Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded the site today

Default Upgraded the site today

I upgrade the site to the latest software version today. Everything seems to be running fine, but if you notice something, please post it here for me to check into.

Probably the biggest change for you guys and gals is the What's New? tab on the Nab bar up top. This should help keep you up to speed on what has happened on the site since your last visit. It's very similar to the old link under the Forum tab before. However, this new version is more powerful and pulls in everything including new photos members have uploaded, new articles posted to the Home page and all kinds of other stuff.

Enjoy.

New version seems to be running smoothly (I'm accessing on an iPad at the moment), but the link that I found most useful - namely 'view subscribed threads' has vanished from the top. Where do I now find this? The single-click link was extremely useful.

The 'what's new' link is a useful addition, but doesn't replace the 'subscribed threads' link which was a very useful tracking/bookmarking tool.

Forum > Quick Links > Subscribed Threads at the top. Or, My Profile > My Activities > Subscriptions.

If this was your main entrance page to the site, I suggest you simply bookmark the new page so that you go directly to it... with out any clicks on the site at all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Forum > Quick Links > Subscribed Threads at the top. Or, My Profile > My Activities > Subscriptions.

If this was your main entrance page to the site, I suggest you simply bookmark the new page so that you go directly to it... with out any clicks on the site at all
    Got it, thanks.

I tended to use the forum menu as a preferred entrance page; now perhaps the 'what's new' page seems the way to go. Two clicks to get to the subscriptions page is fine; a single extra isn't exactly an issue...!

So what has happened to the rep points? I was over 800 last week and now they are not even logged any more? Just wondering . . .

It'll take some getting used to with the new path to "latest posts", but I'll manage.

I clicked post reply at night with my long AAR from Prague and all text was lost. Herr Oberst, could you - by any chance - restore it

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    So what has happened to the rep points? I was over 800 last week and now they are not even logged any more? Just wondering . . .
    The Rep points and system are still there. I see on your profile page/Rep tab that you have 830 points. Take a look in your profile settings and see if everything looks normal there.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    It'll take some getting used to with the new path to "latest posts", but I'll manage.
    You should just be able to use the What's New tab at the very top.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    I clicked post reply at night with my long AAR from Prague and all text was lost. Herr Oberst, could you - by any chance - restore it
    Were you in the Post New Thread page, replying to a thread already made? If the later, were you using the quick reply or "Go Advanced"?

I clicked a notification earlier about an hour ago and wound up on a page which held my latest reps (received and given) and subscribed threads. I found that very useful, but now I can't find it again - What's it called?

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    I clicked a notification earlier about an hour ago and wound up on a page which held my latest reps (received and given) and subscribed threads. I found that very useful, but now I can't find it again - What's it called?

/Niclas
    Ah, I found that one and can help you out, should the Oberst have retired for the night. Click the "settings" link, right up at the top next to the "log out" link.

Yes, that's the one - Thanks, Alex!

/Niclas

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    Ah, I found that one and can help you out, should the Oberst have retired for the night.
    What, me retire from duty?!?!? Not while you Tommies are still about in the air

'What's New' used to give you a view of the previous 24hrs of activity on the site; in currently has less than 2hrs of activity: is there any chance of restoring a longer 'What's New' time window, otherwise anyone taking mopre than a couple of hours sleep will potentially miss posts?

It actually stores 7 days worth right now. However, since it has been less then 24 hours since the upgrade, it can't show what it did not see. Make sense?

Affirm; waiting out.

'Community' tag appears to be missing from the home page, but is present on others.

Each tab has it's own set of sublinks (or none at all). So, I'm not so sure if it's "missing". The Home page (and tab) are about the news an articles while the Forum area of the site is about the community. So I think it's okay?

I know that change always takes a bit of getting used to, but I really miss the CONCISE listing of What's New. Some topics get a LOT of traffic, and with the new format I have to wade through a listing (with quoted text) of every single post to every single topic. It was much easier to sort through when I simply had a list of topics that had activity.

Just my 2 cents.

I must admit, I preferred the older "Whats New" page. It was certainly more useful (IMHO) than what we have now.

