PDA

View Full Version : Unified Rulebook?

sparty
02-22-2010, 17:15
Anyone interested in a unified rulebook?

Has there been any talk of such a beast being included in the Flight of the Giants release?

I'd be open to building it, but do you think there'd be reprisals from the publishers?

Oberst Hajj
02-22-2010, 18:53
Bixby looked into combining all of the rule books into on PDF. I think it ended up being a little big much for him to tackle with every thing else he had going on.

sparty
02-22-2010, 19:05
In looking over things, there's a lot there... I really think it'd be a very valuable thing for Angi to take on for Flight of the Giants

Oberst Hajj
02-22-2010, 19:17
I think the main problem he ran into was that all the rule books have different things in them, so you had to really dig through them to make sure you got every thing and did not double up on some stuff. Also, most of the PDFs out there have been locked, so you can't just cut and paste from them... means a lot of typing for someone!

sparty
02-22-2010, 19:21
Ultimately, it's going to be important to unify the rules since folks are clearly having issues when they start out with some of the more esoteric things. I've found that the best WoW rulebook is probably the one that comes with Burning Drachens. It seems the most complete, but lacks a lot of the miniatures stuff from the Deluxe rulebook for example.

IRM
02-23-2010, 12:21
What someone'd really need to do is copy the Deluxe Rules and then add the ground interaction and collision rules from Burning Drachens, plus the WW1 bombing rules that Andrea posted, plus the posted 2-seater Immelman rules from FOG (and possibly all the scenarios from the rulebooks, updated to include height etc as required) No wonder new players can get mixed up !

sparty
02-23-2010, 13:44
Yeah the Conflict of Heroes games have this same issue. While any of the published rules will effectively let you play the game, there is a pretty great disparity between the ruleset features in each game.

Bixby
02-23-2010, 21:49
I did start this and became very busy with too many projects. I think is of significant value but I saw some problems with how to organize the rules. There are many things that I think should be presented in a linear fashion and not as optional rules. That would make rules look up and reading so much easier. Good luck and if I can support you in this, just ask.

Grinneth42
02-24-2010, 06:35
I would also be willing to help. Maybe if someone wants to head this up, volunteers can type up sections of the rules... then it can go to the leader to attempt an order for the whole thing. And by leader, I mean Sparty!:D

sparty
02-24-2010, 07:20
I appreciate the offer. I'm planning on taking a look at what this will take tonight. So far I've figured out how to copy & paste the text from the pdf files so text might not be as big of an issue as originally thought.

However... I will definitely need folks to proof. I may submit a proposed Table of Contents to avoid was Col. Hajj was talking about regarding doubling up on various topics, etc.

I'd also like to include the "unofficial official" rules like the unreleased bombing rules, Ace Skills, etc.

Bixby
02-24-2010, 09:01
One thing I think would be beneficial, would be to put all of the rules in the proper area of the rule book. For instance, altitude rules should be in the maneuver section of the rules. Perhaps the following format would be beneficial. This is just an example suggestion.

Standard Official Rules are 12 point Arial Bold. Most of the rule book would use this format.
Optional Official Rules are 12 point Arial Italicized.
Variants and Fan Rules that are widely used could be 12 Point Arial Italicized in a blue font.

One thing I like in a rules book is all rules located in the section they belong to. In the case of Wings of War.
(1) Setup
(2) Maneuvering
(3) Firing
(4) Damage

I hate having to reference the firing section of a rule book and then flip to the optional rules section of a rule book. All rules pertaining to Firing should be in one location for easy reference.

Just my opinion of course. This is what we have done with a couple of other rules projects. In any case, it is a labour of love and I appreciate you taking point on this.

LGKR
02-24-2010, 09:58
I can put all gathered info into a booklet format with graphics and final PDF form also.

sparty
02-24-2010, 13:22
Thanks for the offers of help and suggestions. I've definitely taken your offers to heart and will be in touch when the time is right.

