PDA

View Full Version : Tailing: How do you do it?

rcboater
02-16-2010, 19:21
I've read the tailing rules, and the variations used as house rules.

In all the games I've played, I've never really had a chance to take advantage of the rules. I'm also wondering how you'd actually plan your cards to take advantage of a tailing situation.

Say you're in a SPAD, and you're on the tail of an Albatross. What cards do you pick? One left, one straight, and one right?

Conversely, is there a card sequence that is more likely to help you lose the tail? I'm guessing three turns in the same direction, perhaps?

sparty
02-16-2010, 19:55
It's pretty situational and you've got to take into account where the other planes are, what plane types, and how close to the edge of the play surface you are, etc.

You're still, to some degree, trying to follow along so just pulling the three possible options gives the pilot who's being tailed a pretty easy way out if they pick 3 of the same maneuvers to try to speed away.

For example, a Spad that gets tailing on a Fokker DR 1 is going to be in for a rough time because it's only likely to last 1 phase. That DR 1 has a bunch of short maneuvers and the Spad has a bunch of fast ones so just by doing a couple short sidesteps...the Spad is well out in front and what was tailing, can turn quickly into being tailed! Now...if the Spad player knows this...they can include a stall a straight and an immelman since that'll likely get them 1 more shot and then turn them around to get a second shot at the end of the 3 phases.

Oberst Hajj
02-16-2010, 22:41
If I am tailing someone, I tend to pick a left and right turn that will some what match turns by my prey in those directions. For my "third" card, I try and visualize where all of the plane on the table will be after the first card is played and after the second card is played. That "third" card typically does not try to keep me tailing the same prey, but set me up in a good position to the over all situation on the table.

Belis4rius
02-17-2010, 00:14
I generally choose a stall if tailing and then a side slip to right or left or both. You will probably lose the close range bonus but should still be able to get a shot or two in.

sparty
02-19-2010, 10:22
I think a stall, if you're able to pull it off is pretty much always the best first move since you shouldn't, in most cases, get out of range and the side-slips are a great combo if you're going to try to get your 2 shots in....but basically you're getting 3 shots (1 for the lineup when you got tailing, 1 for the stall, and 1 for the sideslip maneuver....pretty good stuff!