PDA

View Full Version : Mission 7: Catch Me If You Can!

Watchdog
05-13-2012, 13:01
Mission 7: Catch Me If You Can!

Situational briefing:
24th November 1917: While the St. Caronne sector has seen increased airborne activity, especially clashes of scouts, such as the one of 19th November, the war on the ground slowly calmed down to the usual stalemate situation. The High Command decided that they needed quality aerial observation photographs of the enemy trenches, defence positions, fortifications, supply depots and other important targets before the winter comes and the snow covers them. To get the best results all available aviator observers in the sector were sent to strategic positions just behind the front lines to gather information about known targets from the artillery and infantry officers and to receive a short training about what to focus on. The information the observers gather during their training is of utmost importance and must not under any circumstances fall into the enemy hands.

25th November 1917: It appears the High Command decided to attempt a last local offensive to capture several strategically important locations in the St. Caronne sector before the winter strikes with full force. Not surprisingly, the enemy had the same idea. Fierce fighting ensued all along the sector's front lines.

26th November 1917, mere minutes before the dawn: The front lines melted together during the night and the ensuing confusion saw several units from both sides breaking through the enemy lines in the morning fog. The squadron was hurriedly ordered to immediately send two-seaters to evacuate the observers as enemy armoured cars patrols had been reported to be closing in on their poorly defended positions behind the front lines.

http://crazywebsite.com/Website-Clipart-Pictures-Videos/Aircraft/WWI/Copyright_Free_Images_WWI_Weapons_Allied_Airport_Airpanes_Hanger_Photo-1.jpg

Game set-up:

Friendly forces:

one two-seater without an observer (player controlled)
one scout (player controlled)
one ground target card (preferably with some building on it for fluff reasons, it may fire at enemy airplanes and armoured cars as per rules for trenches, but it may not be destroyed or silenced)
one observer token (moves one ruler width per turn/three manoeuvres, during the second manoeuvre)

Enemy forces:

two armoured cars (AI controlled)
two scouts (AI controlled)

Objectives:

pick up the observer by landing the two-seater and moving the observer to the airplane and get him to safety by exiting over your board edge
if the above is not possible, destroy the advancing enemy armoured cars

Deployment:

I recommend using one official Nexus game mat or the equivalent in size
the armoured cars start touching the centre of their short board edge (western for Entente AI, eastern for Central Powers AI)
the ground target card is placed 45 cm away from the armoured cars towards the player's short board edge.
the player's airplanes start by flying over the centre of the northern board edge
the AI airplanes start by flying over the centre of the southern board edge

Special rules:

The Fog:
Due to the fog covering the ground, the two-seater may not land in the first 5 turns, before the fog disperses enough for the pilot to see a spot where to land safely. The enemy armoured cars are hidden in the fog until the end of turn 3. They may be strafed and they may target airborne targets since the beginning of turn 4.

Landing and moving on the ground:
To land the two-seater, you have to point it in the direction where you want to land it and play a straight, a dive and a short straight. The airplane is then considered landed. You may turn it and move it on the ground. Put the airplane's card under the base. To turn the airplane, hold the card down with a fingertip (you may put it on any spot on the card). Then turn the card so that it rotates around your fingertip. The landed airplane may either turn or use a short straight instead of each manoeuvre. The pilot may not shoot while landing, on the ground or taking off.

Taking the observer on-board:
The observer is hiding inside the target card (in the building that is supposed to be there). He may exit the ground target card as soon as the two-seater lands or is downed. The token representing the observer will appear touching any edge of the ground target card and it may move up to one ruler's width per turn of three manoeuvres (during the second manoeuvre of that turn). As soon as the token representing the observer touches the card/base of the landed two-seater, he climbs aboard, takes the empty observer seat and mans the rear machine gun. the token representing him is removed from play. He may fire as soon as he straps his seat belts and grabs the handle of the machine gun, which will take him two manoeuvres. He may fire at airborne or ground targets even from the ground from then on. He will not board an airplane that is on fire.

Taking off:
To take off with the two-seater, point it in the direction where you want to take off and next turn play a short straight, a climb and a straight. The airplane is then considered airborne again and starts to behave normally. Plan its manoeuvres as usual since then on.

Armoured cars:
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6088/6045416734_d51b5603a6.jpg

Each armoured car has 7 hit points and is armed with one A-firing machine gun with fire arcs indicated on the card. An armoured car may only target ground targets at close range, doing only one A damage per shot though, and it may target airborne target at long range only. It moves one ruler width per manoeuvre (it may turn by up to 90° once per three manoeuvres). This card may be used to represent each armoured car: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=417

The armoured cars will move straight towards the location of the ground target card or the token representing the observer if he leaves the card. Their target priority list is as follows: the token representing the observer, the two-seater, the player's scout. The player's airplanes may strafe the armoured cars.

If the armoured car suffers damage, the special damage symbols have the following effects:
gun jam (taken by an opponent shot at by the armoured car) – the machine gun is silenced for three manoeuvres
rudder/engine damage – the armoured car may only move every other manoeuvre, second such damage destroys it
smoke/fire – the armoured car is on fire, it takes one A damage card for the fire and counts as having suffered engine damage (if it would be second engine damage, the armoured car is destroyed), second such damage destroys it
explosion – the armoured car is destroyed

Armoured cars and the observer:
Since the crews of the armoured cars can recognize the importance of someone trying to run away from them while other soldiers hold their ground, if the token representing the observer is found within the firing range of an enemy armoured car, the armoured car will automatically try to target him and fire a warning burst, unless the two-seater is landed within the firing range of the armoured car, in which case the armoured car will target the two-seater instead and try to destroy it. If the observer is found within line of sight and range of an armoured car, draw a B damage card. If a 0 is drawn, the observer is unharmed and unhindered by the burst. If a number is drawn, the observer is scared by the burst, goes to the ground and is pinned down for the next three manoeuvres. If an explosion is drawn, the observer is wounded by the burst and goes to the ground for the remainder of the game. If any of the armoured cars touches the token representing the observer, he is considered to have surrendered.

When the observer is wounded while on foot, has surrendered or the two-seater has been downed:
Your only chance to win now is to destroy the armoured cars. This also applies if the two-seater is shot down before the observer can be taken on-board, in which case the observer must attempt to reach the player's short board edge on foot.

AI scouts behaviour:
The AI scouts will go straight after the two-seater and ignore the player's scout, unless they have it in their rear arc, facing them, within one ruler distance, but as soon as they shake it off, they will revert to hunting the two-seater. If the two-seater is landed, they will still attack it mercilessly. If the two-seater is downed, the AI scouts will focus on the player's scout. The AI scouts will not strafe the observer on the ground.