My plan is:

1 - Inventory everything that's out there about this game since it's now not only in rulebooks, but also on a couple websites AND in forum posts!
2 - Sequence the content in much the same manner that Bixby proposed with optional rules integrated into the relevant sections where appropriate. I see value in promoting an appendix of "house rules" on its own and with optional official rules bundled in a separate section as well...it'd just be too complex. I also think that including FAQ callouts for the relevant sections will be important so that the FAQ finds its way back into the book.
3 - Include a few of the charts, etc. that have been produced like the historical index of planes and the eras in which they flew, etc.
4 - Put together a draft of the Table of Contents and post it here for some initial comments.
5 - Start working through what I'm going to title the "Sourcebook" so there's no confusion with what Nexus & Andrea are doing and it'll keep it strictly fan created and unofficial.
6 - Put together a draft release for feedback.
7 - Finalize the text, charts, graphics, and content editing.
8 - Publish exclusively here on the Aerodrome so that it'll bring in players from the various other places to help support what Col. Hajj is trying to build.

I figure updating it will be something that happens once new boxed sets get released, etc. I've got all the tools I need since I wore a technical writer and editor's hat at one point in my career and hopefully I can structure it well since my educational background is Instructional Design.

usmc1855
02-24-2010, 13:46
Great plan!

I'll be glad to help 'proof read' anything you produce.

sparty
02-24-2010, 13:48
I've identified 106 sections between the 3 rulebooks...So this is going to be a haul...particularly because some are doubled up in their OWN RULEBOOK!!! That 106 is unique sections not counting repeats between rulebooks, etc. I split out diagrams, examples, subheaders, etc. to get that number. I haven't added in any of the FAQ stuff either.

sparty
02-24-2010, 16:36
Okay here's the table of contents proposal. I think it's about as close as I can get it at this point. There were some tricky pieces. Ultimately it make more sense to decouple the Balloon entries from the rest of the maneuvering, etc. since they sort of have their own sets of rules. Likewise, groundfire got added into the fire section since the majority of their rules were firing related rather than damage related.

Let me know what you think.

Setup
Preparation
Game Components Diagram
Game Counter Diagram
Game Board Diagram
Turn
Rest of the Turn
Victory
Tournament Rules
Notes on Game Components

Maneuvering
Planning
Movement
Movement Diagram
Immelman Turns
Immelman FAQ Diagram
Split-S Turns
Split-S Example
Overlapping
Overlapping During Movement
Illegal Moves
Exiting the Game Surface
Going Out of Control
Tailing
Altitude
Example of Altitude with Minis
Dive
Dive Example
Climb
Climb Example 1
Climb Example 2
Climb Rate Chart Sample (Full in Appendix)
Landings, Takeoffs & Crashes
Landing
Takeoff
Crashes
Planes on the Ground
Altitude Optional Rules
Overdive
Collisions
Flying Higher
Flying Higher Example
Cloud Cover
Flying Patrols

Firing
Firing
Firing Example Diagram
Aim
Shoot at the Real Thing
B-Firing Machine Guns
Blocked Aim
Two-Seaters
Second Arc of Fire
Second Arc of Fire Diagram
Blind Spots for Rear Guns
Blind Spots for Rear Guns Diagram
Special Rule for Roland C.II
Special Rule for Roland C.II Diagram
Ground Fire
Fire on the Ground
Strafing
Trenches
Anti-Aircraft Guns
Friendly Artillery Fire
Anti-Aircraft Machine Guns
Ground Fire Optional Rules
Adjusting the Aim
Tailing Under Friendly Artillery
Rockets
Incendiary Bullets

Damage
Damage
Special Damages
Jammed Guns & Explosions
Disruption
Observer Wounded
Bailing Out
Running out of Damage Cards

Balloons
Observation Balloons
Balloon Barrages
Balloons & Artillery
Climbing Altitude with Balloons and Ground Fire

Scenarios
Designing New Scenarios
Dogfight Scenarios
Other Scenarios
Solitaire Scenarios & Anti-Aircraft Guns
Scenarios from Famous Aces
Scenarios from Burning Drachens
Scenarios from Watch Your Back

Grinneth42
02-24-2010, 20:44
It looks really good, and very thorough... and I think that you're crazy. Been looking for a way to go crazy myself, so let me know if you need help.

Oh... nice work...

sparty
02-25-2010, 08:07
Last night I put together the entire "Setup" section of the sourcebook minus the diagrams and graphics.

