PDA

View Full Version : Aerodrome Accessories Clouds

Oberst Hajj
05-13-2012, 18:48
Adding clouds to your games for the first time is kind of like playing with altitude rules for the first time, it adds a whole new dimension to the game! We have all read accounts of how pilots would dart into clouds to escape an enemy or come zooming out of them to attack out of no where. Now you can add these same elements to your games in an easy to play manor.

Basic Cloud Rules

Playing with clouds is really very simple and adds a tremendous amount of flavor to the game with out slowing it down.

Two planes separated by clouds can not shoot at each other as their line of sight is blocked:

No shot
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45451&d=1336958424

A plane inside of a cloud can not be shot at by a plane outside of the cloud:

No shot
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45452&d=1336958425

A plane partially inside a cloud can be shot by a plane outside the cloud if two conditions are met:

If you can connect the firing plane's center dot/pegs with any part of the target plane's base with out touching the clouds
The target is at close range.

If these two conditions are met, the target plane takes only one damage card (same rule as shooting at a plane +/- one altitude level). This simulates the difficulties of hitting the target as it fades in and out of cloud vapors.

Can shoot
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45454&d=1336958427

No Shot (further then close range)
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45446&d=1336958420

Two planes completely inside of a cloud can shoot at each other, but only at close range and only ever dealing one card of damage (again, just like at different altitudes).

Can shoot
http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45453&d=1336958426

Aerodrome Accessories offers three different sets of clouds. Each set has different shaped and slightly different sized clouds. Each set comes with a Large, Medium, and Small cloud. The Large and Medium size come with altitude dials. This allows players to use the clouds with altitude rules if they like. Simply set the large dial to the altitude you want the base of the cloud to be. Set the small dial to how tall you want the cloud to be. Doing this will allow you to have clouds at varying altitude levels for a more realistic game. You can have one cloud start at altitude 8 (marked on the large dial) and top out at altitude 14 (shown by a 5 on the small dial) while another is set to altitudes 7 through 12. Any planes that fly into the clouds between those altitude levels are "inside" the clouds.

Here are some photos of each set of clouds:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45457&d=1336958431

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45456&d=1336958430

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45455&d=1336958429

This is a single Wings of War gaming mat with all three sets of clouds on it:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45458&d=1336958432

The clouds are made out of 1/8 inch white acrylic to last a life time and they use the standard Aerodrome Accessories altitude dial setup.

A few more photos of the clouds in action..

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45449&d=1336958423

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45450&d=1336958423

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45448&d=1336958422

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45445&d=1336958420

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45447&d=1336958421

Tommy Z
05-13-2012, 19:34
I like it! :thumbsup:

You might want to bring some of those to Origins with you!

sirosis o liver
05-13-2012, 22:17
i like it alot a lil bit more realism to the game

Rat of Vengence
05-13-2012, 23:09
Nice thinking Keith, sounds like a great idea!
Dave

Oberst Hajj
05-13-2012, 23:17
I like it! :thumbsup:

You might want to bring some of those to Origins with you!

Oh, I'll be using them in my games at Origins

Blauer Baron
05-13-2012, 23:41
I was sceptical when I saw the title referring to "Accessory clouds", thinking 'oh no what will they look like'..but I must say they look grand! A very good product and the altitude counter is a great idea. A salute of approval!! :thumbsup:

Flying Officer Kyte
05-14-2012, 00:34
A very useful addition to the range Keith.
They certainly solve the problem of support rods getting in the way. The dial up system is great time and effort saver.
I will be getting a set of those with my next order.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
05-14-2012, 00:47
Thanks guys. What these might lack in visual appeal compared to the 3D types out there, they more then make up for in functionality. The fact that they don't get in the way of moving planes on the table and pack away flat are real bonuses. And setup time is next to nothing as well!

