Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War Promotional Aircraft

Default Wings of War Promotional Aircraft

In the search to collect all the WOW aircraft I was fortunate to be offered the Silver Albatros and Gold Spad Promotional aircraft.
    I could not miss the opportunity to own these so dug deep and shelled out my hard earned cash.
    My precious!

They come in Series One boxes with Udets Albatros's card and Baracca's Spad Card.

To those of you in the know.
    Where there any other Promo aircraft released?
    Like a Gold Albatros and Silver Spad.
    And before anyone asks No they are not for sale.
    I did see a silver Udet on ebay some time ago so some are is about happy hunting.
    Linz

I have 2 silvers both udet...

I didn't know these existed...

Shiny toy is shiny :P

Dave

Those were the only two. I've passed a couple of times on picking them up as the price was a little absurd for a straight gold or silver painted plane and a sticker on the bottom of the box

I guess it's the magpie in me must collect shiny things.
    I guess they round of my collection.
    Glad to hear that there are only the two now I know I have the lot.
    Cost double what we would pay for a scout so was happy at that.
    Linz

Ps thanks again Chris.
    Last edited by Linz; 04-29-2012 at 04:22.

Never seen one, or would probaly would have picked up.

You just need a can of gold and silver spray paint and your good! lol

Well you really blew my bubble. I thought I had everything Ares came out with for WW1. Now my collection will never be complete. Thanks alot!!!
    Just joking, good find, thanks for posting!!

The golden Spad is based on a genuine gold-plated Spad produced by the French in April 1918, as a bullet-proof and sunset and sunrise camouflaged plane. However new design did not get off the ground due to weight issues and proved too expensive in production.

Never knew these existed, thanks for posting.

Never knew about them!
    Thanks

Cangratulations on buying those models, Lindsay!

What a find and congradulations on getting them.

I didn't know they existed either. Nice find. And they would be perfect for doing repaints...just joking.

Mmmmm.... For 50 bucks each I can get you several of them... Without the box, I mean.

Err... I can even get you for a mere 100 bucks the ultra-special-ones: the Red camel and the shining two-seater of your choice!

Really!

I can do it!

Let me just fetch the magic wand spray!

HA HA HA Black. Can you make one in glitter with that magic spray wand?

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    The golden Spad is based on a genuine gold-plated Spad produced by the French in April 1918, as a bullet-proof and sunset and sunrise camouflaged plane. However new design did not get off the ground due to weight issues and proved too expensive in production.
    You should have posted this on April 1st.

Question

We never heard of those over here.
    Does anyone know when they were released?

Nexus made them up back in 2008/9 I think and gave them to people run events at Cons and such to help promote the game. Sadly, a lot of them were kept and come up for sale in stead from time to time.

Lucky for New Zealanders they were all given out at events! I was lucky enough to pick up 2 silvers so far. I know of someone with a set they may be persuaded to part with if anyone's interested. PM me and I'll put you in touch.

There should be three silver Albatros and one silver Camel for every golden SPAD XIII. All SPADs have Baracca cards and all Camels, Olieslagers, while each one third of Albatri should have a different card from Series I planes.

The first idea of a golden plane to be given as a prize belongs to Roberto RoG Gigli, a very talented miniature artist, who made it as the first prize for a WoW Tournament on May 25th, 2008, at the Stratagemma game shop in Florence, Italy. The tournament was called "Caccino d'Oro", or "Little Golden Fighter Plane". Roberto customized a Fokker Dr.I miniature, its card and its box.

Name:  pic340345_md.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  19.0 KB

Yuka Sato was the winner. She also got a gorgeous trophy.

http://www.stratagemmaonline.com/fot...o-wings-of-war

Name:  wow_finalisti.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  33.4 KB
    Name:  wow_trofeo_e_autore.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  49.4 KB

Roberto then made a golden SPAD XIII or the 2nd "Caccino d'Oro" tournament held at Firenze Gioca, a game con in Florence, on 09/13/2008.

Name:  pic372471_md.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  39.9 KB

Then Nexus Editrice made this limited edition of out of commerce golden and silver miniatures, just as tournament prizes. Baracca's SPAD is all gold, while Olieslager's Camel and the three D.Va of Udet, Jentsch and Weber are in silver. No changes to cards and boxes, but the sticker is different.

Name:  pic1480751_md.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  63.2 KB
    Name:  pic692359_md.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  104.3 KB
    Name:  pic692361_md.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  75.3 KB
    Name:  pic493638_md.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  22.1 KB
    Name:  pic493637_md.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  21.8 KB
    Last edited by Angiolillo; 10-31-2014 at 15:21.

So the only way to be sure of a genuine one is the sticker, apart from the first two, which also have special aeroplane cards.

True. Well, the first two are pieces of art - handmade, with cross & cockades. All others have been painted at the factory and they have a perfectly smooth and even coat of metal paint. I think that any miniature made by brush, spray can or airbrush could be somehow detected by a very careful eye.

I won a silver Albatross a couple of years ago in an event. Never took it out of the box, so it is mint.