PDA

View Full Version : Can't turn left!

Mike Galer
06-17-2012, 02:42
Hi everyone - just bought the basic without minis Wings of War - Famous Aces set and played a few games last night. (got shot down and shot enemy down with an explosion hurrah!)

Great little game, but I've come across something that has me frowning.

Both the C and D move decks have sharp right cards (3x for C and 2x for D) these are cards 5/20 FA and 4/20 FA - am I missing something historically why can't you turn left in the same way? There are turn left more gently cards...

Please help as this has me confused!!

Cheers, Mike

Wombat
06-17-2012, 02:46
There are nothing wrong with the decks, they are just simulating the torque of the rotary engine. It made the aircraft easy to turn in one direction, but slower to turn in another. :)

From WikiPedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sopwith_Camel):

The Camel turned rather slowly to the left, which resulted in a nose up attitude due to the torque of the rotary engine. But the engine torque also resulted in the ability to turn to the right in half the time of other fighters,[3] although that resulted in more of a tendency towards a nose down attitude from the turn.

/Jörgen

Mike Galer
06-17-2012, 02:50
That's really cool then - what appears to be a simple game has hardened realism built in - I like that!

Boney10
06-17-2012, 03:22
You will find each deck has its own quirks Mike, if you look the arrows are also not the same length on the cards.
This is all due to the relative speed of the aircraft and the turns are all depending upon the engine,airframe etc, that's why you can turn sharp in some directions.
Wait until you get an early war plane, it takes ages to turn in one of those

Mike Galer
06-17-2012, 05:26
Yes I did notice the 'speed' differences in the length of the line - I really like the physics of it all have been worked out via the cards so you don't have to. I remember about 15 years ago playing a similar game, that had complex turn angle charts, lots of measuring, I metre high pole to attach your plane to and writing down of orders - realistic it might have been but took about 3 hours to line up a shot, then miss!

gully_raker
06-19-2012, 22:10
:thumbsup: G'day Mike. Yes Angellio & his co author have done a top job in designing the card decks to reflect the actual abilities of the different Aircraft.
There is a lot more to this game that is first apparent.;)

Max Headroom
06-20-2012, 18:36
And you're not alone friend... I get the same question asked nearly every time I introduce this to new players.

Angiolillo
06-21-2012, 01:40
Yes I did notice the 'speed' differences in the length of the line - I really like the physics of it all have been worked out via the cards so you don't have to. I remember about 15 years ago playing a similar game, that had complex turn angle charts, lots of measuring, I metre high pole to attach your plane to and writing down of orders - realistic it might have been but took about 3 hours to line up a shot, then miss!

Well that's the spirit, thanks a lot for noticing: I call it the "hidden complexity" of the game. Of course old styled simulations have more details, at the price of more complex rules and charts. Some of the most classical ones have been left out on purpose (as "localization" of hits with different point allowances for wings, fuselage, tail, etc after speaking to our historical consulents, or as deflection rules that with the split-turn-in-three-steps-and-fire-in-each-of-them is IMHO no longer needed), but we tried to keep the most possible with the most simple system we could design.

Hunter
06-28-2012, 02:58
A great game, nontheless! Thanks Andrea.

Grey Knight
06-28-2012, 05:15
I love this game,thanks, nuff said.