-2012, 19:55
Hi Thomas! Another welcome from Texas.

Attila57
07-16-2012, 20:52
Welcome from Italy Have fun

Attilio

CappyTom
07-17-2012, 02:39
Welcome aboard Thomas, glad to have you here. PM sent.
:thumbsup:
Thomas

TGalante
07-17-2012, 13:40
thanks again for such a warm welcome. I hope to have everything pre-ordered within the next week or so when everything arrives in august or so We should be up and running. I do have one question? Why can't I seem to post in any other forum rooms? Thanks

Flying Officer Kyte
07-17-2012, 14:43
thanks again for such a warm welcome. I hope to have everything pre-ordered within the next week or so when everything arrives in august or so We should be up and running. I do have one question? Why can't I seem to post in any other forum rooms? Thanks

It would seem that no one has yet signed you up to a registered user group Thomas.
I just checked, but don't have the authority outside the U.K. Squadrons.
Give the Oberst a P.M.
Rob.

Black Sheep One
07-17-2012, 17:03
Hello from your neighbor in the Buckeye state. I'm still relatively new to WoG too, and am having a ball! You and your sons will enjoy this beyond belief!

Hunter
07-17-2012, 17:10
Howdy Thomas! Welcome to the Aerodrome from Phoenix, Arizona where it is sunny and 102 degrees, which is somewhat of a cooler day than the usual 110+ degree temps for a July in the Valley of the Sun. Ah, yes...well it's that time again...Time for a cold one, that is. :pint: Cheers!:pint:

TGalante
07-18-2012, 18:17
So, I guess I'll post a little more about myself. I obviously have children a daughter and two boys. My girl is now a teenager and is to cool to play games with her family. Both boys are addicted to video games and it is almost impossible to get them to do anything else without fighting. I am engaged to be married to a beautiful woman who works in the same hospital, but a different department.

I live and work in Philadelphia. I work in a center city hospital emergency room, and go to school part time. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps and have worked as a firefighter/EMT since, until leaving and going to the ER.

Going back to school has led me to writing. I enjoy writing to de-stress from a long day at work or when the family is getting on my nerves. I find it very relaxing and a way to escape real life for a bit into my own little world where I can control every little thing.

If i was to start the story of a pilot where would be a good place to post it on the forum? I don't like being that guy who posts in the wrong place.

Thanks,
Tom

CappyTom
07-18-2012, 18:55
I guess you could start in a Blog. If your doing an after action report (AAR) then you can put it in either the WW1 or WW2 section of the forum.

Thomas

Flying Officer Kyte
07-19-2012, 00:41
Tom is quite right about those places to put specific items, but if you intend to just write a fictional story similar to my Letters from Nigel-Bouncer Smythe, I would put it into the Officers Club Forum. I have found that it gets a better number of readers there than in a more subject specific Forums.
The Blog idea is also good, and I keep copies of Nigel there for those who come late to the Drome and want to get a synopsis of the story so far without having to trawl through reams of back posts to find the related story lines.
Rob.

Boney10
07-19-2012, 01:04
Hi Thomas, belated greetings from Bristol UK

somaliavet
07-20-2012, 07:50
Howdy from Kansas, Thomas. Allow me to give you and yours a belated welcome to the 'Drome and add that you have joined at exactly the right time. We are all eagerly anticipating the forthcoming releases!

Archidamus
07-20-2012, 11:09
Hi Thomas, and welcome to the 'drome from over here in the UK

bsmith13
07-20-2012, 12:25
Welcome to the site, Thomas!

Naharaht
07-20-2012, 16:08
Welcome to the Aerodrome, Thomas, from here in Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Mveeder
07-20-2012, 19:12
Welcome to the site. The boys will love the game. Its a huge hit with my youth group up in New York.