Bluedevil
05-14-2012, 01:34
As soon as the pegs are available I'll add those to my order...great idea Keith!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Redstarny
05-14-2012, 14:59
The word "sold" comes to mind...

Boney10
05-14-2012, 15:24
Hmmm now yes I do like those :)

But more pegs needed :takecover:

gully_raker
05-14-2012, 20:38
:thumbsup: Very nice addition for the Gaming mat, Keith.
I do like the simplicity & no stands to get in the way. The Dials are a touch of genius!:D

Oberst Hajj
05-15-2012, 00:53
Yes, the ever elusive pegs :mad: Actually, that is one thing I try to always keep in mind on my products. While they do require you to sacrifice a peg, the peg can be moved from product to product as needed.

grumpybear
05-15-2012, 04:12
I like your clouds , I have been working on some made from batting, mounted on an extendable post and hex base.

Marechallannes
05-16-2012, 11:34
I like them, too!

When are the clouds available at the Aerodrome Accesoires?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-16-2012, 12:18
I like them, too!

When are the clouds available at the Aerodrome Accesoires?

They are on there now Sven.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
05-16-2012, 14:47
They are on there now Sven.
Rob.

Yes, but not many.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2012, 03:14
Right, I'd better order mine then.
Rob.

Naharaht
05-18-2012, 05:46
Thank you for dreaming these up. They are a good idea.

Canuck
05-20-2012, 13:08
:eek:Sold out!:eek:

Any thoughts as to then they might be back in stock?

Oberst Hajj
05-20-2012, 18:58
Maybe a week or so Paul. I've got to order more acrylic on Monday and it has to ship to the laser, be cut and then ship to me :(

Flying Officer Kyte
05-25-2012, 07:22
A very nice set of clouds and Short Bomber stands dropped on my mat this afternoon.
Thank you very much for the speedy service Herr Oberst.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
05-25-2012, 09:30
Thanks for the order Rob. I expect to see some clouds in your AAR in the near future ;)

Flying Officer Kyte
05-25-2012, 10:14
Thanks for the order Rob. I expect to see some clouds in your AAR in the near future ;)

That depends very much on what clouds translates to in German Heer Oberst.;)
I mist out last time.:eek:
Rob.

Redstarny
05-30-2012, 18:16
How do I paint in the black parts of the dials? They came in all white.

Old Navy
05-30-2012, 21:07
How do I paint in the black parts of the dials? They came in all white.

Try rubbing the dial with a black crayon and then wiping off the dial's face. Crayon will remain in the engraved numbers as long as you don't rub too hard.

David Manley
05-30-2012, 22:40
I give them a thin was of acrylic black and then wipe off immediately. The paint stays in the depressions (helped by the rough surface), the paint on the smooth areas wipes away clean.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-30-2012, 23:18
One of my methods is to fill in the depression with a permenant marker pen used for OHP. projectors or DVD's. You should be able to see the results on one of the pics in my latest AAR. for Over the Trenches.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47282&d=1338385566

Rob.

Oberst Hajj
06-04-2012, 05:45
If the paper masking is still on them, you can brush paint the colors in as well. Let them dry and just peel off the paper masking for really nice results as well.

gully_raker
06-04-2012, 19:37
If the paper masking is still on them, you can brush paint the colors in as well. Let them dry and just peel off the paper masking for really nice results as well.

:thumbsup: Yep thats what I do & they come out perfectly.

grumpybear
06-05-2012, 04:14
Clouds arrived yesterday, can,t wait to try them out

Grey Knight
06-05-2012, 04:30
Looks interesting...

Oberst Hajj
08-20-2012, 19:42
These are now back in stock.

tuladin
08-20-2012, 20:32
Great! I've been waiting for those clouds to roll in again.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-20-2012, 23:58
I'm onto it Herr Oberst.
Rob.

Boney10
08-21-2012, 05:47
Good oh I was looking at these too

grumpybear
08-21-2012, 06:27
Are these rules going to be in thr files? I hope so.

