PDA

View Full Version : AAR Flash - “Catch Me If You Can” - Over The Trenches - Mission 7

flash
05-21-2012, 07:32
They'd known something was up, Uncle was more twitchy than usual and Llewellyn Dowd had been called by HQ and sent on some ‘mysterious’ course with the Gunners near the front.
The news when it came was a shock to all of them – in a dawn clash Jerry had broken through the front lines in the St Caronne sector with armoured cars and were now rampaging about in the rear areas wreaking havoc – and the whole squadron was awakened and were now milling about preparing for any orders that were bound to come.
The realisation that Dowd was in the vicinity of the breakthrough soon followed, adding to the tension, and in very quick order Stan Deasey and Phil MacGlassop were summoned to the ‘Top Office’ by Uncle.
“Listen here chaps”, he said, “it appears that Dowd has got himself into some sort of pickle with Jerry swarming all about the place this morning. We got hold of him on the blower and he’s fine for now but the Gunners are reporting they can hear motor noises out in the fog and there’s a worry that when the fog clears the Hun will find them and give them a good shoeing. So, before that happens it’s vital we get Dowd and some hush hush papers he’s carrying out of there”.
“It’s light enough now sir” said Stan, “We can be on our way in minutes”
“Well the two of you should be enough; you’ll get there quicker and won’t attract too much attention”
“Aye”, growled MacGlassop, “and no-one messes with the ‘Collective’.
Ten minutes later they were airborne and heading for the Gunners position just West of their lines near St Caronne
As the collection of huts where the Gunners were based came into view they were flummoxed by the arrival of a pair of Albatrii in front of them at exactly the same moment. “Well that’s going to cramp our style” thought Stan. Expecting them to go after the Brisfit, Stan tried to hook in behind them. He mis-timed the turn and was taken aback as they ploughed on towards him but he managed to dodge incoming fire from the DVa and ravaged the D.III with a long raking burst until his guns jammed.
Meanwhile Phil had cut right to avoid the scouts and to see if he could spot a landing place amongst the swirling fog below them.

Stan counted his chickens as he realised the narrow squeak he'd had with the Albatrii – the D.III hadn’t had the angle and DVa had jammed his guns too. They eyed each other warily as they turned & cleared their guns. Phil meantime was making a run into the target area assessing his chances of a safe landing when the fog cleared.

Stan pulled his kite round in a right hand turn to cover Phils tail managing a close range squirt at the D.III as it swept past him but at the same time taking a hammer blow of a burst from the DVa that had circled back in and fired across his colleagues nose into the SE5a.

Stan threw in an Immelmann but the Albatrii were a little to fast for him and circled to his left as Phil slid behind to put Stan between them. Stan turned
after his foe and was almost caught out by the DVa as it pulled an Immelmann right before him but its fire was ineffective and Stan managed to repay the compliment in style with a slashing long range burst.

Turning away Stan glanced over his shoulder to see that Phil had slipped past the D.III and appeared to be lining up for a landing.
"This will be tight" thought Phil as he side slipped left & lined up on the nearest hut " He'd better be ready for me".
He growled angrily as he overshot his mark but was happy that he had got down in one piece and was close to the Gunners base. Glancing up he could see the cause for concern.... a pair of ruddy great armoured cars trundling relentlessly toward the buildings.

Despite their best efforts the Hun pilots had yet to lay their sights on the Brisfit and just at that moment were busy solving their own problem of a near miss while their next problem in the shape of Stans SE5a sidled closer ready to cover his grounded wingman.

Phil hauled his kite round to face the way he had come and had barely come to rest when he saw Llewellyn break cover & sprint for the now idling Brisfit.

Glancing back into the skies Phil could not help but feel rather exposed as he watched the Albatrii turn hungrily towards them while Llewellyn clambered into the back seat & tied himself in Meanwhile Stan curved back to intercept the Hun scouts.
At that moment the armoured cars announced their presence as they exchanged fire with the Gunners in the hutments - one of them promptly jamming as he did so.

Phil winced as the D.III thundered toward them but no fire came as he hadn't got the angle right - he then saw Stan turning in behind the Albatrii & gave a whoop of joy. Llewellyn slapped him on the head "Settle down Boyo, I know you're pleased to see me but can we go now ?!" he shouted.

Phil gave it the beans and the Brisfit leapt forward, as the Albatrii curved around behind them LLewellyn put a close range burst into the D.III's engine & promptly jammed his gun. "Bugger" he shouted.
Stan shared his sentiments as his long range effort at the DVa seemingly had no affect.