Victory/loss conditions:

if the observer is carried to safety by the two-seater (by exiting over the player's board edge), the player wins
if the two-seater is destroyed before it can carry the observer to safety, but the observer is still alive, the player may still win by destroying both armoured cars before they can reach the observer
if the observer surrenders to any of the armoured cars, the player loses the game and the AI wins, unless the player can destroy the armoured car(s) threatening the observer

Photographs sources:
Airplane photo taken from: http://crazywebsite.com/pg-Funny-Pictures/Vintage_Public_Domain_Images_WWI_Weapons_Aircraft-1.html
Armoured cars photo taken from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theadventurouseye/6044944469

Pilots and Observers chosen for the mission:

Flash (Entente)
Scout: Stan Deasey in S.E.5a
Two-seater pilot: Phil MacGlassop, in a Bristol F2B
Observer: Llewellyn Dowd
Opponents: Werner Lukas Möwe in Albatros D.III and Anton Wroniecki in Albatros D.Va

Flying Officer Kyte (Entente) - already flown
Scout: Frederic O.Kyte in Sopwith Camel
Two-seater pilot: Frank (Snowy) Winter in Bristol F2B
Observer: Joe (Dodger) Dodgson
Opponents: unknown pilots

Marechallannes (Entente)
Scout: Pit Manneken in Spowith Camel
Two-seater pilot: James McGillian in R.E.8
Observer: unknown
Opponents: Jan Muller in Fokker Dr.I and Sven von Zirndorf in Pfalz D.III

Tikkifriend (Entente)
Scout: Ron Durtis in S.E.5a
Two-seater pilot: D. Stanhope in D.H.4
Opponents: Willi Gabriel in Pfalz D.III and Hans Pfluger in Pfalz D.III

Toddwf (Entente)
Scout:
Two-seater pilot:
Observer:
Opponents:

Algynon (Central Powers)
Scout:
Two-seater pilot:
Observer:
Opponents:

Blackronin (Central Powers)
Scout:
Two-seater pilot:
Observer:
Opponents:

Nightbomber (Central Powers)
Scout: Andreas von Oppeln in Albatros D.Va
Two-seater pilot: Sylvestr Gartszka in Roland C.II
Opponents: Pip Raleigh in S.E.5a and Colin Osbourne in Sopwith Camel

Watchdog (Central Powers)
Scout: Isztvan Laszlo in Albatros D.III
Two-seater pilot: Otto Sadowsky in Roland C.II
Observer: Karl Heinrich Storck
Opponents: John Farmer in Sopwith Camel and Peter Hibbet in SPAD XIII

Deadline for the mission to be flown: 3rd June 2012

Marechallannes
05-13-2012, 13:34
Not bad Jan!:eek:

The rules for this mission need to be read carefully.

That's a job for my best pilots!

A question:

Each armoured car has 7 hit points and is armed with one A-firing machine gun with fire arcs indicated on the card. It moves one ruler width per manoeuvre (it may turn by up to 90° once per three manoeuvres). This card may be used to represent each armoured car: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=417

The armoured cars will move straight towards the location of the ground target card or the token representing the observer if he leaves the card.

The cars move ruler per maneuver? Means 3 rulers in a complete turn?

Watchdog
05-13-2012, 13:55
The armoured cars move one ruler "width" (not "length") per manoeuvre. That is about 16mm per manoueuvre. :)

Nightbomber
05-13-2012, 13:59
Nice read itself:) Have to be analysed carefully. Thanks for posting, Jan.

Blackronin
05-13-2012, 14:13
It seems a great Mission, Jan!
I'll read it carefully.

Watchdog
05-14-2012, 00:38
I am glad you like the mission briefing. C&C are, of course, most welcome.

I am not sure whether the speed of the landed two-seater on the ground is not too high, maybe it should only be allowed one turn/short straight per turn, instead of per each manoeuvre?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-14-2012, 00:52
I have printed the mission off to digest it fully at my leasure. It looks interesting at first sight, but wil need a bit of reflection before carrying out the mission.
Rob.

Nightbomber
05-14-2012, 02:58
Are we supposed to use one only mat (Eastern OR Western one) or the WHOLE mat consisting of both parts?

Watchdog
05-14-2012, 05:28
Are we supposed to use one only mat (Eastern OR Western one) or the WHOLE mat consisting of both parts?

One mat should be the right size for this.

Nightbomber
05-14-2012, 10:50
Any suggestions for mat/map orientation?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-14-2012, 10:50
Now that I have read the full Sp,I shall be using my usual 3ft by 5ft mat for this one. You can never have too much flying room.
Rob.

Watchdog
05-14-2012, 10:59
Any suggestions for mat/map orientation?

It is in the instructions. East and West are short edges, North and South are long edges. ;)

Now that I have read the full Sp,I shall be using my usual 3ft by 5ft mat for this one. You can never have too much flying room.
Rob.

Rob, the point of this mission actually is to give you less flying room, or the enemy scouts will reach you too late.

Nightbomber
05-14-2012, 11:03
It is in the instructions. East and West are short edges, North and South are long edges.
;)

Wow! Should I improve my reading skills;)?

Rob, the point of this mission actually is to give you less flying room, or the enemy scouts will reach you too late.

So we are going to fly another deadly mission. Cool!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-14-2012, 12:05

Sorry Jan but I'm not cutting my £60 mat down even for you. The size should not make any difference. If I start the Huns off set in at the right distance from the edge it should be O.K.
:eek:Rob.

flash
05-14-2012, 12:23
This looks excellent Jan, well done mate. :thumbsup:
I don't have or know the WoW mat size, if you, or anyone, can give me an idea I will tailor my table to suit.

Watchdog
05-14-2012, 12:38
Dave, the official mat's size is 98 x 68 cm.

That is why I think 3 x 5 feet might be a bit too large, Rob. The size does make a difference, as you have to keep within the boundaries. Also, you will have to measure the distance to your equivalent of the short border edge just in case your observer will have to jog to it.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-14-2012, 12:38
This looks excellent Jan, well done mate. :thumbsup:
I don't have or know the WoW mat size, if you, or anyone, can give me an idea I will tailor my table to suit.

Here you go Dave.
The Wings of War game mats are large, 98 x 68cm (38.6 x 26.8in), about the size of an average poster.
Rob.

Nightbomber
05-14-2012, 14:56
Dave, the official mat's size is 98 x 68 cm.
That is why I think 3 x 5 feet might be a bit too large, Rob. The size does make a difference, as you have to keep within the boundaries. Also, you will have to measure the distance to your equivalent of the short border edge just in case your observer will have to jog to it.

Jan, in case we miss any important conditions of the mission map layout, wouldn't you mind posting a simple sketch of what you expect it to be?
We still have plenty of time, for the 6-misson-deadline is set for 20th of May, so your mission will be coming to an end on Jun 3rd I suppose.

I know you are on the edge of your time limit with exams, mate:takecover:;)

Watchdog
05-14-2012, 15:20
Andrzej, I am afraid I have no way to get such a sketch into my notebook in legible format.