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

So far (fingers crossed/knocking on wood) the new tab works fine. I like the upgrade, so far. Thanks Herr Oberst!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Herr Oberst, could you tell me where my 'Reputation' tab is now located? I do not seem to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Herr Oberst, could you tell me where my 'Reputation' tab is now located? I do not seem to have one.
    Too much drinking in the mess, everyones blown their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    I found the rep counter finally, but must admit it's hidden now (in My Profile, down the screen).

Settings tells you how many rep points you have, in the heading of rep received.

I like the upgrade. The What's new tab as it is now is a good way to browse recent activity, especially for doing it on my phone.

/Niclas

There should still be a Rep tab in your Profile just like before....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rep.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	55067

No it is not... Of course, I can live with it

No it is not... Of course, I can live with it
    For what it's worth, I don't have that either. Granted I don't need much space to store my newbie rep!

For those not showing the Rep tab, please check in your Settings and ensure that display rep is turned on.

Hmm...

I don't have the rep tab in my profile and when I go to Settings I don't see where to turn on/off display rep.
    Also there seems to be something a bit off with the rep received - I think the amount is correct (I honestly don't know how much rep I had before), but there seems to be a lot of actual rep received entries missing.

/Niclas

For those not showing the Rep tab, please check in your Settings and ensure that display rep is turned on.
    I'm not sure where that is Keith. Could you post where that tab is ?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/mem...Von-Klugermann

You should just be able to click on My Profile in the top right and see it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rep2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	55079

When I hit My Profile I don't see the rep or infractions tab. The settings tab gives a list of rep given and received but no way to display it or turn it off

How did you make a pic of the page ? I tried to do it but only got the logo at the top.

Have a look now. The infractions tab is an admin only thing.

Have a look now. The infractions tab is an admin only thing.

No change Keith.

It's there now but the the list is truncated only showing the rep from this month. What did you have to do ? I'm curious.
    Last edited by Willi Von Klugermann; 08-01-2012 at 13:10.

There was a new setting in each of the UserGroups. I had to just turn it on for each one.

There was a new setting in each of the UserGroups. I had to just turn it on for each one.

What are user groups and is the truncated list a function of this as well ?

Not sure what you mean by truncated list, but you can read up all you want on usergroups here. It's like the 23rd one down on the left hand menu.

See mine now also. Have to get used to new things I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi Von Klugermann View Post
    No change Keith.
    No change here as well.

No change here as well.
    Please try clearing your cache for the site.

What are user groups and is the truncated list a function of this as well ?
    Not sure what you mean by truncated list, but you can read up all you want on usergroups here. It's like the 23rd one down on the left hand menu.

If I go on someones profile and click the rep tab it gives a listing of only the last 10 or so entries where previously all the entries were listed.

I must admit to preferring the old "Whats New" page to the new one.

Please try clearing your cache for the site.
    I'm affraid I do not know what it means...sorry.

I'm affraid I do not know what it means...sorry.
    If you go into your browser via the menu bar at the top, you should find - likely under a sub-heading called privacy, or preferences, options, or maybe security - an option to 'clear cache'. It's a 'press it and do it once' function, not a setting that you switch on/off and leave. All it does it remove the copy of the web page that the computer temporarily keeps, and forces it to download a fresh copy.

Apologies for the vague instructions, but different browsers do it slightly differently, and the one I'm currently using does it very differently! Hope that helps...

Thanks Alex!
    I use Opera browser. Did what you had written, but there is still no tab in my prefile. Maybe other users can see it, but me - not.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Rep tab works now. Thanks Keith, now I can take pride in having my bad reputation back(ala Joan Jett)!

If I go on someones profile and click the rep tab it gives a listing of only the last 10 or so entries where previously all the entries were listed.
    The total shown is correct but I've only got my last 10 rep point entries shown in a list under the Reputation tab, however, they are all shown if I click on Settings ?!

Everything looks good to me, Herr Oberst.
    Karl

Echoing preference for old "what's new" listing by thread instead of post, though I do like the new location.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast