Ares Games

Thread: A Thanksgiving Horror Story...

Default A Thanksgiving Horror Story...

So.... yesterday was Thanksgiving in the U.S. I , like many other Americans, spent the day with Family, overstuffing ourselves with turky, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and all the other fixin's... and then I came home exhausted and full and sat down at the computer to log onto the 'Drome.

I had commented on a few posts and was just getting ready to answer another when all of a sudden I hear a "FOOOOOM" and the lights flicker... and then two seconds later another "FOOOOOM" and off goes the PC... out go all the lights!

So, I went to the hobby room, got a flashlight, and proceeded to investigate... it turns out that a power transformer near the house had shorted out and exploded and was on fire... the power was going to be out for a while...

I decided I would just go to bed and continue with my evening plans in the morning....

I get up this morning, grab some coffee, and switch on my PC to log on... only to find that the power surge from the PC shutting down suddenly has completely hosed my Windows install, and the PC will not boot no matter what I do... no big deal really, since I have the parts and was planning on building a brand new PC today anyhow! WOOOT!

At this point you might be asking yourself "What does this have to do with hobby stuff and why is it in this forum??" ... and now we get to the kicker...

I then proceed to the hobby room to work on my Reviresco Tripehound project... it turns out that while I was fumbling in the dark for my flashlight, I managed to knock the model off the table. It was now in shambles... alll the struts bent multiple times and having broken loose... A perfect wing assembly ruined beyond repair...

So I need your help please. ( I know... by now you are saying " Dang, this guy sure is long-winded...)

The struts are not in any shape to be straightened and reused, as it appears I may have stepped on the thing... I need to find a good replacement alternative for the four white metal struts...

What would the community suggest please?

Ack.. what a morning... for now I am going to build the new PC... check back later!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Hmm have you tried contacting Reviresco and see if they will replace just the struts for you?
    It may be worth a shot

Thats a cautionary tale for sure on a lot of counts... best not go there though and just sympathise with your predicament.

In addition I do not have any solutions for you

But good luck on your quest for one.

Lucky.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

When I was building my Gloster Gladiator I ruined the struts. What I did to replace it was a hobby hand drill on the bottom wings and top wings where the struts would have gone and use a paperclip. basically pinned the wings.

I feel your pain - gravity and a large bottle of Kleer = one unhappy FE2b.

Having spent so long on the thing I hadn't the heart to try re-assembling it, and really couldn't be bothered to make a crashed aircraft marker out of it.

However, if you are made of sterner stuff than me, when I replace struts I use plastic rod, cement them in place, then run a narrow flat file over the inside and outside edges to simulate an aerofoil shape.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Ken,
    We feel your pain! Steve alluded to a possible option...turn it into a "crashed" aircraft to add visual detail to the gaming area.

We use 1/72 models for "Blue Max" and I lost the landing gear to an accident. I ended up using a paper clip for the suspension, salvaged wheels and green stuff to repair one of my fighters. I figure your dealing with something a little smaller.
    If your dealing withpieces with no design I would say cut down a paperclip to size. Of course where I work had various sizes of clips to choose from. When its painted only you would know.

When I built my Reviresco Sopwith Triplane I made my own struts out of flat brass(it's like brass rod, I use .025 brass rod, only flat sided). You can see pictures on my Profile Page. You can get it at most hobby stores or model train stores.
    Last edited by gregbond77; 11-26-2010 at 15:57. Reason: add info

Thanks for all the tips guys! I have a lot of options now as I venture further into the 1/144th modeling chaos! Gotta Love The WoW Aerodrome!

Quote Originally Posted by gregbond77 View Post
    When I built my Reviresco Sopwith Triplane I made my own struts out of flat brass(it's like brass rod, I use .025 brass rod, only flat sided). You can see pictures on my Profile Page. You can get it at most hobby stores or model train stores.
    Fantastic Greg... Thanks! I will be headed to the closest Hobbyland tomorrow to find some and some plastic rod as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Bryan View Post
    Thats a cautionary tale for sure on a lot of counts...
    Yep... after all that I will be adding a UPS and a flashlight for the computer desk to my future shopping list!
    Last edited by The Cowman; 11-26-2010 at 18:56.
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"
    “You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.” Robin Williams

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowman View Post
    Fantastic Greg... Thanks! I will be headed to the closest Hobbyland tomorrow to find some and some plastic rod as well!
    That's what I was going to recommend. HobbyLand here in C-Bus has styrene rod in a ton of sizes. For $3-4 USD, you'll have enough to do replacement struts the rest of your life!

Good Luck on your repair effort!

Let me know if you have any trouble finding the right size. I'm not sure where Baltimore Ohio is, but if you can't make it into Columbus, I'd be happy to go scout our HobbyLand stores for you and mail it to you.

-Rob

EDIT- Holy Smokes, you're closer to the East Broad Street HobbyLand than I am! That's where Bill (the owner of the two HobbyLand stores) hangs out now. Make sure to say "Hi" to Bill when you're there!

So my wife, kids and I go over to my folks house here in Columbus on Turkey Day after I got off work, and my Dad and I are down in his basement looking at his recent builds, acquisitions and unbuilt models (all 1/72 scale), and he is showing me the 1/72 scale US WWII submarine he is finishing up, and comparing it to the WWII German U-Boat he already has.