Flying Officer Kyte
08-21-2012, 07:25
Cloud cover rules are covered in the Wings of War Optional rules.Altitude optional Rules Cloud cover on p.13 Darell.

There you go.

In addition with the Oberst's clouds you can set your own depth of cloud cover on the dial so it is possible to enter and exit the cloud at different heights by flying through it rather than just being in it until you dive as the rules state. I also have a house rule that if a plane is part in or out of cloud at the end of its move any fire must be done as at long range to account for the foggyness at the edge of the cloud partly obscuring the view either in or out.

Rob.

tuladin
08-21-2012, 12:16
The clouds being sold here are Cumulus clouds, the cloud cover rules refer to Stratus clouds.

I've been thinking of ways to handle different types of clouds in the game, and have come up with the following:

There are generally four types of clouds:

Cirrus: thin wispy clouds found at high altitudes
Stratus: layered, flat clouds that cover a wide area
Cumulus: puffy clouds with vertical development
Nimbus: rain clouds

Clouds are also divided into three altitude bands (at which you would find the base of the cloud)
High-level: 6000m and up (game level 12+)
Middle-level: 2000m - 7000m (game level 4 - 14)
Low-level: 2000m and below (game level 1-4)

Note: I've read that the new Wings of Glory rules will adjust the altitude levels by +1, getting rid of level 0 and making the airplane's level equal to the number of pegs on its stand. I'm writing this with that change in mind.

Following are the ten main types of clouds, with an eye toward how they effect WGF game play.

High-level Clouds (level 12+)
Cirrus - thin wispy feather-like clouds, called "mare's tails".
Cirrocumulus - a thin layer of small balls or flakes of cloud with a scaly appearance.
Cirrostratus - a very thin, almost transparent level of clouds that give the sun a halo when viewed from below.

All of the high-level clouds are made up of ice crystals, and would be avoided by airplanes for fear of icing up.

Middle-level Clouds (level 4 - 14)
Altocumulus - rows or lines of puffy clouds not covering the entire sky, often bringing snow of light rain. These should probably be treated using the cloud cover rules from the main rulebook. This cover would be 1 or 2 altitude levels thick.
Altostratus - a translucent, featureless gray layer that would also qualify as cloud cover. it would be 1 altitude level thick.

Low-level Clouds (level 1-4)
Stratus - an opaque flat gray layer of cloud that can be 1 or 2 altitude levels thick, and provide a ceiling as in the main rulebook. Stratus clouds at level 1 would be called fog, and would usually ground all aircraft.
Stratocumulus - like Stratus, but with some fluffy texture - treated as Stratus in game terms.
Nimbostratus - A layer of clouds with a base altitude of 2 to 4 and 2 to 4 levels thick. These would produce a gray rainy day which would most often wash out operations until it cleared up.
Cumulus - puffy and heaped unattached clouds which are the usually seen on a fair weather day - these are the type represented by the rules for the Aerodrome Accessories clouds, with a base of level 2 to 4, and a thickness of 1 or 2 altitude levels (maybe more, if they're working up to becoming Cumulonimbus)
Cumulonimbus - these are the big anvil-shaped thunderbumpers, bringing heavy rain, hail, and possibly tornadoes. With a base at level 2 to 4 and rising tens of thousands of meters, well beyond altitudes reached by the planes of WWI. Airplanes entering this type of cloud would be too concerned with staying alive to engage in combat.

If anyone can help flesh out or correct any of this information (I got it all off the internet, so accuracy is not guaranteed), I'd like to hear from you.

Oberst Hajj
08-21-2012, 19:47
Thanks Larry, that was a good refresher from high school science! I also agree with your break down (though altitude ranges could very based on what players wanted game play wise).

