Ares Games

Thread: In Clouds of Glory at Hamburger Tactica 2014 + Tactica pics

Default In Clouds of Glory at Hamburger Tactica 2014 + Tactica pics

Hi all

The In Clouds of Glory designers (Thomas and I) plus Christopher(LargoW)from Hannover TableTopTreff just used the full weekend to present and demo the game at the fantastic Hamburger Tactica Wargames show were we also attended last year.As usual the place was stuffed with great presentations. As Christopher is a native Germanese we had him run the games while we were in the way or fetched coffee. On saturday we got in an amazing amount of short games that demonstrated the rules and on day we relaxed and had a few games and had a lot of inquiries about the system and the new game boards. We also managed to sell a number of starter kits for the game so hopefully we will begin to see a number of game sets around Europe.

Here is some pics of the game and the new boards that is finally replacing our old (18 years old!)boards:

We also bought a bunch of France 44 micro armour stuff (Brits and Germans to use with the boards when we have found a suitable rulset:

Some general impressions:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic1939034_lg.jpg  

Excellent pics of the show.
    I really like your terrain for in clouds, plus the models look great.
    The only thing that is putting me off is the rods the aircraft are attached to.
    I understand they are necessarry but for me it takes the eye away from the models. I cannot say how to get round it, unless you could get clear plastic rods ? But I can really appreciate the models and terrain. Well done chaps

Some great pics of what looks like it was a great show

After having visited Crisis (Belgium) and Tactica in a relative short time i can say that Tactica is the most friendly, creative and fun Wargames show I have attended, with people being curious and playing a lot of games instead of just being there to buy stuff. The quality of the presentations is outstanding and the Bring and Buy is full of treasures. Bought a huge painted 6mm Micro Armour collection of Germans and Brits to play some Normandy 44 on the boards using the Mein Panzer rules.

That terrain you are playing on is probably the best I have seen. IS there a tutorial someplace where I can learn how you did it?

Hi Greenalfonzo..

Thomas who has made the terrain (and works as a professional set-designer and prop-maker) will make a full pic rich "how-to" on the boards. I will post a link here when it is done. I am ashamed to say i only has provided painted houses.

Short story:

The boards are cast in expanding PU foam (used for isolating windows) and are cast in a sand cast. The full set-up is modular and can be combined in many different ways as the roads and river exits and the side contours are the same from board to board.
    This can be seen here:

Next on the drawing board is 4 frontline boards, an aerodrome and a board with a Chateau that can be used along the aerodrome. Later a railyard, some coastline, a german seaplane station and some flat sea boards (the are quick to make using a rubbery glue to make the surface.

The process is replicable and also it is possible to use a boards as a plug that can be used to make a negative cast so a given board design can be multiplied.

Here is a pic of the cast:

Raw foam board on the right and sand cast on the right.

Here is the negative molded in casting sand:

Sides are mounted on this and a foam board (blue foam) is used as a bottom forming a hollow box where the board will be molded. Holes are made in the bottom board to let excess foam expand out. Then the PU foam are sprayed down the holes and it will then expand and fill the form while at the same time be compressed a bit, creating a rather firm board.

Trees are made from thick copper wire and clump foilage. Larger trees are made from 2-3 strands of copper wire soldered together.
    Houses are from shapeways, reproduced as resin casts. Water is a 2 component material called

Water is a 2 component clear casting resin (the boards still lacks some detailing on the riverbanks as well as in the waterline.)

I like your terrain immensely and the method employed in producing it Svend.
    How do you get the reflective surface on the rivers.
    I use clear casting acrylic, but it is becoming prohibitively expensive to do large expanses of water in it.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hi Rob. The shine om the water is just from clear-cast as it hardens. We will add some water ripple effects at the riverbanks at some spots as well as some rushes. I like that the water reflects the treetops but agreed: it is not cheap.

Thanks for the Info Svend. That's about the same way I do mine. Do you do your ripple effects with a hair dryer?
    Rob.

I'm interested in starter kit, could you give me some infos?

Warlock

Those are great pictures.

Thumbs up

Great pics & your terrain is just breath taking.

Kyte: I think we are using Vallejo Water effects. But i have not heard about the blowdryer approach? How does that work?

Warlock: Ill send you a PM with info.

- Svend

Svend.
    I'm not sure how it works with Vallejo, but with ordinary casting resin, we just waited until it was going off a bit and not flowing so freely. Then from about 12 inches away (300mm) just lightly blow cold air at about 30 degrees to the surface wafting from side to side. It should produce a gentle rippled effect on the surface.
    Rob.

Ok, thanks!.. Sounds like we should test that method to get a grip on it and see if it will look right in this small scale.

In a word WOW. Again to repeat the only crit mentioned clear rods would make it look utterly fantastic. Missed the cloud bit, perhaps I missed them in the pics?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    In a word WOW. Again to repeat the only crit mentioned clear rods would make it look utterly fantastic. Missed the cloud bit, perhaps I missed them in the pics?
    Neil my cloud reference was to the name of the game, "In clouds of Glory".
    Svend my comment was not meant in anyway a criticism, it's just a personal observation.
    I hope you game does really well

Hi Boney!

Thanks, didn´t think of it as criticism. This hobby is full of compromises.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Berel
    Sorties Flown

Breathtaking scenery, those boards must be a joy to play on!

Similar Missions

1. Major In Clouds of Glory rules release ready for download
    By GilmoreDK in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 13:09
  2. In Clouds of Glory double AAR - lots of pics..
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 14:20
  3. In Clouds of Glory 1.0 Rules and more available here...
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 10:35
  4. A New Game - In Clouds of Glory
    By Baxter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-06-2012, 12:20
  5. In Clouds of Glory - SE5a
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-04-2012, 12:31