Ares Games

Christmas Train

While I had model trains as a kid I am not a Model Train guy - Yet - but I do have a Bachmann Train set (bought through Hawthorne Village - Thomas Kinkade) that I set up around the Tree at Christmas. Bachmann's On30 (O scale - narrow gauge) is perfect for use with Christmas Villages.

The last two Christmas' we have had our Granddaughter who insists that the train be running when she is there! Well, that started it. The Thomas Kinkade set, while mostly a nice green, was no longer Christmassy enough for Grandpa!

It started with finding a couple of additional Bachmann Christmas Coaches - Red cars - a Norman Rockwell "Santa" and Rudolf The Red Nose Reindeer "Elf" Coach. Then I wanted an older period Locomotive that I could customize - found a 4-4-0 in Canada!

The pictures show what I did to the Loco, plus a rehab of the Thomas Kinkade Cargo Coach to replace the single burnt out incandescent bulb with 5 LEDs from Evans Design. Three 3mm and two 1.8mm all with their own bridge circuits that run on DC, 3-19 V - perfect! Wire in parallel to the two existing leads and your done!

I had another Kinkade car to do, also the rehab of the Norman Rockwell with LEDs, a little paint and additional of cargo and figures.

The Kincade coach was a bit o a problem since when I wired it and put it on the track- NO LIGHT. I now know everything there is about deconstructing a Bachmann coach. I took it down to the truck from which a soldiered lead had broken off. Once that was repaired and the car reassembled she lit right up - Whew!
The first photo of the Loco now shows I painted the "E & N" on the cab and cleaned up the tender lettering Nov. 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euMCnAmC3DQ&feature=youtu.be
This is if you wish to see a short video shot 12-11-16 of the "Elf & Northern" run at the North Pole Village. Much work, but satisfying for my Granddaughter and the family.
August 2017 - I found a Plasticville water tower on ebay that needed TLC and some custom work. Testor Metalizer, Dark Red and Tamiya weathering "makeup" along with some thread and 32 gauge wire and I have a nice HO gauge tanjk that will work nicely with my On30 Christmas trains.
  1. Spout Control
  2. WT support
  3. Tank weathered
  4. Tank roof
  5. Tank profile
  6. GEDC0279
  7. Rockwell Santa Rehab
  8. Rockwell Santa Rehab   LEDs   Green Seats   Weathered Floor
  9. Rockwell Santa Rehab   Happy Trainman
  10. Rockwell Santa Rehab   Cargo
  11. Rockwell Santa Rehab   Cargo Loader
  12. Cargo Pallet   Opposite