Guntruck
05-25-2012, 08:31
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
The Sopwith Dolphin in RFC, RNAS and Polish Service Author:
RAF Museum/Cross and Cockade International ISBN:
978-0-9555734-2-2 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
I usually have a good, hard think (not to mention a good, hard look) before shelling out £25 for a book, but as this came from the same stable as the Nieuports and Fe2 books I had no hesitiation in handing over the hard-earned beer vouchers. Nor was I disappointed.

176 pages stuffed full of info and photos of the Dolphin (the prototype was an ugly SOB), the book is divided into chapters on design, development and construction; Flying the Dolphin; Combat; Dolphin Aces; Dolphin casualty log; Home service and Polish service (didn't know the Poles used them - you learn something every day); Airframe development; The Hispano-Suiza engine; Units and serials of every Dolphin and its fate where known, and finally a chapter on the restoration on the RAF Museum Dolphin, with pics taken during restoration.

Also included are plenty of three-view plans and 7 pages of plates, a page for prototypes then a page per Dolphin squadron (19, 23, 79, 87), UK based Dolphins and a Polish Dolphin.

Once again, if you need to sell your Granny to afford this book, do so immediately!

Nightbomber
05-25-2012, 09:16
Dolphins were used by our Polish Air Forces indeed.
They were shipped from Britain in April 1920 in two cargo ships:
1/4/1920, "Neptun", 6 planes: J153, J162, J169, J178, J181, J7128,
21/4/1920, "Warszawa" 4 planes: J39, 151, F7120, E4815.
They were used by 19th squadron in defence against Soviet troops invading Poland and attacking Warsaw. 15 strafing missions flown are reported. After the battle of Warsaw only one Dolphin (side no. 21.04) remained operational. No photos of the Dolphins exist.
After repairs the Dolphins were offered to the 7th American Volunteer Squadron led by Mjr. Cedric Faunt le Roy, but he refused the offer stating his pilots preferred Oefags and Balillas they were using.

fast.git
08-04-2015, 16:26
No photos of the Dolphins exist.

This book has two squadron photos in which personnel are clustered about the front of a Dolphin, but no identifying marks are visible. It's a shame that we can't be certain, but most of the speculation has them in the original PC10 with national insignia and squadron marking painted over RAF cockades.

A wonderful book, and one I certainly suggest picking up if you can find one... it's of similar quality (outstanding) to C&CI's treatment of Nieuports and FE2b/ds. All three titles are excellent.