Ares Games

U.S.S. Merrimack (AO-37) in WWII

My Father's ship pictured in this album served throughout the war originally in the North Atlantic run to the UK and one trip to Archangel Russia, then to the Mediterranean for several landings in the invasion of North Africa, as well as landings in Sicily, Italy, and Southern France before being sent through the Panama Canal to join the fast carrier task force for the liberation of the Philippines, and landings at Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and carrier operations against mainland Japan.
The 6th photo is the famous "murderer's row" from Ulithi anchorage (at the time the largest naval installation in the world). My Father's ship is just outside of the frame in the lower left.
  1. USS Merrimack (AO 37) at anchor c1945
  2. USS Merrimack AO 37 underway in Mediterranean.
  3. U.S.S. Merrimack underway somewhere in the Atlantic.
  4. U.S.S. Merrimack operating somewhere in the Pacific.
  5. U.S.S. Merrimack performing simultaneous underway refueling of Essex class carrier and Fletcher class destroyer in the Pacific. My Dad told the story...
  6. "Murderer's Row" at Ulithi mid ocean anchorage. My Father's ship just outside the frame in bottom left. Photo taken by plane from U.S.S. Ticonderoga...
  7. Another view of Murderer's Row in Ulithi Anchorage December 1944. In order are Wasp (CV-18), Yorktown (CV-10), Hornet (CV-12), Hancock (CV-19). Note...
Showing photos 1 to 7 of 7