Where possible, I'm going to take graphics from the original rulebooks, but in many cases the background textures don't jive well with the Sourcebook layout so I'll be creating my own.

I may be asking for help from folks who have scanners to scan things I don't yet have.

I own:
Famous Aces
Burning Drachens
Watch Your Back
Top Fighters Booster
Recon Patrol Booster

So I need volunteers (possibly) for the outstanding boosters I don't own (Immelmann and...I forget the other one at this point).

I will also be asking permission from folks who have created custom content in the files section to see if I can include their work or derivatives of it in the sourcebook.

I should have a draft of the Table of Contents, Sourcebook Overview, & Setup section online sometime before the week is out.

USMC1855 has graciously offered to proofread the sourcebook, but I could still use maybe 1 other person. Just PM me and let me know if you're interested.

I think this project may take a while to complete.

The biggest hurdle I ran into yesterday was that for each section that's repeated in multiple books, or in multiple locations in the same book, I had to figure out what was repeated, reworded, or new. On top of that since the rulebooks tend to refer to the game from which they came...there is some degree of editing to the text to make it more product neutral.

usmc1855
02-25-2010, 14:29
Kieth,

With the Bombers Boxed set and the Balloon Busters boxed set soon to be released, anticipate a few new rules to be introduced (Burning Drachens should have everything that may be in the Balloon Busters set). Be ready to insert new additions to the rules as they become available.

sparty
02-25-2010, 15:48
Absolutely. Believe me putting new rules in will be A LOT easier than getting this initial load done because there are just so many fiddly things that have to be worked out.

sparty
02-28-2010, 07:25
Just a quick status update...

I FINALLY got all the text of the rules from all the various sources into the sourcebook. I added the bombing rules, ace skills, and the optional rules that are only on the Nexus website that didn't make it into the any of the rulebooks.

As it stands, the published rules + published official optional rules are 34 pages of just text.

I know I thought I'd have a sample up at some point this weekend, but it isn't looking like that's going to be the case. I've got a TON of scanning to do to recreate the various charts, diagrams, and examples from the rules and sources. I don't want to get started with that until I read through the rules to see if it all flows like I thought it would, which is going to take a while since it means re-reading and re-sequencing everything.

Thanks for your support and patience while I continue to chug away at this thing! And here's the revised table of contents from the document:

Table of Contents
Unofficial Sourcebook Overview 5
What’s Inside? 5
Setup 6
Preparation 6
Game Components Diagram 6
Game Counter Diagram 6
Game Board Diagram 6
Game Turn 6
Rest of the Turn 7
Victory 7
Tournament Rules 7
Notes on Game Components 7
Maneuvering 8
Planning 8
Movement 8
Movement Diagram 8
Immelman Turns 8
Immelman FAQ Diagram 9
Split-S Turns 9
Split-S Example 9
Overlapping 9
Overlapping During Movement 9
Illegal Moves 9
Exiting the Game Surface 10
Tailing 10
Altitude 10
Example of Altitude with Minis 10
Dive 10
Dive Example 11
Climb 11
Climb Example 1 11
Climb Example 2 11
Climb Rate Chart Sample (Full in Appendix) 11
Landings, Takeoffs & Crashes 11
Landing 11
Takeoff 12
Crashes 12
Planes on the Ground 12
Altitude Optional Rules 12
Overdive 12
Collisions 13
Flying Higher 13
Flying Higher Example 13
Cloud Cover 14
Flying Patrols 14
Flying Patrols Example 14
Fly that Ufag Right Now! 14
Firing 15
Firing 15
Firing Example Diagram 15
Aim 15
Aim Example 15
Blocked Aim 16
Shoot at the Real Thing (optional) 16
B-Firing Machine Guns 16
Firing with a Single Machinegun (optional) 16
Two-Seaters 16
Second Arc of Fire 16
Second Arc of Fire Diagram 17
Blind Spots for Rear Guns (optional) 17
Blind Spots for Rear Guns Diagram 17
Special Rule for Roland C.II 17
Special Rule for Roland C.II Diagram 17
Ground Fire 17
Fire on the Ground 17
Strafing 18
Trenches 18
Anti-Aircraft Guns 18
Friendly Artillery Fire 19
Anti-Aircraft Machine Guns 19
Anti-Aircraft Machine Guns Example 19
Ground Fire Optional Rules 20
Adjusting the Aim (optional) 20
Tailing Under Friendly Artillery (optional) 20
Rockets (optional) 20
Incendiary Bullets (optional) 21
Deflection (optional) 21
Bombing 22
How to Bomb 22
Bombing & Altitude 22
Bombing Example 23
Damage 23
Damage 23
Special Damages 23
Jammed Guns & Explosions 25
Jamming Twin Guns (A Firing Planes) (optional) 25
Disruption (optional) 26
Observer Wounded (optional) 26
Bailing Out 26
Running out of Damage Cards 26
Balloons 27
Observation Balloons 27
Balloon Barrages 28
Balloons & Artillery 28
Optional Ace Rules 29
Scenario Rules 29
Campaign Rules: Awarding Victories 29
Special Abilities 30
Pilot Only Abilities 30
Pilot Only Abilities Example 31
Pilots or Observer Individual Abilities 31
Pilots or Observer Airplane Abilities 31
Chivalrous Aptitude Example 32
Scenarios 32
Dogfight Scenarios 32
Other Scenarios 33
Solitaire Scenarios & Anti-Aircraft Guns 33

