Ares Games

Thread: coolest Albatross DV colors?

Default coolest Albatross DV colors?

Albatross DV have been painted in an incredible large variety of schemes. Which one is your favorite? Mine is Hans Bohning's.

Name:  510px-Albatros_Bohning_Herbert.jpg
Views: 6764
Size:  15.9 KB
    Attached Images  

A difficult choice, the Albatros is one of my favourite planes from the Great War.
    The one I am choosing is Otto Kissenberth's the subject of my latest Albatross paint job.

Guys I can't believe your paint jobs. They are outstanding.

Bob, Hans Bohning's Albatross pic I posted above is not my paint job, I grab it from the internet just as a reference
    I do have a couple of 1/72 Albatross (in different stages of building process), of of them is a Richthoffen's one. I'll try to upload a pic of it later (it may not be possible 'cause my camera and my laptop have some compatibility issues not solved yet)

Sorry to disappoint Bob but that picture I posted was only for illustration as well.
    The best picture I have of my repaint job is this

Unfortunately my camera is not behaving itself and my close up shots are very blurry.

wow i love the paint jobs guys

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Yeah, me too, Travis! I'm rooting for Kissenberth against the HP!

Thumbs up

I have always likes Paul Baumers Albatross which also features an eidelweiss.

Name:  WW1 Baumers Albatross.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  100.7 KB

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    Albatross DV have been painted in an incredible large variety of schemes. Which one is your favorite? Mine is Hans Bohning's.

Name:  510px-Albatros_Bohning_Herbert.jpg
Views: 6764
Size:  15.9 KB
    Incidently recent research & checking of the available photos now confirm that he did not have an Ace of Spades card on the fuselarge & that it was actually a partally obscured German Cross insignia.
    The card idea came from the fact that he was a well known Card gambler & the late Dan-San Abbott had a pic that originally appeared to show a playing card.
    Just another bit of facinating WW1 Trivia.

Beautiful paint schemes,but I'd have to go with Bohning's.I'm pretty sure the crew chief said "you want what"

Don't have a picture yet , Ltn Wolfs Alb D. V. .

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    Don't have a picture yet , Ltn Wolfs Alb D. V. .
    You mean this one. Looks great but wouldn't like to paint it, I've painted Bavarian flags before when I was 20 years younger but the old eyes couldn't manage it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    You mean this one. Looks great but wouldn't like to paint it, I've painted Bavarian flags before when I was 20 years younger but the old eyes couldn't manage it now.

Definately a case for body decals
    I love it, though.
    Karl

Mine has to be the one shown in my avatar, that of Ltn. Helmut Dilthey of Jasta 40:

Name:  albatros_dv_eduard_1_48_ingram_bell_14.JPG
Views: 4935
Size:  50.2 KB

I would love for Ares to eventually do an official mini of it!

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I have always likes Paul Baumers Albatross which also features an eidelweiss.

Name:  WW1 Baumers Albatross.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  100.7 KB
    Love that print, Barry!! I bought a few of Russel Smith's prints last year. One is professionally framed in my sons room, and the other will be framed soon. It's also an Albatros D.V print. I think I may have to buy the one you're showing!!

I stand corrected. My print is a Pfalz D.III (Rudenburg). Oops.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    Mine has to be the one shown in my avatar, that of Ltn. Helmut Dilthey of Jasta 40:

Name:  albatros_dv_eduard_1_48_ingram_bell_14.JPG
Views: 4935
Size:  50.2 KB

I would love for Ares to eventually do an official mini of it!
    Nice Kev!

to be true: I opened this thread to help me decide about my next two Albatross re-paintings.
    I was thinking about this guy:

Name:  albatrosdvexpo2005_9.jpg
Views: 3898
Size:  50.7 KB

But Helmut Dilthey's green-stripped bird has just won my heart!

So I have a winer!

but keep posting more skins: I have yet to decide about one more!