As the Brisfit climbed out Stan managed another burst into the DVa happily seeing splinters & tattered fabric as a result. Accurate Gunners shooting was having an affect on the ground too as one of the armoured cars was damaged.

Keeping the altitude low & going for speed Phil guided the Brisfit back towards their airfield & a nice hot breakfast !

Turning in anticipation of getting some more rounds into them Stan was surprised when the Albatrii broke off and turned for home - as the gap had opened he opted to shepherd the Celtic Collective home rather than chase them to theirs.

Butchers Bill:
Eagles:
Mowe – rtb – damaged Alb D.III
Wroniecki – rtb – damaged Alb DVa
1 Damaged Armoured Car !

Bulldogs - well hardly worth a picture !
Stan Deasey - rtb – slight damage to SE5a (4pts)
Phil MacGlassop & Llewellyn Dowd – rtb – no damage to Brisfit

Mission successful for the Bulldogs !

A few more pics in my album (http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1417)

flash
05-21-2012, 07:42
What a nice little game that was - despite the Albatrii aiming for the Brisfit Phil always managed to put it where they were not and Stan was always on hand to run interference if they were getting close. No kills: the Albatrii realised the Brisfit was well on its way & they were both severely damaged enough not to risk tangling further with Stans SE5a so turned for home - otherwise one or both may have fallen to his guns. Mission success for Stan & the Collective !
It was different to play on such a small area ( I widened it by 14mm in each direction just so the aircraft bases could start on the table) but it worked & played very well so kudos to Jan for its selection & the marvellous story.

Watchdog
05-21-2012, 09:39
Congratulations on a successful sortie!

At first I was afraid whether I had not created a mission too difficult to complete. Now I wonder whether I had not made it a bit too easy. :lol:

Nightbomber
05-21-2012, 10:37
A very well written story, Dave. Wroniecki and Mowe would have performed much better and they have nothing to be proud of this time. Fortunately they could bring their crates of infamy back home;). Conratulations on the safe landing and taking off - carefully planed and good show of skills. It was a piece of cake for the Bulldogs. My game is set up, ready to be launched.

Algynon
05-21-2012, 11:39
Very nice story Dave. Has a lot of tension there in the narrative. Looks like an AA call out will be needed for the armoured cars:)

Flying Officer Kyte
05-21-2012, 12:12
:thumbsup:Cracking show Dave.
you had an easy run of it there mate.
Mine was a bit more of a problem.
Will post report as soon as I have caught up with all the missed mails from over the weekend.
Jolly good show. Give my compliments to young Deasy and MacGlassop. There would have been the hell of a to-do if the Huns had got their hands on Dowd.
Kyte.:salute:

Marechallannes
05-21-2012, 12:20
Perfect sortie, Dave! :salute:

Fighting, landing, pickup of the observer, takeoff,...

Well done!

...by the way: Nice ground traget.

Watchdog
05-21-2012, 13:21
Aye, Sven, I would dare to call it a by the book rescue mission.

flash
05-21-2012, 16:42
Ground target is in the files Sven if you'd like to have one - part of a targets package.

Having learnt from the balloon mission that sometimes you can over think the problem and straight in & out can work better I went for that tactic - I was lucky that PM got some distance between him & his would be assassins straight away, as I find that once the AI gets in close it can be very deadly, and that Stan didn't get rogered in that first pass which could easily have gone very badly for him. PM overshot the landing but as it turned out that worked better for him because when he turned around his card was more or less touching the Gunners base card and LD just had to step out to get in then it was just a case of getting away without getting clobbered by the Albatrii ! It was also nice that Stan had stopped firing zeroes & no bang cards came up - maybe kicking the armourer worked after all !!
I'll play it again one day & see how badly it can go :)

Flying Officer Kyte
05-21-2012, 23:47
Oh! It can go badly. Believe me Dave it can.
Rob.

gully_raker
05-22-2012, 01:07
:thumbsup: Great report Flash & well done Bulldogs!
It somewhat reminded me of the rescue mission the Hearts of Oak boys & the AFC RE8 undertook to rescue Capt. Triggers a while back.
No Armoured Cars in that one though.

flash
05-22-2012, 03:23
Thanks Baz - you will note that I kept well away from the armoured cars. they looked like dangerous fokkers to me ! :eek:

tikkifriend
05-22-2012, 10:27
Notch another win for the Dogs Looking forward to giving it a go this week end.
Paul

Blackronin
05-23-2012, 10:48
Beautiful, Flash. The photos are full of live. I love this mission.