I hope the deployment instructions are as clear as possible:

Put the armoured cars to the centre of the AI short edge (Entente patrol comes from the West, Central Powers patrol comes from the East), touching the edge by their back, facing the centre of the gaming board.
Measure 40 cm into the board centre from the armoured cars cards and place a ground target card there (that means to touch the ground target card the armoured cars will have to travel 40 cm).
Then place your own airplanes so that their first manoeuvre will bring them onto the board as close to the centre of the northern long board edge as possible (they will start touching the long board edge from the outside).
Do the same with the AI scouts and the southern long edge.

Nightbomber
05-14-2012, 15:28
I'll do my best to follow the rules of this innovative mission. Thanks for technical support :thumbsup:

flash
05-15-2012, 02:20
Yep, thanks chaps, alles klar ! Looking forward to it.

Marechallannes
05-15-2012, 06:07
Played the mission today.

It was Manneken in his Camel and James McGillian with his RAF R.E.8 vs. two Fokker Dr.I with unknow pilots from Jasta 18.

I choosed slow planes to keep the planes on the singel game mat.

A few things helped to solve the mission:

Control of all own planes
(Trench)Fire from the Obeserver building
Pit Mannekens Ace ability Marksman I
The circumstance, that the amored couldn't be strafed and hold fire for the first three turns

Things you have to look for:

To land in turn 5 is nearly impossible, because the amored cars had reached the Obeserver building
Stay the distance to the amored cars and keep them under fire with your Observer

I'll post my AAR when we have the last AARs from mission 6.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 07:08
Sven, the speed of the armoured cars is one ruler width (16 mm) per manoeuvre, that is 48 mm per turn, meaning roughly 25 cm traveled in 5 turns. The distance to the observer's card is 40 cm. This should give you about 8 turns to evacuate the observer before the armoured cars reach the target, there is no way how the armoured cars can reach the target card in 5 turns. You can land in turn 6, in turn 7 the observer can start dashing towards the two-seater (which can manoeuvre on the ground to assist him), and he should be able to climb aboard in turn 8 at the latest, unless you landed too far away.:confused:

Hmmm, maybe the distance should be 45 or 50 cm after all. This is really a bit too tight.:hmm:

This is exactly why I posted the mission early, so that we can tune it as required.

Marechallannes
05-15-2012, 08:00
Ahhh...:eek:

I moved the amored cars WoG like, but only at the end of a turn, because I couldn't imagine that they travel this distance per movement.

This is, how I moved the cars at the end of a turn:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45550&d=1337093063

This is, how you want to move them every movement step:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45551&d=1337093063

This is exactly why I posted the mission early, so that we can tune it as required.

This is your misson. Nothing to tune so far for other players.;)

Otherwise we could discuss the 360 degree firing arcs of those little amored bastards.:mad:

We'll see how I fought the faster German amored cars.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45552&d=1337093903

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 08:16
Nice picture at the end, Sven, and yes, the second movement picture shows the exact way to do it. :)

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 08:26
That was an important explanation. I would rather move them like Sven did.:(. Now it's clear and more realistic. It's good this "bug" has been fixed after the first mission flown (Sorry Sven!) than after several of them.
Sven - Bulldogs will have to go through this hell again;) :guns:

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 08:29
One more notice. Sven, the firing arcs of the AC are not of 360 degree. They are more like maltese crosses.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 08:39
One more notice. Sven, the firing arcs of the AC are not of 360 degree. They are more like maltese crosses.

Indeed. In addition to that, when we played a similar mission we had the armoured cars' guns only being able to shoot at airborne aircraft at long range, which helped a lot. Would that be a good idea?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-15-2012, 08:59
This is all making things a lot clearer thanks chaps. Itried it with just cards yesterday, and it was a death trap. I didn't even get to land my Harry Tate and he only just got away as it was. My supporting scout went down under the guns of the two Albatrii in move six.
:cry:Rob.

Marechallannes
05-15-2012, 09:16
Sven - Bulldogs will have to go through this hell again

I just made it out alive...

Even if the cars brought my planes nearly down.:erk:

Ok, it's original about 300 degrees - but no so much differnece on this small battlefield.

Couldn't print out the car cards in scale...:dazed:

So I fought faster and deadlier German Panzerwagen.:salute:

Marechallannes
05-15-2012, 09:39
But if we talk a bout a few details:

The fog covers the Panzerwagen 3 turns.

What about the Observer's (trenchfire)shooting ability versus the German planes as long as he stays in the building?

From the moment they got in range I kept them under fire from the observers building. So the fog was no handicap for the observers fire.

That was nice...:)

...but the observer had better aiming abilities versus the Panzerwagen.:hmm:

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 09:57
The infantry unit covering the observer (brave guys who stand their ground to let him escape) is indeed unhindered by the fog in respect to the enemy airplanes. The trench fire does not cease when the observer jumps out of the building. The infantry unit still holds the position.

Remember, the trench fire can only be used once per full turn.

Marechallannes
05-15-2012, 10:29
Friendly forces:

one two-seater without an observer (player controlled)
one scout (player controlled)
one ground target card (preferably with some building on it for fluff reasons, it may fire at enemy airplanes and armoured cars as per rules for trenches, but it may not be destroyed or silenced)
one observer token (moves one ruler width per turn/three manoeuvres, during the second manoeuvre)

Thought it fires after every movement like normal trenches.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 10:44
Hmmm, I thought that "each round" equaled "each turn". I see I was wrong, I see now that each turn has three rounds. It fires after each movement then. Well, at least it turns the odds a bit into the player's favour.

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 10:47
OK, chaps. We still have time to launch our "7" missions, for 20th of May is the deadline for the previous one. IMHO Jan's mission is very interesting and - most of all dangerous - :serious: So that's another reason I like it. Let's treat Sven's and Rob's flights as trials only and make a kind of FAQ in this thread. Jan - sorry - but you are going to spend some time answering questions. What do you think?

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 10:50
Couldn't print out the car cards in scale...:dazed:

So I fought faster and deadlier German Panzerwagen.:salute:

Sven, it's easy! I downloaded them, opened in Windows 7 Nero PhotoSnap Viewer and in printing properties used "print the original size" and it went smoothly.

It works. Now I'm gonna laminate the cards. Will post them here later.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 10:56
Andrzej, I posted the mission briefing in advance exactly from this reason - to be able to tune it, answer questions and such. In short, no, I do not mind. :)

Marechallannes
05-15-2012, 10:58
Hmmm, I thought that "each round" equaled "each turn". I see I was wrong, I see now that each turn has three rounds. It fires after each movement then. Well, at least it turns the odds a bit into the player's favour.

I have to check this in the rule section - maybe I played it wrong all the years! :confused:

I know that the machine guns in the trenches fire like normal airplanes, but now I'm not so shure, if trench fire takes place after every movement, or once per turn?

