PDA

View Full Version : WGFC: Air War over Great Britain 1914-1918 (A&A)

Baldrick62
05-05-2012, 15:11
Submit a Book ReviewBook Title:
Air War over Great Britain 1914-1918 Author:
Ray Rimell ISBN:
0-85368-804-4 Category:
Reference Format:
Paperback Summary:
Arms and Armour Press Vintage Warbirds No.7 is a 64pp chronological study of German attackers and British defenders in the first aerial 'Battle of Britain', illustrated with 117 B&W photos. Generally, each photo has a quite detailed description of an aircraft type or an event, such as the shooting down of a zeppelin. It covers everything from the first attack by seaplanes, through the zeppelin era to the use of G- and R-type bombers. While many of the photos and their subjects are commonly reproduced in other publications, there are also some rare or unusual examples, such as the ungainly Gotha Ursinus WD (a Gotha G.I with twin floats) but the standout photo for me is a returning Gotha raid, with 20 aircraft visible in a single picture. Published in the 1980s, the Vintage Warbirds series still turns up at book exchanges for not a lot more than the original cover price of £4.95, which makes it quite a bargain for what you get. I bought this through Amazon UK for £9.99, so a similar price to new Ospreys.