PDA

View Full Version : Solo: Balloon attack

Scoop
02-17-2010, 09:31
Had my first Solo-mission today. I chose the one out of the Burning Drachens Set - the Nungeser Nieuport with rockets versus two German 800, three FLAKs and two machine guns on the ground.

I set the bolloons on fire directly on the first approach, one missile counter for each drachen. Got hit by a FLAK in the 2nd turn, caused 10 points of damage - outch! Had some nice shots on the balloons, they also burned pretty well but those things are really tough. Time was ticking away (lost after the 12th round). One balloon had only one point left three rounds before the ending, so I chose to let it burn down and concentrate on the last one which had slightly less than half the hitpoints left. The FLAKs tried to get me pretty often and caused another damage point - only one point left on the Nieuport. Fortunately they never hit me again or caused no damage.
Then the first balloon which had only one point left didn't want to burn down, I drew nill after nill. Two rounds left, Immelmann right behind balloon number two and some nice shots and fire, which took it down. Still no fire damage on the first one. Last round, nice approach and a 5 point hit on the first balloon - victory right before the ending of the game.

Boy, never had a balloon fight before, but those things are tough. The ground fire causes big trouble as well. Not an easy mission but great fun for a solo match :cool:

sparty
02-17-2010, 20:08
Thanks for the writeup.

I've had the same thing happen. I can get actual hits on the balloons when firing, but it always seems like when I get them on fire...it does no damage!!!

Karma I guess.

One thing that's been particularly nasty from the archie is the special effect damage. You take rudder damage on a balloon mission and you're in for trouble given that the balloons are slowly being reeled in whether or not you can turn!

Xron Almighty
03-15-2010, 22:10
hey if you shoot rockets and then on the turn after you overlap the balloon, do they still hit