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 11:06
I have to check this in the rule section - maybe I played it wrong all the years! :confused:

I know that the machine guns in the trenches fire like normal airplanes, but now I'm not so shure, if trench fire takes place after every movement, or once per turn?

Trying to find a clear answer in the rulebooks I am even more confused.

Burning Drachens rulebook, page 3:

Each game turn has three rounds, and each round has a planning phase and three movement & fire phases.

Burning Drachens rulebook, page 9:

Each trench can make a single shot each round...

Therefore firing once per three manoeuvres might actually be correct. My head starts to hurt...:confused:

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 11:11
Guys, it's easy.
Turn = 3 rounds (manoeuvers).
MG card "fires" just like a plane (every round).
Trench card "fires" once every TURN!.
BUT: MG card ALSO includes TRENCH fire independently of the MG fire. If you silence the MG with a special damage card, you are still facing a TRENCH fire once a TURN from that same MG card, until you place 5 points of damage there.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 11:19
No, I disagree, Andrzej. The terminology you use seems incorrect. Read my post above yours, please, and check the rulebook.

Game turn has three rounds, each round has three movements, trench card fires each round. Where did you read that the trench fires "every turn", please?

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 11:30
Jan,

THERE IS A REAL CONTROVERSY.

Burning Drachens Rulebook - from the box.
1) Page 4: REST OF THE TURN: "Each turn is composed of three rounds". I was right.
2) Page 10: ANTI-AIRCRAFT MACHINE GUNS: "In addition, the card can make one shot of infantry fire per round" - seem s you are right.

BUT: Some time ago I printed out Balloon Busters rulebook from publisher's website and LOOK:
Page 11: ANTI-AIRCRAFT MACHINE GUNS: "In addition, the card can take a single shot each turn following the exact rules for trenches firing". I was right, but according to one of the rulebooks.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 11:45
Andrzej, then the controversy is in the Burning Drachens rules themselves, since page 3 says something totally different than page 4.

Page 3 says that a game turn has three rounds of three manoeuvres each.
Page 4 says that a turn has three rounds of one manoeuvre each.

EDIT: I sent a PM to Andrea, asking for a clarification.

flash
05-15-2012, 11:52
Checked BD & BB rules -
A trench fires once per game turn - deals out one A damage card whatever the range - only special damage is applied (ie ignore the numbers);
AAMG are marked as A or B guns & fire and jam exactly like an aircraft. In addition, once per game turn they can also fire trench fire as above.

Both can be strafed - 5 damage points or a boom card will silence a trench; Any special damage (except a jam!) will silence an AAMG but the trench will be able to continue firing once per turn, however, 5 damage points or a boom card will silence both AAMG & Infantry in a trench.

BD Page 3 is a nightmare Jan - Don't think anyone has played nine movement & fire phases per game turn yet !
For clarity - All the main rule sets state each GT has a planning phase and three movement & fire phases.

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 11:57
I think the rule that a MG card fires exactly like a plane (3 runds per turn) and a trench card fires once per turn (more seldom) and trench fire added to a MG card follows that rule is correct. It's like sporadic rifle fire from infantrymen. So IMHO I play MG + trench fire right and the Burning Drachens box rulebook is incorrect.

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 11:58
Checked BD & BB rules -
A trench fires once per game turn - deals out one A damage card whatever the range - only special damage is applied (ie ignore the numbers);
AAMG are marked as A or B guns & fire and jam exactly like an aircraft. In addition, once per game turn they can also fire trench fire as above.

Both can be strafed - 5 damage points or a boom card will silence a trench; Any special damage (except a jam!) will silence an AAMG but the trench will be able to continue firing once per turn, however, 5 damage points or a boom card which will silence both AAMG & Infantry in a trench.

Page 3 is a nightmare Jan - Don't think anyone has played nine movement & fire phases per game turn yet !

Exactly my way of understanding.:thumbsup:

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 12:05
I think the rule that a MG card fires exactly like a plane (3 runds per turn) and a trench card fires once per turn (more seldom) and trench fire added to a MG card follows that rule is correct. It's like sporadic rifle fire from infantrymen. So IMHO I play MG + trench fire right and the Burning Drachens box rulebook is incorrect.

Andrzej, problem is, where does it say the trench fires once per turn? Both the Trenches and AA machine guns sections of the Burning Drachen rules say the trench fires once each round, not once each turn.

What exactly do you base your presumption that you play something right on, if the rules say something and you play it differently?

Now, what exactly is a round? The rules are contradictory...

flash
05-15-2012, 12:14
But it does say "once per turn" in Balloon Busters on p11 which I think superseded BD with the balloon release & ironed out these bugs :)

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 12:18
Jan,

Balloon Busters rulebook is exactly what I follow when resolving ground fire. I assume 1 turn consist of 3 rounds (it means 3 manouver cards [1 round = 1 maouver card], not 9 manouver cards!)
Trench card - fires once per turn.
MG card - fires once per round (it means just like planes) PLUS: it fires (generates) one trench fire per TURN, not each round.

I can see Dave handles ground fire exactly the same way as I do.
What about Rob and other guys?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-15-2012, 12:24
I have always played ground fire in the same way as Flash.
Rob.

flash
05-15-2012, 12:24
I just follow the rules Andrzej ! :brickwal: :lol:

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 12:27
Rob, Dave and me play in the same way. Three of us may not be wrong.;)

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 12:47
Jan,

Balloon Busters rulebook is exactly what I follow when resolving ground fire. I assume 1 turn consist of 3 rounds (it means 3 manouver cards [1 round = 1 maouver card], not 9 manouver cards!)
Trench card - fires once per turn.
MG card - fires once per round (it means just like planes) PLUS: it fires (generates) one trench fire per TURN, not each round.

I can see Dave handles ground fire exactly the same way as I do.
What about Rob and other guys?

I see. I do not have a printed version of the English version of Balloon Busters. I found the PDF and you are right. Burning Drachens rules are obsolete (and badly worded anyway).

Alright then, the ground target card produces one shot per turn of three rounds/manoeuvres/movements.

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 12:59
Yeah. Now to the armoured cars. They shoot like a plane. They may shift 5*4,8 cm = 24 cm to the center before the mist disappear. Then the two seater may touch down. If the cars will fire A type MG, the two seater may be in a real trouble. They can be targeted not earlier than from turn 4th so it's another thing to be taken into consideration.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 13:08
I think the solution might either be making the distance between the cars and the target 50 cm (giving the player 2 more turns time), or making their guns B firing?

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 13:16
Just thinking. Maybe limit their distance to half a ruler. I picture the cars going thru green stuff and other terrain obstacles which hinder their range.
But Jan - YOU decide. It's YOUR project and I do not feel like changing it. No way.

Watchdog
05-15-2012, 13:21
Andrzej, that is why I said that C&C are welcome. :)

Hmmm, maybe I could change it so that the cars can fire at a ground target only at short range (still one A) and at an airborne target only at long range?