Love this Bayern Alb. Wow...that is awesome

I got these

Bohning on the right

Don't take this wrong but you are sick people to do such great work on your planes. I bow to you abaility.

Ok. I finally managed to get some pics of my Bohning re-paint as well as two others, here they go:

Name:  IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  82.5 KBName:  IMG_1760.jpg
Views: 3490
Size:  71.4 KBName:  IMG_1794.jpg
Views: 3486
Size:  173.4 KBName:  IMG_1799.jpg
Views: 3509
Size:  143.5 KB

Albatros DV Jasta 18

Name:  IMG_1765.jpg
Views: 3528
Size:  76.1 KBName:  IMG_1766.jpg
Views: 3485
Size:  90.5 KBName:  IMG_1767.jpg
Views: 3490
Size:  88.7 KBName:  IMG_1770.jpg
Views: 3479
Size:  78.2 KB

Not exacly a re-paint, this is a 1/72 Eduard's Profi-Pack Albatros DV, painted as one of Richtoffen's planes. Name:  IMG_1827.jpg
Views: 3469
Size:  83.5 KBName:  IMG_1829.jpg
Views: 3464
Size:  84.0 KBName:  IMG_1830.jpg
Views: 3441
Size:  85.7 KBName:  IMG_1836.jpg
Views: 3462
Size:  91.0 KBName:  IMG_1840.jpg
Views: 3449
Size:  84.1 KBName:  IMG_1842.jpg
Views: 3489
Size:  77.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Don't take this wrong but you are sick people to do such great work on your planes.
    agree

really cool models Chris!

Thanks for the praise Ezekiel, I did pm you but not sure if it went through.
    When I painted my version of Bohning Iused the card from the game as the reference, it was one of my first efforts, but seeing the colours of yours & others on line I may have to revisit this one as I really like your version

Hi Chris! No, your pm didn't come through

regarding my models, I've been building and painting scale models for about 20 years now so I have a few tricks hidden in my sleeve
    but I have to say that painting such a small scale is always a challenge

For my version of Bohning's Albatross I first dismounted the mini, then removed most of the original paint, then primed it in gray, then painted it in white, then mask it and painted the light-blue strips with an airbrush. Then I applied lozenge decals, and give washes and dry-brush in certain areas to weather the plane a little ... so as you see Bob is right when he says I'm a little sick

I know some Albatross from Paul Baumer's Squadron very very nice, but I can't post the photos now.

The wood grain is just astounding. Fantastic work. I'd love to see any of those! So far, I haven't seen Ares really take a leap at an ambitious paint scheme. I wonder if that has to do with manufacturing costs or something. I know there was discussion a while back about hobbyists really wanting some plain planes to layer their stunning work onto.

Good grain is tricky and I'm not sure it can be done withe mass production painting, unless some type of decal is applied.

There are some decals available from Revisco but not for Albatross DV

If you like to paint or re-paint a mini your self, here is my technique for getting a decent good grain look:

paint the fuselage in matt white and let it dry.

Mix burnt siena and toast siena oils paints until you get the color you want (for an Albatross DV, it should be mostly lighter color with just a touch of the darker one).

Grab a flat brush and paint the plane with long brushstrokes going all the way form the nose to the tail and back, giving no more than one or two coats. The brushstrokes would create the grainy look. If you give too many coats you'll loose the grainy look and end up with a flat sienna fuselage, the trick is to get a semi-transparent coat and letting the strokes to be visible.

once the oil job is done, let the oil paints dry well! that may take a few days. Avoid touching the plane for at least 72 hours. (seriously)

then cover the model with semi-gloss coat to protect the oils. Let dry well.

ready to play!

Hope that helps.

PS: scale in WOG minis don't help much for a decent good-grain painting. I've done a Baumer's Plane and looks nice though, I'll try to post a pic later. The Richthofen's Albatross pics I've posted on this thread (see above) is a 1/72 model from Eduards (not an Ares' mini)