Ares Games

Models - Warspite plus 1:72 rehabs and Titanic

If interested in a complete description of the HMS Warspite construction see my Youtube video slide show. The 1:72 E.III and Nieuport 28 are 35 years old and recently rehabbed.

Titanic was my first build in over 25 years. It was an eye opening experience with much experimentation on how to supplement photoetch brass with other materials to improve detail. Case in point was the use of aluminum window screen wire for the funnel stay cables. Only thread was supplied in the kit and the instructions suggested an extreme installation using sprue bits etc., not to mention having to straighten out monofilament thread. I thought, if a suitable scale wire could be found it would be easier to install the stay cables using the holes molded into the funnels and boat deck after installation of the deck and funnels instead of before (as the instructions suggested). I discovered that pulling and smoothing individual threads of wire from aluminum window screen would do the trick. Tedious work preparing the wire, but no worse that drilling out every port hole by hand, and I think it paid off.
One other thing I decided in mid-build was to add some lighting, but how? I built a channel of cardboard with 11 LEDs (from Evans Designs) wire snaked into the hull through the forcastle deck and leads out the hull bottom. The effect turned out fairly well.

Lessons learned carried over to the HMS Warspite where more improvisation got decent results. If you have seen this album before you might notice that the photos have changed. I had to delete some due to data limitations, but now I am a Silver member so I have added the first 5 photos back. I have not figured out the means to order the photos - maybe there is no way! Anyhow, the first five show various stages of the build of the bridge deck assembly. Other assemblies like this took place and then all were affixed to the deck. Like I say, planning ahead is essential. As noted above, if you need more see the YouTube video.

To do over again I would search for wood decking for the Titanic - if ever I live that long! But one thing I did do was remove the kit supplied stairs and replace with PE stairs left over from my BB35 build (you can view my album of BB35 or go to William Blecke Youtube).
  1. stairs
  2. IMG 1826
  3. IMG 1823
  4. IMG 1822
  5. IMG 1821
  6. IMG 1820
  7. IMG 1819
  8. IMG 1818
  9. IMG 1817
  10. Boat Pom Pom Deckj with boats added
  11. Boat Pom Pom Deck4
  12. Boat Pom Pom Deck3
  13. Boat Pom Pom Deck2
  14. Boat Pom Pom Deck complete with all ladders, scratch stairs and railings.
  15. LEDS installed2
  16. LEDs installed1
  17. LED light bar2
  18. LED light bar1
  19. Port stern quarter showing accommodation stairs
  20. Port railing installed amidship.  Note catapult and boat deck installed.
  21. Starboard Bridge near completion.
  22. Completion port amidships
  23. Complete on base.
  24. Hobby Lobby Book
  25. forecastle with anchor chains, winches, bollards etc.
  26. Accommodation stairs   scratch build
  27. Funnel Cables
  28. LEDS installed3
  29. DSCN1247
  30. DSCN1246
  31. DSCN1245
  32. Display 4
  33. Display 3
  34. Display 2
  35. Display 1
  36. Nieuport 28 rehab4
  37. Nieuport 28 rehab3