Marechallannes
05-15-2012, 23:48
My trenches fired after every movement step.

A wonder how I survived the ballonn buster mission. But that's the way I played it all the time.

(we don't have to discuss what the German translation is about the trenchfire - each rulebook use another word: Runde/Zug/nach der Bewegung... :hmm:)

But it makes sense, if the trenchfire is only once per game turn, now. That's why the rulebook scenarios talk about "the player who controls the trenches". So he can decide, when to fire and at what target to fire per game round.

Seems I have to replay Mission 7. Too much mistakes... (ground fire, movement of Panzerwagen...):dazed:

Nightbomber
05-15-2012, 23:51
My trenches fired after every movement step.

A wonder how I survived the ballonn buster mission. But that's the way I played it all the time.

(we don't have to discuss what the German translation is about the trenchfire - each rulebook use another word: Runde/Zug/nach der Bewegung... :hmm:)

But it makes sense, if the trenchfire is only once per game turn, now. That's why the rulebook scenarios talk about "the player who controls the trenches". So he can decide, when to fire and at what target to fire per game round.

Seems I have to replay Mission 7. Too much mistakes... (ground fire, movement of Panzerwagen...):dazed:

It's good we found the right rule together at last. Yes the owner of the trenches decides, although I think th AI should use the first ever happening opportunity to fire.
Do not hesitate to repeat the mission, Sven. Thanks to your trial everyone should know better how to handle it.

Nightbomber
05-16-2012, 00:13
Funny, I bought the BB set in Germany with a German version rulebook, which I couldn't read. That's why I had to download the english version, which seems to be much better translated from Italian....

flash
05-16-2012, 04:44
Andrzej, that is why I said that C&C are welcome. :)
Hmmm, maybe I could change it so that the cars can fire at a ground target only at short range (still one A) and at an airborne target only at long range?

A ticklish problem indeed Jan - create acceptable rules for armoured cars !
I'd say you are onto something with the restrictions to firing - how would this suit you ?:

When manoeuvring, Armoured cars may only fire at ground targets at short range with just one A card - to account for restricted visibility/movement etc
(your call if can use 2 A cards at short range when stationary)

When stationary, Armoured cars may also fire at ground targets at long range with just one A card - so you have to stop to fire at long range ground targets.

Armoured cars may only fire at airborne targets when stationary at long range with just one A card - so you have to stop to fire & be at long range to engage aircraft; this would account for elevation/aircraft speed at close ranges etc.

You might also consider treating armoured car fire like a 'trench fire' against aircraft in that only special damage counts not the numbers as this would account for the weapons being vehicle mounted & not intended/set up as AAMG ?

I take it trench fire against the armoured cars is treated the same as against aircraft ?

Anyway there's some food for thought - now I'm off to get food for my belly !

Marechallannes
05-16-2012, 05:22
Doesn't matter for my replay mission, anymore.

Used the cars and trenchfire in the right way, now.

Watchdog
05-16-2012, 05:40
Thank you for the ideas, Dave.

Hmmm, problem is that AI controls the armoured cars and they should rush to the observer as fast as possible to force the player to either evacuate the observer or to strafe the cars as soon as possible. Stopping to fire might result in them being stationary for most of the game, never reaching the observer at all. Another problem is how to determine that they should stop as the player has no control over them (they are enemies after all)?

As for resolving the damage against airplanes, the armoured car has a (twin-linked) machine gun, which packs a punch compared to random fire from infantry rifles. It should be dangerous to the enemy airplanes.

And yes, the trench fire against the cars is resolved exactly as against the airplanes, only special damage counts. After all, those are armoured cars, so only a lucky hit from an infantry weapon would harm them.

I think I will go for firing at ground targets at short range only (due to rough terrain), causing one A damage per shot, and at airborne targets only at long range (due to the elevation required to do so).

Flying Officer Kyte
05-16-2012, 12:03
Seems a sound idea to me Jan. I will use that when I fly my mission on Friday.
Rob.

Watchdog
05-16-2012, 13:26
Rules updated in the briefing post.

The armoured cars may not target airborne targets before turn 4.
They can only target ground targets at short range, doing only one A damage per shot though.
They can only target airborne targets at long range.

Nightbomber
05-16-2012, 13:37
OK, roger that, Jan.

Marechallannes
05-16-2012, 21:51
Are these definitely the last changes?

Watchdog
05-16-2012, 23:53
Sven, I would really like to suggest, that the scenario is not played (apart from test games if anyone feels like it) before the deadline for mission 6.

Firstly, we do not know the results and therefore the available pilots yet.

Secondly, I posted the briefing in advance so that the rules may get clarified and changed as necessary before we start. One thing is how I understand the mission, another thing is how do the others understand what I wrote.

Nightbomber
05-16-2012, 23:57
I second what Jan wrote, Sven. Let him tune the the rules before we all start and all the pilots "return" from mission 6.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2012, 00:08
Sorry guys, no can do.
As I have stated before Friday morning is the only time I have free for a game as long as these, and leaving it till the following one would not leave me enough time to do my AAR. I will be running my sortie tomorrow and then off to Sheffield for Tripples.
Rob.

Watchdog
05-17-2012, 00:59
Alright, Rob, I do not think anything too crucial is going to get changed. Maybe someone can come up with something unclear in the rules or such, but the basic mechanisms most probably won't change.

Is everyone OK with the distance of the target card from the armoured cars being 40 cm or should I change it to 45 or 50, meaning 9-10 turns before they can get to it?

Nightbomber
05-17-2012, 01:47
The distance is OK for me, Jan.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2012, 03:01
Alright, Rob, I do not think anything too crucial is going to get changed. Maybe someone can come up with something unclear in the rules or such, but the basic mechanisms most probably won't change.

Is everyone OK with the distance of the target card from the armoured cars being 40 cm or should I change it to 45 or 50, meaning 9-10 turns before they can get to it?

I only had one thought? What if chummy did not wait for the airlift but started to leg it on move one. By the time the armoured cars had arrived and discovered that he was not there, they would not know which direction to search for him.
Rob.

Nightbomber
05-17-2012, 03:14
I only had one thought? What if chummy did not wait for the airlift but started to leg it on move one. By the time the armoured cars had arrived and discovered that he was not there, they would not know which direction to search for him.
Rob.

Rob,
"Taking the observer on-board:
The observer is hiding inside the target card (in the building that is supposed to be there). He may exit the ground target card as soon as the two-seater lands or is downed. The token representing the observer will appear touching any edge of the ground target card and it may move up to one ruler's width per turn of three manoeuvres (during the second manoeuvre of that turn). As soon as the token representing the observer touches the card/base of the landed two-seater, he climbs aboard, takes the empty observer seat and mans the rear machine gun. the token representing him is removed from play. He may fire as soon as he straps his seat belts and grabs the handle of the machine gun, which will take him two manoeuvres. He may fire at airborne or ground targets even from the ground from then on. He will not board an airplane that is on fire."

