Ares Games

WWI Real Picture Postcard Images

It was suggested that I upload a few of the real picture postcards that I have collected. All of these have also been discussed on the www.theaerodrome.com forums as well.
  1. Feldluftschiffer 1914 Abkochen 1 Sent to me by LuftschiffHarry in Germany - a great picture of the crew and their uniforms
  2. cropped image of the caquot's crew.
  3. Here is the message home to his parents, I think.  Unfortunately, my knowledge of German does not include the ability to read this script.
  4. German Balloon Squadron with their caquot balloon.  I am wondering if the balloon is upside down for the picture to hide the camo fabric?
  5. Fesselballon Kriegsszenario Chronik 1918 

This was sent to my by LuftschiffHarry...a great illustration that is in a 1918 book he has
  6. US Fesselballon
  7. FarmanF40
  8. caudron
  9. AlbatrosDII
  10. Versailles Aerostiers 1
  11. German crews filling an observation balloon.
  12. Destroyed observation balloon that apparently either burst and fell onto the wench, or burst as it was being pulled down.  No identifying data.
  13. German Caquot and Crew - straight scan.  1918.
  14. GerCaquotBack
  15. Here I played with the contrast a bit to pull out the change in the fabric under the one canard...possible repair?
  16. Ground crew with a bit of digital sharpening.
  17. Pilotobserver
  18. Austrian, pilot and observer, with a plane
  19. Flight briefing in the field
  20. crashedplane
  21. Lft4 German Fesselballoon
  22. Lft4GroundCrew
  23. Lft4Back
  24. crashedEngPlane
  25. CrashedEngPlane2
  26. inscription on side of the image
  27. back of post card
  28. 50th Reserve Regiment of Field Artillery
  29. BalloonCrewRsz
  30. BalloonCrewRvs
  31. Crew1
  32. Crew2
  33. Balloon observers
  34. Second from the left is Georg Schutz of Hamburg.
  35. great close up of this group image - note the pipe, ribbons, and of course the dog!
  36. German balloon field location.  Cannot find where the X indicates the group's residences but I suspect it is right below that area behind the balloon...
  37. Zoom of the same area.  Great details here.
  38. This is a picture of a Nieuport 16 with tail numbers N959 - note the rocket tubes!  Now, I am working to affirm that this is in fact Adjutant Henri...
  39. Close up tubes and numbers
  40. Still not certain as to who this is.
  41. This could be the artillery pieces that were used in that barrage.  If so, this one didn't fair well.
  42. Zeppelin Straaken
  43. Fesselballon with crew and gondola.
  44. Winch crew at Verdun, Christmas 1917.
  45. This is a RPPC that was cut down to this image.  I suspect it was done when printed as there appears to be a slight double exposure of the print.  No...
  46. fessel balloon basket - good shot of rigging and such.
  47. Feldluftschiffer Ballonkorb Mannschaft 1
  48. FELDLUFTSCHIFFER BILD 02
  49. IMG
  50. 1958835
  51. I received this image from a collector in Germany. I don't know anything about the copyright, so I am sharing it here solely for educational...
  52. Winter in France with an observation balloon aloft!
  53. Here the image has been cropped of this French Balloon - there is no information as to a date or location.  Caquot design - interesting stripe around...
  54. 1918 photograph of US Army observation balloon of the caquot style.  This is a zoom of the gondola with its passengers. The image has been sharpened...
  55. This is a digital scan of the RPPC of the US Army caquot.  I have played with the contrast slightly on this scan.
  56. Atthefront 

This is just a great perspective - really like this image.
  57. BalloonTraining 

From the information I got at www.theaerodrome.com this is probably a state unit that is undergoing training.  And as an enlisted...
  58. GermanFesselAerial 

Great shot that is a 5 x 7 image.  You can see trenches and the way the balloon does blend somewhat into the fields.
  59. IMG
  60. IMG 0002
  61. Fessel3rsz
  62. GermanCrashRsz
  63. Rszadjsted 

This plane is actually right after the war and is being used in a mail service around Oklahoma.  Digital scaning revealed a refernce to...
  64. IMG
  65. IMG 0001 
Captured or reparations plane
  66. IMG 0003 
Part of a collection of photos that showed a group of US soldiers in late 1918 and 1919 visiting various sites in France and Europe
  67. ImgRsz 
It's believed that this is a picture taken at a post WWI rally or maybe a county fair
  68. ImgRsz 

Soldiers had more access to cameras and images.  I like the fact that this is one where the person on the bike was taking the picture.
  69. USNCaquotRsz 

USN Caquot.  Was a nice find as finding US material from this time is a bit harder than that of the German and Allied forces.
  70. USArmyinFranceRsz 

This was sent by a Mich Rex Casto to his sister in Ravenwood, WV.  Haven't been able to learn more about this US soldier and...
  71. SignalCorpsRsz 

This is a British group that on the back it is written nearly all of these men were killed.  The picture is from the 1914 to 1915...
  72. IMG 0002 

THis picture is identified and was one of the first that I found.  it's discussed at www.theaerodrome.com
  73. Avatar
  74. IMG 0001 
An early picture of German pilots who have received their Iron Cross awards
  75. TwoBalloons
  76. 14Balloon 

This was a great find.  It's two US balloons in France.  The Caquot has the number 14 on it in the cockade.  This is a cropped and...
  77. IMG 0004 

British aircraft that was shot down or brought down.  NOTE THE BOMBS JUST HANGING THERE....um not sure I would be standing too close.
  78. IMGDrkned 

This is a fesselballoon that has been moored within a grove of trees to provide some protection.
  79. IMG 

A German Caquot being deployed.
Showing photos 1 to 79 of 79