Ares Games

Ares Airco DH.2 Rigging Experiment.

My brother found a deal on EBay for a trio of DH.2s and offered one to me as payback for one of my Valom N.17 kits. When I saw it, it whispered to me "I need some rigging". The Ares fuselage (tubular steel in the real thing) is necessarily stout and therefore larger in scale, so I started with a 32 gauge wire for the fuselage. It is also "heavy" but sort of in scale with the fuselage itself (besides it is easy to work with). The rest is monofilament thread left over from my Minicraft Titanic kit. It was wound on a piece of card board and not a spool so that I have straight sections and not a continuous curve that I have to try and straighten out. It is fiddly gluing in these threads, but then what about 144 scale isn't. :<) I decided to pin drill the upper ailerons and insert a small bit of 32g in order to add some control wire. I am going to stop rigging at this point as I still want to have the Airco in the air. Adding more control wires would give me no place to grip the plane without tearing up something.
  1. Rigged and repainted
  2. Monofilement thread for Wing Rigging and control Lines
  3. Monofilement side view
  4. Monofilement front view
  5. With the Pyrkol Lewis gun jam counters
  6. With some strut repainting2
  7. With some strut repainting
  8. Airco in the air.
  9. Front and end guys applied
  10. Applying front and end guys
  11. 32g rig3 paint
  12. 32g rig2