Ares Games

Thread: Doolittle Raid Reunion

Default Doolittle Raid Reunion

http://www.flyingmag.com/news/doolit...MTk3NTc4ODg2S0 :

"The five surviving crew slated to attend the reunion include Richard E. Cole, co-pilot of crew 1, Thomas Carson Griffin, navigator of crew 9, Robert L. Hite, co-pilot of crew 16, Edward Joseph Saylor, engineer of crew 15, and David J. Thatcher, engineer-gunner of crew 7."

How long until this becomes Recorded History.... :P

Well these guys are in their 80's/90's. Korean vets in their 70's and Viet Nam vets (I am one) in their 60's. Those after that are the young ones 20'/30's but I think more closley associated with the WWII vets. I did one tour in Nam and Korea had a rotation system. WWII vets were there for the duration and the new kids do many tours.

Still facinated by the raid.

Wait until the planes come out so we can fly them.

Brave men all, who literally launched into the unknown on a one-way mission.

interesting read thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Brave men all, who literally launched into the unknown on a one-way mission.
    Wellllllll... that "one-way" *was* supposed to have ended in China; that the acft. had to launch early bollixed that.

sad there is only five left,but their memory and accomplishments live on

There is a very long, detailed and picture rich article in Polish bimonthly Militaria of XX century magazine with photos of every crew in front of their planes, with Chinese soldiers and doctors and their later carreers. Amazing mission, brave men.
    Here is the cover:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Militaria47-okladka.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	41374

When you consider all that went wrong in the raid, it's amazing that so many of them made it back to friendly territory. That's a testiment to the Chinese people who suffered greatly in the Japanese reprisals afterward.

I was looking at the Reading Air show I am goint to in Jun e and there a 4 vets from the 509th Composite Group that will be there. That was the group that dropped the A bomb. When you see their photos you can see how old these guys are. There will also be two survivors of Pearl Harbor and three on the Malmady Massacre from the Battle of the Buldge.

Default Planes

Pic.zip

Hope this is the right one. A line up of the 21 B-25's for the reunion. Enjoy.

these guys had the biggest brass ones launching from a carrier (never done before) flying into god only knows what my hat is off to them