Ares Games

Ernst Udet

My Brother is to blame for getting me started on the Udet journey. Ernst was quite a character and pilot who's life, unfortunately, came to an end in tragic fashion. I have included historical excerpts that I have found and created two separate word documents - WWI and WWII. I had tried bidding on a Nexes Series II Udet D.VII, but the bidding went high so I bailed and decided, let's try a repaint.

The first thing to do was to take the Goering D.VII purchased and remove and cut down the existing cross decals on the fuselage and wings, respectively. I mixed a red, yellow, brown to get a more orange tinted red and worked on the cowling and undercarriage. The struts also needed painting according to numerous paintings and photos of other models researched.
Tamiya masking tape, 6mm worked out well for 2 mm stripes. Trying to hand paint letters is, well, very trying! I know it's crude, but without decals I have to simply keep touching up until it looks reasonable.
Once the Top of the upper wing stripes are completed it is move to the under side. After that it is a coat of dullcoat and then onto the fuselage cross decals and finally, with the help of Solvaset, the lower wing lozenge and under fuselage and elevator lozenge decals, crosses on the bottom wing.
  1. Undereside
  2. Lower wing decal2
  3. Lower wing decal1
  4. Fuselage Crosses applied.
  5. Underwing Striped
  6. U Starboard
  7. U Port
  8. Top Stripes2
  9. Top Stripes (1)
  10. Stripes marching Du doch nicht taking shape.
  11. Lo ! painted
  12. 6mm Tamiya tape means 2mm stripes
  13. Repaint undercarriage
  14. Repaint decal removal
  15. Repaint cowel
Showing photos 1 to 15 of 15