sparty
03-02-2010, 06:50
Another quick update...

I did quite a bit of scanning....this is a painstakingly slow process to re-create the diagrams so that they're both readable, accurate, and look good. I've gone with a slightly different visual style than the rulebooks have so converting the graphics over to the new style is taking some time and ultimately has meant that I'm building them from scratch.

That said, thanks to those of you who have PM'd me with help. I'll be in touch.

CappyTom
03-05-2010, 13:51
Another quick update...

I did quite a bit of scanning....this is a painstakingly slow process to re-create the diagrams so that they're both readable, accurate, and look good. I've gone with a slightly different visual style than the rulebooks have so converting the graphics over to the new style is taking some time and ultimately has meant that I'm building them from scratch.

That said, thanks to those of you who have PM'd me with help. I'll be in touch.

Thanks for all your doing. I know they said that computers are going to make your lives better but sometimes you just don't see it. Keep up the good work.
And thanks again.

Tom

sparty
03-07-2010, 19:38
Things are moving forward despite a little hiatus this weekend from the site while I took care of some day job work nearly all day both days this weekend.

I'm cataloging the wonderful charts and diagrams at this point to see where they fit into the structure I created. So far it's been pretty easy because there is great source material out there.

Bob.fr
04-13-2010, 03:12
Things are moving forward despite a little hiatus this weekend from the site while I took care of some day job work nearly all day both days this weekend.

I'm cataloging the wonderful charts and diagrams at this point to see where they fit into the structure I created. So far it's been pretty easy because there is great source material out there.

Hey Keith,

Just a word of support since what you are doing seems fundamental in easing the pain of everyone going into the process of leraning the rules at the pace of buying a new box and trying to figure out what's new or in wich booklet is that rule regarding collisions and so on !!!

It is fundamental !

Where do thing you would post your material when it will come to the release point ?

Merci et bravo !:)

Niemandsland
04-13-2010, 03:46
Perhaps we can make some translations in other laguages like german or france and put it in the files section.

And Keith. You're great making such a project *thumbs up*

Oberst Hajj
04-13-2010, 08:43
The final version will be posted in our files section here. I'm sure it will also find its way to other sites as well.

As for translations, we will be looking for some volunteers to do just that once it is complete.

Terefor
06-14-2010, 10:19
Is this project still in way' :confused:

Oberst Hajj
06-16-2010, 21:44
It has been put on hold. Sparty has been slammed with work and has had to take an extended break from working on it. We hope to have it finished at some point.

CappyTom
07-08-2010, 02:20
Just checking in. Hope all's well with the work load.:p

Tom

Oberst Hajj
07-08-2010, 03:29
Not sure if/when Sparty will make a return, but there has been a combined rule book uploaded to the Files section. I don't think it is as extensive as what Sparty was doing, but it is nice none the less!

Lugburz
07-28-2010, 04:56
Here's to hoping that Sparty makes a return. I would really be interested in seeing the completed rulebook. Also, my stint at gradschool is nearing an end, so I would be more than happy to volunteer my proofreading skills.