Hope that helps.
Andrzej.

But I think the observer is going to run too slowly. He should move three times per turn (=3 maneouvers).

Watchdog
05-17-2012, 05:10
Rob, the observer carries important information. He won't leave the safety of the defended building when enemies have apparently broken through the front lines unless the airborne limousine is available or unless it goes down, meaning that there is no other chance than to leg it.

Andrzej, thanks for the explanation. :)

If the observer moves three times per turn he would move as fast as the armoured cars, meaning they could never ever catch him or even target him.

Nightbomber
05-17-2012, 07:06
OK, I move per turn. He will be quite old in my scenario:lol: or wounded:(

Watchdog
05-17-2012, 07:17
It is supposed to be the observer from the two-seater pilot's crew. I do not think Jasta 24 is composed of veterans of the 1866 years Prussian-Austrian war. :lol:

Nightbomber
05-17-2012, 07:34
:D:lol: But I will slightly fine tune the observer character. For my scenario will be rather a secret agent... Never mind - it will be fun!

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2012, 08:58
It is supposed to be the observer from the two-seater pilot's crew. I do not think Jasta 24 is composed of veterans of the 1866 years Prussian-Austrian war. :lol:

Why not Jan.
My chaps always say I must be old enough to have served in the Crimean War.:mad:
Kyte.

Nightbomber
05-17-2012, 10:53
:lol: I support Rob in that matter. He shouldn't be the other squadron observer. He/she may be just a spy sent behind enemy lines! I'll go that way.
By the way, Rob. How did you feel charging those bloody Russian guns, then?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2012, 12:39
:lol:
By the way, Rob. How did you feel charging those bloody Russian guns, then?

Fine Andrzej!
I would have felt even better, however, if they had given me a horse to ride, like the rest of the Light Brigade.
Rob.

Algynon
05-17-2012, 12:44
Guys, Rob was not actually in the British army at the time..... He was on holiday having a picnic, and went over to the Russian Guns to complain about the noise!!!:eek:

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2012, 14:30
Guys, Rob was not actually in the British army at the time..... He was on holiday having a picnic, and went over to the Russian Guns to complain about the noise!!!:eek:

There are some great seaside resorts in the Crimea! Ask any Russian President.
Kyte.

Nightbomber
05-17-2012, 14:34
They always say: .------------------------------------------------

Sorry. I'm biased.
There is a great song about it. I was listening to it to death in eighties...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aupn-91BNwU

Watchdog
05-17-2012, 14:39
Andrzej, please, no politics or nationalistic hatred, please.

And just for your information, the NKVD murdered some of my Polish relatives in Katyń. Still, pretty please, keep this out of the campaign.

Thank you.

Nightbomber
05-17-2012, 14:51
ok.

Angiolillo
05-17-2012, 17:25
Hello!

Thanks to Watchdog for telling me about this thread - and for finding the mistake in the rulebook. Actually it is true, the sentence at page 3 of BD makes no sense at all.

Trenches infantry fire takes place, in my intentions, as often as MG fire - after each maneuvre is executed.

The BD rule at page 3 has been wrongly edited in English I guess - in Italian it is "Ciascun turno è composto da una fase di pianificazione e da tre fasi di movimento e fuoco." That means "Each game turn is composed by a planning phase and three movement & fire phases." No "round" quoted. The rule at page 9 is "Ciascuna trincea puoò fare fuoco di fanteria una sola volta per fase di gioco:" meaning "Each trench can make an infantry fire shot only once each phase... "

I wonder what the other translations say - I guess they have been made from the English text. So I'd actually be curious about the German one, but I do not want to make an OT (private messages are OK if you want).

Sorry for this confusion. The new WW1 rulebook in the Rules Pack makes it pretty clear, anyway.

Watchdog
05-17-2012, 22:52
Thank you for the clarification, Andrea, even if it confuses me even more.

Lets hope the new rules make everything clear. :)

Nevertheless, for the purpose of this mission, the infantry unit in the building with the observer is a small one and they can only produce enough firepower to fire once per a turn of three manoeuvres.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-17-2012, 23:41
Thank you for the clarification, Andrea, even if it confuses me even more.

Lets hope the new rules make everything clear. :)

Nevertheless, for the purpose of this mission, the infantry unit in the building with the observer is a small one and they can only produce enough firepower to fire once per a turn of three manoeuvres.

Jan did you ever think that a senario as straight forward as yours seemed to be could uncover so many problems that nobody had ever noticed before. You have done us all a great service by that alone.
Rob.

Watchdog
05-17-2012, 23:44
Well, I did expect the need for some tuning of the mission, but definitely not finding such an inconsistency in the English version of the official rules.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-18-2012, 04:18
:hatsoff:Well I flew the mission this morning Jan, and can honestly say that it was the most exciting game I have ever had since starting on Wings of War. Talk about a Cliff Hanger for Kyte in his Camel and Winter in the "Biff" :guns: :camel: :erk: but you will have to wait for the AAR until after I get back from Tripples. It is going to take some writing up I can tell you.
Both Kyte and I need a stiff G&T after that romp.:FOK::FOK:
Rob.

Watchdog
05-18-2012, 07:23
I am glad you liked the mission, Rob. It is an honour to hear something like this from you. :)

flash
05-19-2012, 09:31
It appears Sven & Andrzej have selected pilots for this bash Jan so you may like to collate the info from Andrzejs thread:

I will be using FO's Stan DEASEY in SE5a; Phil MacGLASSOP, in a Brisfit, calling to collect Llewellyn DOWD - opposing them I will be using:
Fwbl-Ltn Werner Lukas Möwe - Alb D.III & Ltn Anton Wroniecki - Alb D.Va.... subject to them being available !

tikkifriend
05-19-2012, 09:45
1 Turn = 3 move cards MG once per round ie 3 times a turn for me :guns:
Just as matter of interest when have we got to play this by? I think 2 weeks from the date of publication is good given it comming upto Summer and peoples commitments to other things like family and friends might be more demanding :thankyou:

Watchdog
05-19-2012, 09:50
There is no AA MG in the scenario, only infantry (trench) fire. As I said earlier, firing once per whole turn (which consists of 3 manoeuvres).

The reason is that the building cannot be silenced and allowing it to fire each manoeuvre might be too much in this scenario.

Watchdog
05-19-2012, 10:08
Well, there are still some shot down/wounded rolls missing for mission 6.

I updated the OP with a list of pilots and observers chosen.