On his 8' x 4' work table, he's got about 50-60 various 1/72 scale models of tanks, planes and ships. Most of them completed, some of them still in the process of being finished. It's like an old time Detroit automobile production line!

So we're looking at his unbuilt kits, and he has about 160+! He has more unbuilt 1/72 scale planes than Bill has in stock at either of his two HobbyLand stores in that scale! My Dad's collection in planes goes from the Wright Flyer to the most modern jets and helicopters. Mostly military, but he does have few civilian planes.

He was telling me that he was eyeing a WWII Japanese submarine next...amazing collection.

No horror story to report on my end, thank goodness! Only a lot of drooling on my part!
    Last edited by kaufschtick; 11-26-2010 at 20:14.

Very kewl Rob! I might have a few unfinished 1/72 kits he could add to his collection... I think I am sticking to the 1/144 stuff now... much easier to lug around!!

East Broad is where I hope to be tomorrow... I will be sure to tell Bill howdy from Rob!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Ken how did you tell us about your plight before you built your pc?

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Ummm...he used his Blackberry?

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Ummm...he used his Blackberry?
    Nope... no Blackberry... and my fingers are too big to use one of those anyhow..

I have a couple of old laptops sitting around that I can fall back on in an emergency... like Thursday's emergency...

East Broad is where I hope to be tomorrow... I will be sure to tell Bill howdy from Rob!
    OK so get this... I get my sister to take me over to Broad Street this evening so I can get the goods... we pull up around 7:00 PM... CLOSED!!!! Hours on Saturday 10-6.... DENIED!!!

Maybe I can get a ride into Lancaster to the train store tomorrow... assuming they are open... sigh....
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

I have a couple of old laptops sitting around that I can fall back on in an emergency... like Thursday's emergency...
    That's not a good idea to 'fall back' on them. You might hurt yourself and smash the laptops

I know how it feels to accidently destroy a plane. I once stepped on an F-Toys Albatros that I had waited for weeks to arrive from Japan. Gutted dosen't really cover it and the poor plane was obliterated almost beyond recognition.

Tony

How does that song go?..."If it weren't for BAD luck I'd have no luck at all. Doom Dispair and agony on Me

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    How does that song go?..."If it weren't for BAD luck I'd have no luck at all. Doom Dispair and agony on Me
    Wow... that brings back memories... as a kid my Mom and Dad used to make us watch "Hee Haw" every time it was on...

"I'm a pickin'.... and I'm a grinnin'..."
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Wow... that brings back memories... as a kid my Mom and Dad used to make us watch "Hee Haw" every time it was on...

"I'm a pickin'.... and I'm a grinnin'..."
    Isn't there a support group for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullduggery View Post
    Isn't there a support group for that?
    Tortured Offspring of Parents Who Are Hillfolk Anonymous?

TOPWAHA - 12 steps to "HeeHaw" Overdose Recovery....
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Tortured Offspring of Parents Who Are Hillfolk Anonymous?

TOPWAHA - 12 steps to "HeeHaw" Overdose Recovery....
    How can y'all say such a thing? It was the best (only) thing on all three channels at 6pm on Sunday night in them thar days! It had humor, mostly good lookin women folk, and they played both kinds of music...Country AND Western!

Having said that to be funny, I really did only watch the show for the jokes and the girls ( I was a teenager after all) as soon as someone other than Roy used to start playing or singing, I would get some exercise and walk over and turn the sound all the way down.

For those of you who have never had a T.V. that did not come with a remote, this was why we never had "Couch Potatoes" in the 60's and 70's. You had to actually touch the T.V. to turn it on or off, change the channel or sound level. Only some adults had a remote. It was which ever kid was in the room when you wanted to change the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie3 View Post
    How can y'all say such a thing? It was the best (only) thing on all three channels at 6pm on Sunday night in them thar days! It had humor, mostly good lookin women folk, and they played both kinds of music...Country AND Western!

Having said that to be funny, I really did only watch the show for the jokes and the girls ( I was a teenager after all) as soon as someone other than Roy used to start playing or singing, I would get some exercise and walk over and turn the sound all the way down.

For those of you who have never had a T.V. that did not come with a remote, this was why we never had "Couch Potatoes" in the 60's and 70's. You had to actually touch the T.V. to turn it on or off, change the channel or sound level. Only some adults had a remote. It was which ever kid was in the room when you wanted to change the channel.
    In truth it was not that bad.... I was just poking' some fun at my hillbilly parents... but I love that they they are from the hills, and I was raised pretty well.

...and WOW has this thread digressed!!! I love the Officer's Club! Oh crap!!! We are in the Hobby room!!!
    Ken Head - "The Cowman"

Similar Missions

1. Happy Thanksgiving
    By CappyTom in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-27-2010, 08:10
  2. Happy Thanksgiving USA!
    By MayorJim in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 01:00
  3. The Untold Story of the Battle of Britian
    By chub in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 12:46
  4. JV44 - great story for a motion picture!
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 06:03
  5. War Story
    By Volant Gun in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 23:27