Ares Games

Thread: 1/144 Desert Hurricane IIc by Arii

Default 1/144 Desert Hurricane IIc by Arii

These 4 planes are Hurricane IIc models from Arii. I have had them in their boxes for quite a while. Arii turn up on ebay occasionally. They were a relatively straight-forward build and I met no significant problems with them.

Having put them together and feeling a bit whimsical, I decided to add “pilots” to the planes. This entailed sticking a small blob of GW Green Stuff into the cockpit (as really there was no cockpit recess, the fuselage parts just joined directly together). When dry I painted the area around the “head” black to suggest a cockpit area and then painted the “head” with a face, flying helmet and goggles. Unfortunately you cannot really see the head through the canopy very well, although I suspect that it might otherwise appear a bit empty. I have included a photo without the canopies attached so that you can see my intrepid lads in all their miniature glory!

Major paint colours used are Humbrol 29 (Dark Earth), 65 (Aircraft Blue) and 93 (Desert Yellow).

The decals in the kits basically comprised 6 red/white/blue roundels and nothing else, not even a tail flash. All the decals were put aside for later WW1 use and the wing roundels, tail flashes and serial numbers were replaced by “1/144 Direct “ decals.
    The fuselage code numbers/roundels were ‘borrowed’ from yet unbuilt Hurricanes from Hurricane II aircraft from 1/144 Wing Kit Collection 9. These decals included:
    QO-T and QO-Z. I cut the R to make QO-R from another set of Hurricane decals in WKC9. I made the F for QO-F by cutting off part of the top of the ”T” from QO-T and repositioning it as an ”F”.

OCD?

The planes were given a peg of 222 Evergreen rod for basing on Litko bases.
    I hope you like these RAF desert workhorses!

Unfortunately the pictures have not loaded in an order I would have liked, but you can't have everything! Some more pix of these in My Profile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails desert hurri 6.jpg   hurricane 2_2.jpg   desert hurri 5.jpg   desert hurri 2.jpg   hurricane arii 5.jpg  

hurricane arii 4.jpg   hurricane arii 3.jpg   hurricane arii 2.jpg   hurricane arii 1.jpg   hurricane arii 6.jpg  

Last edited by Dark Horse; 08-28-2012 at 03:45. Reason: add photo

mucno716

How are you dong the canopy lines? Pray tell?

Quote Originally Posted by mucno716 View Post
    How are you dong the canopy lines? Pray tell?
    .003 brush (that has been worn away to just a few bristles), bright light and following the engraved lines in the canopy - - as much as possible!

I also used Vallejo paint for this task, nearly neat from the bottle - just a few drops of water to make it flow without it going everywhere!

I hope this helps!

good work Nigel.
    The heads (even if not seen well) still add that something to the impression that a plane is supposed to be flying by having a pilot!!

Thanks Peter! My camera would not take a photo that close, but I was pretty happy with the outcome for what was really minimal outlay of time and resources. I will almost certainly do it again on similar models by Arii, Minicraft etc. Unfortunately the pilots are a little hard to see under the canopy too. I will soon be putting up photos of Minicraft Spitfire V which gone through the same process.

Thumbs up

G'day Nigel!
    I presumethey are the "tank hunting" hurricanes with the 20mm Cannons.

Very nice work mate & adding the pilots was well worth the effort.

I have a 1/72 Corgi Desert Kittyhawk of Sqd Ldr Bobby Gibbs with the large "noseart" panel as well as a Hurricane tank buster.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day Nigel!

Very nice work mate & adding the pilots was well worth the effort.

I have a 1/72 Corgi Desert Kittyhawk of Sqd Ldr Bobby Gibbs with the large "noseart" panel as well as a Hurricane tank buster.
    My hurricanes will take on all comers - tanks, planes, ships, Americans*, except they may struggle a bit with the four BF 109 F's that I am currently painting.

*I was joking about the Americans...

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Those are 20mm cannon-armed Hurricane IIcs, but the 'tank hunter' is the Hurricane IId with a podded 40mm AT gun under each wing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	59005
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 09-02-2012 at 11:51.

Awesome model Rick. Your photo makes it look much larger. Great job on both.

Probably because it's a 1/48 scale kit image I pulled off the web to illustrate what a tank-busting IId looks like. I can take no credit for the work.
    BofB

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Those are 20mm cannon-armed Hurricane IIcs, but the 'tank hunter' is the Hurricane IId with a podded 40mm AT gun under each wing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	59005
    Yes Balders my Hurry Tank Hunter model has the podded guns.

upsized big-boomers compared to 20mm peashooters!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
    My hurricanes will take on all comers - tanks, planes, ships, Americans*, except they may struggle a bit with the four BF 109 F's that I am currently painting.

*I was joking about the Americans...
    I think one of my good friends told me this, coming from his father, a WWII vereran.

"When the Germans shoot, the British duck. When the British shoot, the Germans duck. When the Americans shoot, everybody ducks."

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by kaufschtick View Post
    I think one of my good friends told me this, coming from his father, a WWII vereran.

"When the Germans shoot, the British duck. When the British shoot, the Germans duck. When the Americans shoot, everybody ducks."

LOL!

YESH!

(BTW, amazing what kinds of pictures you get when you google "American Duck Hunter"...)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails daffy.jpg  

Very nice job,even though they're covered you can still see the pilots which adds a lot. great job

Spifing squadron young chap..get the bird cage sand out and hurry up with the Me's, me's want to see the four on four scrap. Very nicely done!

Smile

Kevin

It would be a long range tussle but here goes!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P8250145.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    Spifing squadron young chap..get the bird cage sand out and hurry up with the Me's, me's want to see the four on four scrap. Very nicely done!
    Roger Wilco!

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Kevin

It would be a long range tussle but here goes!

Rich

Apparently my DOW measuring stick would have trouble measuring firing to the wing tips of my 1/144 Avro Lancaster, let alone all the way to Virginia!

Nigel

A virtual long range stick will do the job!!

Rich

Similar Missions

1. Desert Dual
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 04:01
  2. Ju 52 (Zvezda 1/200) early war and desert camouflage
    By Marechallannes in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 12:50
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-19-2012, 05:53