I have a personal plea, Dave. Please, note, that Werner Lukas Möwe has a preferred aircraft listed, the Fokker Dr.I. It would be very true to the storyline if he flies that type. It suits his personality of ambitious and reckless glory seeker the best, but the choice is up to you, of course.:salute:

flash
05-19-2012, 12:12
Actually it was up to the wargames gods - apparently they decided his Dr1 had blown a gasket & he had to use a DVa because he rolled a 7 on a D8. Whops no my mistake - he rolled 6 & got the D.III - It's OK, he survived .... which he probably wouldn't have done in a tripe ! :)

Nightbomber
05-20-2012, 03:19
Same here. von Oppeln in his yellow and blue Dr.I collided with Ball drawing a 10 C damage card. The tripe was totally destroyed in the crash, Von Oppeln got a replacement plane - the older MvR red bird, DVa. Manfred;s gift to famous Eagles Jasta:)

Nightbomber
05-20-2012, 03:23
These are the actors of my 7th mission:

1. Garsztka - Roland
2. von Oppeln - Albatros D.V.

Opposing:
1. Pip Raleigh - SE5a
2. Colin Osbourne - Camel

Watchdog
05-21-2012, 00:24
I think we shall set a deadline for this mission, say two weeks? 3rd June sounds about right.

Please, post your choice of pilots/obervers for the mission, both your men and opponents.

Nightbomber
05-21-2012, 00:28
3d of June deadline sounds fine for me.
Pilots chosen. The observer to be taken is a stranger.

Marechallannes
05-21-2012, 01:24
Deadline is fine.

My pilots:

Pit Manneken - Sopwith Camel
James McGillian - RAF R.E.8

versus:

Lt. Jan Mueller Fokker Dr. I
Lt. Sven v.Zirndorf Pfalz D.III

Changed von Zirndorf from a DR.I to a Pfalz.

Mission starts at the weekend.

tikkifriend
05-21-2012, 08:43
Deadline is fine.

My pilots:

Pit Manneken - Sopwith Camel
James McGillian - RAF R.E.8

I have started a new thread called mission personel to help unclutter this thread and make for esay reference

versus:

Lt. Jan Mueller Fokker Dr. I
Lt. Sven v.Zirndorf Pfalz D.III

Changed von Zirndorf from a DR.I to a Pfalz.

Mission starts at the weekend.

tikkifriend
05-21-2012, 08:43
Ps 3/6 is good for mee
Paul

tikkifriend
05-21-2012, 09:17
Tikkifriend (Entente)
Scout:
Two-seater pilot:
Observer:
Opponents:

19a). Major D. Stanhope /Mystery observer from anothe Corps in a DH 4

FO Ron Curtis Active 4 Kills
In his trusty SE5

Vs 1 Wiilie Gabriel in Pfalz DIII & 30 Hans Pflugler in a Pfalz DIII
Paul

Nightbomber
05-21-2012, 16:39
I'm reading the mission rules and posts over and over again.
For those who have not fly the mission yet - read this carefully:

"Landing and moving on the ground:
To land the two-seater, you have to point it in the direction where you want to land it and play a straight, a dive and a short straight. The airplane is then considered landed. You may turn it and move it on the ground. Put the airplane's card under the base. To turn the airplane, hold the card down with a fingertip (you may put it on any spot on the card). Then turn the card so that it rotates around your fingertip. The landed airplane may either turn or use a short straight instead of each manoeuvre. The pilot may not shoot while landing, on the ground or taking off."

That's the way to get closer to the observer.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-21-2012, 23:44
I followed all those rules except for one essential. I Turned my plane card on the ground O.K. ready for take off, but never even considered that I could taxi towards my observer. Doh!
Well the field was too rutted to get any closer to the buildings.
Rob.

Nightbomber
05-23-2012, 02:58
As I disclosed my profession some time ago, you know I'm a lawyer. That means reading game rules is just like reading a law.
Digging through the rules of Mission 7th and looking at the set up on my table I figured out we must clear one issue, regarding armoured cars fire range and landing/take off (L/T) procedures.
According to Jan, AC may fire with A type MG to:
a) ground target - only at short distance (one A card),
b) airborne target - a full distance (one A card).
L/T procedures requires playing 3 cards in a row.
The problem is: At which of the three manoeuvers the 2 seater is a ground or airborne target?.
That's the question on AC effectiveness. And I assume their A MG may be deadly!

Nightbomber
05-23-2012, 03:47
Another questions:

1. Does the building in which the observer is hiding block line of sight of the cars?
2. Where do the cars go after the observer gets onboard?
3. Is there a specific exit site for the 2 seater and it's escort?
4. How should we direct AI scouts' fire if they have our scout at a good firing position (half a ruler) and the 2 seater at a greater firing distance (one ruler)?

Flying Officer Kyte
05-23-2012, 06:04
:salute:Well chaps, it is far too late to dwell on semantics as far as my mission was concerned.
I can tell you that those vehicles can fire from long range across a clearing, and yes they are deadly,:guns: as can be seen from the damage that they inflicted on Kyte and the plane of Winter and his Observer.:crash:

My mechanics are seething about the damage that they have got to repair.:fixit:
I don't think that the Huns firing at us have read your new rules.:confused: Maybe they had the German edition of the Rule book.
:lol::lol::lol:Kyte.

Nightbomber
05-23-2012, 06:10
:salute:Well chaps, it is far too late to dwell on semantics as far as my mission was concerned.
I can tell you that those vehicles can fire from long range across a clearing, and yes they are deadly,:guns: as can be seen from the damage that they inflicted on Kyte and the plane of Winter and his Observer.:crash:

My mechanics are seething about the damage that they have got to repair.:fixit:
I don't think that the Huns firing at us have read your new rules.:confused: Maybe they had the German edition of the Rule book.
:lol::lol::lol:Kyte.

Rob always keeps his chin up. This is cool and very British :thumbsup:

Watchdog
05-23-2012, 07:59
Andrzej, the two-seater is considered airborne at the end of the third take off manoeuvre:

Taking off:
To take off with the two-seater, point it in the direction where you want to take off and next turn play a short straight, a climb and a straight. The airplane is then considered airborne again and starts to behave normally. Plan its manoeuvres as usual since then on.

As for the other questions:

1. Does the building in which the observer is hiding block line of sight of the cars?

No, it is just a small building.

2. Where do the cars go after the observer gets onboard?

Towards the two-seater in hope of shooting it down, since they cannot harm the infantry unit in the building.

3. Is there a specific exit site for the 2 seater and it's escort?

Objectives:
pick up the observer by landing the two-seater and moving the observer to the airplane and get him to safety by exiting over your board edge

The player has two "own" board edges, the short (East for Central Powers, West for Entente) and the northern long one (the one where his own planes start).

4. How should we direct AI scouts' fire if they have our scout at a good firing position (half a ruler) and the 2 seater at a greater firing distance (one ruler)?

They will ignore the scout as per the following rules:

AI scouts behaviour:
The AI scouts will go straight after the two-seater and ignore the player's scout, unless they have it in their rear arc, facing them, within one ruler distance, but as soon as they shake it off, they will revert to hunting the two-seater. If the two-seater is landed, they will still attack it mercilessly. If the two-seater is downed, the AI scouts will focus on the player's scout. The AI scouts will not strafe the observer on the ground.

