Ares Games

Thread: The best Part of Valour (Marechallannes - Entente)

Default The best Part of Valour (Marechallannes - Entente)

Mission report: Recon patrol Arras region - November, 5 – 1917

We send a D.H.4 for a long range recon mission in the Arras region to get information about troop movements and enemy aerial activities. We assigned FO Bushmill as a replacement for the sick FO Harper. FO Sharpe acted as spotter and gunner.

To our surprise they spotted an older German Albatros D.III models near Arras and managed to shoot it on fire. The enemy plane broke off the attack. FO Bushmill received a harmless flesh wound in this figth.

Another old Albatros D.III model tried to interrupt the recon mission, but FO Sharpe was able to deal some critical hits to the German plane and shot it down.

Meanwhile a third Albatros attacked. Our pilots told us about his lousy shooting and flight abilities. The German wasn’t able to hit the D.H.4 with his attack. In exchange he became problems with is engine and his machine guns jammed after a head on duel with our men.

Because of his damaged engine, FO Bushmill reached a perfect shooting position on his tail, shot the Albatros on fire and the German crashed burning in the countryside.

As our recon plane reached Arras they spotted a white XXXX* with German crosses on the wings. The German pilot attacked immediately, but he didn't seemed much experienced too, because he nearly rammed our D.H.4, causing some damage to the wings of the recon plane.

At last, a lucky shot brought the white XXXX* down over Arras.

The AIRCO D.H.4 returned safe to our airfield without enemy contact.

Our recon mission was a success, because we gained valuable information about the strength and supply situation of the Luftstreitkräfte in the Arras region. Seems the Germans throw every plane they could get to the Western Front at the moment. We don’t know how much how long this situation will last. But the JASTAs in the Arras region aren’t that well trained and equipped like the Kaisers Eagles in our front sector.

Capt. T. Peabody
    No. 52 Squadron

*restricted information
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-15-2012 at 14:58. Reason: bad spelling

Well done. Good idea with the black and white photos.

Could you, please, add the results at the end of the AAR, please? And while editing it, could you, please, add the AAR prefix to the thread, please?

Thanks.

To fly a lone twoseater in a recon/combat air patrol wasn’t that much fun. Now I know, why Dave preferred the Bristol Fighter for this kind of mission (Immelmann!). I’am shure this was the first and last time I flew a lone twoseater personaly in a solo game.
    That’s the reason I crossed out the endless curve fight pictures, too.
    The best part of Valour started as unlucky as the last mission: One of my personal pilot was wounded again. Think I’ve got the “von Oppeln desease”. Fire and explosions were good friends in this scenario. My AIRCO D.H.4 managed to deal out more hits versus the solo attacking, slow enemy planes.

Result: Mission successful accomplished

Airco D.H.4 (9 damage points) FO Bushmill (wounded) 2 Kills, FO Sharpe 1 Kill – landed safe at aerodrome

First Albatros D.III (11 damage points) – escaped

Second Albatros D.III (14 damage points) – shot down

Third Albatros D.III (15 damage points) – shot down in flames (counted as aerial victory for FO Bushmill because he set the Abatros D.III on fire and gave him the final burst, additional to the fire damage)

Captured XXXX* – exploded

*restricted information

Joaquim, please determine the injury result for FO Bushmill and post it anytime here in the thread.

Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-15-2012 at 14:30.

An interesting digression from the norm Sven. I also liked youir use of B and W for your photo recon.
    Found it a bit hard to follow the plot, but will try again tomorrow when I am more awake.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Could you, please, add the results at the end of the AAR, please? And while editing it, could you, please, add the AAR prefix to the thread, please?
    Only 4 Minutes between the two standart posts of my AAR and you managed to post your standart sentence between them...

I used this prefix AAR.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Only 4 Minutes between the two standart posts of my AAR and you managed to post your standart sentence between them...

I used this prefix AAR.
    That's because the Illuminati are watching you closely.

Very nice B&W idea. I like the fact that the High Command chose not to disclosure the XXXX plane's name. I fear that I would like more photos of the combat, but what an excellent idea you had and very creative.

Thumbs up

Great AAR Sven & loved the B & W pics. Just seemed perfect for the Mission.
    Well done to the Crew of the DH-4. I am sure W/C Kyte will mention them in dispatches & maybe a 48 Hour Furlough in Paris will result.

Excellent AAR and (BW) pictures, Sven. I liked it a lot

Nicely done Sven, even if you found the DH4 boring at least your crew got 3 kills to their credit so well done for that ! B&W is a nice touch but I prefer full colour personally as that's how we see the world - perhaps start with an enigmatic B&W/sepia shot & then switch to colour like the movies sometime fade in to a story ?!

I can see a very nice captured Nieuport as your last enemy, Sven. Good luck in the contest

Thank, you Andrzej! It's a nice little Nie...

...can't say you anything about this plane.

Having had more time to study the action, I still like the B&W for impact but really needed more clues as to what exactly was going on. The second part with cards showing the final results is a great idea.
    Rob.