PDA

View Full Version : 2/19 - Today in History

sparty
02-18-2010, 19:48
Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor

http://www.84squadron.co.uk/assets/images/beauchamp.jpg
Beauchamp-Proctor

Andrew Beauchamp-Proctor was South Africa's top ace during World War 1. His military career began fighting the Germans in Southwest Africa until 1915 when he was discharged. Beauchamp-Proctor finished his education and joined the Royal Air Corps in 1917 and was sent with his unit, the 84 Squadron, to France in September of that year.

Beauchamp-Proctor's greatest claim to fame was as a balloon buster who claimed 16 balloons which was 2 more than leading US balloon buster ace Frank Luke. The notation in his Distinguished Service Order medal reads:

A fighting pilot of great skill, and a splendid leader. He rendered brilliant service on the 22nd August, when his Flight was detailed to neutralise hostile balloons. Having shot down one balloon in flames, he attacked the occupants of five others in succession with machine-gun fire, compelling the occupants in each case to take to parachutes. He then drove down another balloon to within fifty feet of the ground, when it burst into flames. In all he has accounted for thirty-three enemy machines and seven balloons.

Beauchamp-Proctor flew an S.E.5a, but due to his diminutive height of 5'2" he had to specially modify his flight controls to fit his size. But, in the air the physical disadvantage that may have cost him his life in the trenches was eliminated by his brash confidence in flight. On February 19th 1918, he shot down an Albatros D.V southeast of La Fere to claim his 4th victory.

In Beauchamp-Proctor's career he earned the Military Cross with Bar, the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Distinguished Service Order, and the Victoria Cross. Sadly, during a flying demonstration in a Sopwith Snipe Andrew's plane fell into a spin from which he could not recover and died in the crash. While some observers noted that it may have been due to his physical stature, it seems unlikely given his combat success and experience.

Gauntlet
02-19-2010, 16:32
Hi Sparty,

Just to say I'm enjoying this series. Keep up the good work! Though I've loads of books on the WW1 air war it's always good to read more and I like the idea of pinning it down to the actual anniversary of an event. Just think, in just a few years time (2014 onwards) we'll be able to review the events as they occurred exactly a century ago.

sparty
02-19-2010, 17:22
It is hard to believe that we're coming up on the centennial of WW1. It will be to my kids like the American Civil War was to me which, as a kid, seemed almost ancient.