I basically see three types of cloud effect in game turns:

1. Nice day fluffy clouds (Aerodrome Accessories clouds) that planes can fly in and out of.
2. Ceiling clouds, clouds that cover the entire sky at altitude X. These would use the rule book rules
3. Bad clouds, all other cloud types that cause no flying (per real world flying)

Out of those three types, on the first need to actually be represented on the game table. For type 3, there is no game and for type 2, if you are above (or below) the cloud layer, you are not actively involved in the action until you come back down (up).

Flying Officer Kyte
08-22-2012, 08:03
A very good summary of the situation herr Oberst.:salute:
I will use my clouds more historically in the future.:surrender:
Rob.

Boney10
08-24-2012, 06:46
Goodness me these are popular, out of stock already.
I shall have to wait until the next run :(

Oberst Hajj
08-24-2012, 07:46
Yes, my expectation of demand was a little off on these. I'm working on getting some more here pretty quick.

tuladin
08-25-2012, 19:10
Received them today - now I'm all clouded up! Thanks, Keith

Does anyone have any good ideas for the storage and transport of these?

Oberst Hajj
08-25-2012, 19:19
Glad the clouds have blown into the skies over your aerodrome Larry. What are you using to store and transport your minis in? I of course use one of the Aerodrome bags (http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/storage/bags.html) and once broken down, the clouds slid in nicely next to the Hangar trays in the bag.

tuladin
08-25-2012, 19:32
I have one of your ranger bags plus a recon bag on the side for balloons & bombers so that'll work - but I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for stowing them away without breaking them down (or at most taking off the dials, but leaving the posts attached.)

Oberst Hajj
08-25-2012, 20:46
I thought you had the same setup that I've got ;)

I've also stowed them face down with the dials and pegs fitting into the Ground Crew hangar tray before. You can't fit too many of them this way, but it is an option. You might also be able to stow them on the sides with the dials still on with careful placement of where the pegs meet the foam. I've not tried that, so you would have to play with it a bit to see if it would really work.

Doug
08-26-2012, 03:22
Heer Oberst every time I go to order a set of clouds they are out of stock. Like they are right now. So can I pre-order two sets from the next batch to be made?:pray:

celticgriffon
09-10-2012, 09:14
Hey Keith,

I was just curious - for the larger clouds are the altitude dials in a fixed position or can they slide freely around the cloud to easier facilitate miniature movement?

Cheers,
Michael

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2012, 11:08
Hey Keith,

I was just curious - for the larger clouds are the altitude dials in a fixed position or can they slide freely around the cloud to easier facilitate miniature movement?

Cheers,
Michael

They are fixed, but just like when you get an overlap it is easy enough to place your aircraft card over the dial Michael.
In theory you should just place your cards on the control board and not place them until you think that your plane has exited the cloud again. This means that your adversary has no idea where you are. If you get it wrong and place your plane whilst it is still in the cloud, it just means he has glimpsed you through a hole in the cloudbank.
Rob.

celticgriffon
09-10-2012, 11:25
Hey Rob,

Cool, cool. If you keep your cards on the control board, what happens if you misjudge the other way - i.e. don't reveal soon enough?

Michael

Flying Officer Kyte
09-10-2012, 11:48
Hey Rob,

Cool, cool. If you keep your cards on the control board, what happens if you misjudge the other way - i.e. don't reveal soon enough?

Michael

My rule for that is that you have been disorientated in the cloud and emerge on the card that puts you nearest to the cloud edge.
You don't get your extra card if it extends on this, as you wasted time finding your way out.:smack:
If you want to be draconian over this say you emerge upside down, and have to do an overdive before you can restore your correct attitude.
Rob.

Oberst Hajj
10-07-2012, 14:57
Back in stock along with the Damage Caddies.

Oberst Hajj
12-11-2012, 21:24
Clouds are restocked again.

Cujo8-1
02-12-2013, 15:53
Hello Oberst,

I have recently become interested in using clouds during my games and the ones you sell appear to me to be the best available. Will you be stocking more of them soon?

Thanks!