PDA

View Full Version : WWII - Historical Inspired Campaign - September 4th, 1939

dancingdanslc
05-24-2012, 05:47
WWII - Wings of War/Glory Historical Inspiration Campaign – September 4th, 1939. Ver. 1.1

Scenario Description:
September 4th, 1939. Three British planes attack a German naval base attempting to sink 2 German warships. The warships are defended by 3 German planes.

Historical Inspiration:
September 4th, 1939. “The first attacks by RAF Bomber Command go in against German warships in the Heligoland Bight with 29 Blenheim and Wellington bombers in a daylight raid. The Admiral Scheer is hit three times but the bombs do not explode. The cruiser Emden is damaged by wreckage of a shot-down Blenheim. Of the attacking aircraft, 7 are lost.” – www.onwar.com

Map size:
At least, 90cm (36in) x 120cm (48in)

Axis:
Landing Zone in a corner ½ ruler from both edges. Or choose starting altitude when planes are set up.
1 target card representing the Admiral Scheer with 30 health. ½ ruler from Axis side of board facing Allied Side. Also at least 1 ruler from Landing Zone.
1 target card representing the Cruiser Emden with 30 health. 1 ruler away from Scheer. Closer to the Allied side then the Scheer.
3 Messerschmitt BF109 E-3. Take off from landing zone.

Allied:
Landing Zone in an opposite corner of Axis landing zone. ½ ruler from both edges. Or choose starting altitude when planes are set up.
2 Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I Take off from landing zone.
1 Hawker Hurricane Mk.I Take off from landing zone.
All Allied planes are carrying 3 bombs each. 10 damage on direct hit. 5 damage on near miss.

Game End:
Game ends when the 2 warships are sunk and the Allied players have landed back on the landing zone and removed all planes from play.
Game ends when 1 side has no more planes due to being shot down or flying out off the playing area.

Victory:
Allied wins if both warships are sunk. If Allied does not sink both warships, tally victory points: 20 points for each opponents plane shot down. 10 points for each opponents plane leaving play area. 20 points for each warship sunk.

Ace Skill Victories:
Victory points awarded to all pilots for shooting down enemy airplanes. Victory points awarded to all pilots that are alive when the scenario ends. Victory points are awarded to each Allied pilot for sinking each boat. Victory points are awarded to each Axis pilot for each warship that is not sunk when the scenario ends.

Variations:
Please feel free to use any plane you want. Add or take away alt rules. Add some ground support to defending Axis side. Also feel free to change the Victory conditions and the Ace skill victories too.

Nightbomber
05-24-2012, 05:53
Seems like an interesting scenario. I'd add a custom card with PZL P37 Łoś, a medium bomber to the allied company. As a Polish reinforcement of those days. But it would be a fantasy scenario then...

dancingdanslc
05-24-2012, 06:54
It is a fantasy scenario based off of a historical event. Please add any plane(s) you want. The real event calls for bombers. I used available miniatures instead of bombers.

dancingdanslc
05-24-2012, 15:07
Here is bad picture of the set up. The white string is the where the water meets the land. I hope this helps with set-up.

nillu
05-30-2012, 06:34
You used Bismark Mission Card right? Do you have any good resolution jpg for this card? The one available in Files section weights only 23kB which is not enough for printing it...

As for the scenario - I like it! Changes I would make:
- move allied base as far from battleships as you can
- decrease victory points of shooting down a plane - in such scenarios you should reward more for achieving main goal which is sinking the battleship (even if alkied sink just one ship - it should be a big boost). Axis should defend ships at all cost!

dancingdanslc
06-07-2012, 22:52
It is the bismark card. I do not have better resolution :(
Please make the changes that will work for you. I hope the scenario inspires you to play the game. :)

Dan-Sam
06-09-2012, 14:42
And there is a battlefield plan for Daniel's first mission.

dancingdanslc
06-09-2012, 21:52
Perfect !! That is the layout. Thank you very much for posting a set up schematic. :)

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 16:54

Set up of September 4th, 1939 Historical Inspired Campaign.

Axis:
Messerschmitt Bf-109 E-3 - Werner Molder
Messerschmitt Bf-109 E-3 - Wilhelm Balthasar
Messerschmitt Bf-109 E-3 - Erhardt Pankratz

Allied:
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I - Eric Clive Le Mesurier
Supermarine Spitfire Mk.I - Alan Wright
Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - Douglas Bader

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 17:05

Soon into the battle the British show off their amazing bombing skills and gets 2 direct hits and one near miss on the German naval ship Emden. All three plans fire at the ship and finishes the job quickly sinking the Emden!

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 17:08
The German planes looped around, hoping to come behind the British attack.

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 17:12
The British bomb the other German naval ship. With some nice bombing and one nice shot, the Scheer is sunk too.

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 17:17
With both naval ships sunk the British has successfully completed but the mission. Only thing left to do is to get back to the Allied side of the board.
But... behind them, a German patrol closes in for revenge.

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 17:19
Quickly the battle turns as the tight German formation scores some close range shots. One British plane emerges to race back home.

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 17:21
A german plane suffers rudder damage, the German formation breaks.

dancingdanslc
07-29-2012, 17:30
Chaos ensues, planes scatters. Finally the last British plane is shot down.
The Allied win since the 2 naval ship are sunk.
All 6 pilots were rookies, only the Axis pilots are awarded Skill Points to advance closer to becoming an Ace pilot.
All 3 German pilots were awarded 1 Ace skill point.
Wilhelm Balthasar was the superstar. He shot down all 3 British planes, and was awarded 3 Ace Skill Points.

Bigman
08-05-2012, 12:21
thats a realy nice scenario. Might be interesting to try it with the germans as the bombing side using Stukas. I say this mainly cos i'm a bit obsessed by stukas!

csadn
08-05-2012, 20:48
[hums a few bars of Sabaton's "40:1"...]

Marechallannes
08-06-2012, 03:29
Good scenario idea.

But in my opinion we really need allied medium bombers or the Beaufighter to have fun with such bombing missions.

To bomb something bigger than a 30 feet long bridge or ship with fighters isn't so interesting for me.

Change this scenario to a Dünkirchen/Dunkirk mission and use Stukas.:thumbsup:

dancingdanslc
08-06-2012, 06:26
As more planes become available, I hope to see some ammendments to make the scenarios more accurate. Please feel free to substitute planes and change it up.