I hope this helps. :)

Nightbomber
05-23-2012, 08:22
Perfect, Jan. That's what I thought.
Thanks a lot.

Andrzej.

Blackronin
05-23-2012, 10:29
Oh! I miss this so much!!
I think that I'll be able to play my mission during this weekend.
If the world doesn't fall apart around me.

Nightbomber
05-23-2012, 10:35
We are on your six, Quim. Take your time. If we can help - we are here. I took over the Eagles casualty roster, Sven runs the Bulldogs' wounds. Jan does his hard job as usual.
The rest of the gang is ready for action.:thumbsup:

Blackronin
05-23-2012, 10:37
Thank you, my friend.
Did you received your birthday present? ;)

Nightbomber
05-23-2012, 10:41
Wow - not yet. THANKS! Waiting!

Blackronin
05-23-2012, 10:46
That's odd... You should have received it by now...

Nightbomber
05-23-2012, 10:51
:(:erk:

Nightbomber
05-25-2012, 01:50
Mission 7th flown. It was a headache with controlling the armoured cars, counting turns and measuring distances plus trench fire and fire arcs of the cars which took about 2 hours, but finally it's done in an appropriate way, I suppose. A great deal of tension, like in no other scenarios so far. Not a word about the result. AAR will follow.

Flying Officer Kyte
05-25-2012, 02:12
Mission 7th flown. It was a headache with controlling the armoured cars, counting turns and measuring distances plus trench fire and fire arcs of the cars which took about 2 hours, but finally it's done in an appropriate way, I suppose. A great deal of tension, like in no other scenarios so far. Not a word about the result. AAR will follow.

Sounds as if you found it as exciting as I did.
I'm not sure which element made it so much more exciting and full of tension, but if we could bottle it we would make millions.
Rob.

Nightbomber
05-25-2012, 02:30
Tension: I was flying my PC von Oppeln and was really SCARED this time passing by the cars. I'd rather face two Camels instead of those bloody tin worms. I felt some bullets had my name on them...:serious: That must have been a stress level gained by von Oppeln during last missions and two visits in the field hospital.

Algynon
05-26-2012, 13:13
My pilots for this mission are:

Ludwig Wartensleben Albatros Dv
Max Eckhart Rumpler
Collecting "mystery guest" from the front.

Vs

FO Lewis Bricant SE5a
FO Davis (Di) Evans Camel

I hope to have this mission completed by tomorrow evening.

Algynon
05-28-2012, 11:43
Mission flown last night. I am in the process of getting the photo's together and writing the AAR. I have played this game for a few years now and I must admit, this scenario must rank as one of my top 3 of all time. I just hope I can do it justice with my write up.:thumbsup:

Marechallannes
05-28-2012, 22:13
Good to hear you had fun, Bob.:thumbsup:

flash
05-29-2012, 03:48
Hope you didn't break Lew Bob - wanted him for Mission 8 !!

Nightbomber
06-03-2012, 05:36
Are we missing the last two reports? :confused:

toddwf
06-03-2012, 17:21
Sorry guys. I wasn't able to get this one in. We had a very busy weekend. I definitely want to try the mission. It will just have to be unofficial. I'll work on running mission number 8.

Todd

Watchdog
06-04-2012, 01:20
I am sorry, I was dragged to work yesterday afternoon, therefore I was unable to fly mission 7. I won't have time to fly it in the near future either and I will be lucky to be able to fly mission 8. The poop has hit the fan here and there is too much work to be done in my office. :cry:

tikkifriend
06-04-2012, 03:09
I am sorry, I was dragged to work yesterday afternoon, therefore I was unable to fly mission 7. I won't have time to fly it in the near future either and I will be lucky to be able to fly mission 8. The poop has hit the fan here and there is too much work to be done in my office. :cry:

Never mind Jan, Life and work can get a bit hectic and no doubt you will not be the only one not able to fly all the missions :(
Todd has had the same problem this week too:surrender:

Paul

Marechallannes
06-19-2012, 04:57
As far as I can see there are three Mission 7 AARs missing:

Watchdog (Central Powers)

Blackronin (Central Powers)

&

Toddwf (Entente)

Tood wrote a few time, that he has no time at the moment and would skip the mission, but I think a final confirmation, due to the new deadline 30th June would be fine.

What about Jan and Joaquim?

To complete roster work and voting for mission 7 - a short statement (here), if you want to skip or not, would be fine.:thankyou:

PM you.:salute:

Nightbomber
06-19-2012, 07:15
Thanks for summing up the Campaign status, Sven.

Watchdog
06-19-2012, 08:38
I should be able to finish mission 7 before the new deadline of 30th June.

Blackronin
06-19-2012, 10:44
I should be able to upload mission 7 in a few days.

Thanks.

Nightbomber
06-19-2012, 10:59
So we are getting the band back together, chaps:thumbsup:

toddwf
06-19-2012, 17:42
I'm at the beach through Saturday (North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA). When I get back to the real world, I will concentrate on getting mission 7 & 8 completed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7217/7397764084_4b67585ea8_z.jpg

Todd :thumbsup:

gully_raker
06-19-2012, 22:05
I'm at the beach through Saturday (North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA). When I get back to the real world, I will concentrate on getting mission 7 & 8 completed.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7217/7397764084_4b67585ea8_z.jpg

Todd :thumbsup:

:eek: Lucky devil! Summer there & you are at the beach whilst I am enduring a really cold winter here. Water pipes froze this morning with a huge frost & I am still waiting for a new Flue for my slow combustion heater.:hmm:

Nightbomber
06-20-2012, 01:28
Beautiful picture, Todd!

Flying Officer Kyte
06-20-2012, 01:36
Great picture Todd, but what is that glowing ball in the sky?
Rob.

tikkifriend
06-20-2012, 03:39
Soaking up the rays eh, Nothing but grey skies and the treat of rain here in France!!!
Paul

toddwf
06-20-2012, 04:37
Soaking up the rays ehIt has been a perfect week at the beach here. Sunny every day with the temperature around 80 - 85 °F (27 - 29 °C). We are having a great time.

Believe me, we go through our share of cloudy and cold weather. But, my opinion has always been that the crappy weather makes you appreciate the sunny and warm days more.

Todd

toddwf
06-25-2012, 18:32
Update: I just now finished Mission 7, and will work on the AAR, along with starting Mission 8 tomorrow. I think I messed up the trench fire. Just to give you a chance to update the roster before I post the AAR:

Scout: Flying Officer Charles 'Chuck' Spellman (Sopwith Triplane) - shot down
Two-seater pilot: Flying Officer Robert 'Bobby' Kline (Breguet BR. 14 B2) - returned home safely
Observer: Flying Officer Joseph 'Money' Spamoni - rescued and returned home safely

All enemies were unknowns.

I'll update the kills when I have a chance to go through my pictures.

Todd