Ares Games

Thread: Mission Four - The Best Part of Valour

Exclamation Mission Four - The Best Part of Valour

Scenario Four: The Best Part of Valour - November, 5 - 1917

0. Presentation:
    The growing number of air combats and planes in the skies means that those planes already considered obsolete are pressed into combat to keep up with the level of losses suffered on both sides. Even with new models pouring out from the aeroplane factories, there aren't enough of them to cover all the needs. Older models are pressed back into service and they are pitched hard against new ones. And November brings fog, showers and heavy clouds. This lack on visibility is sometimes a death sentence to new and inexperienced pilots. Or not...

1. Who is the Attacker?
    Both squadrons.

1.1. Your flight consists of...
    You.

1.2. Attacker's Mission assignment:
    Take down as many planes as you can without going down.

1.3. Enemy planes:
    Enemy flight consists of 1 single seater fighter of inferior class (older model) at the time. As soon as one plane is shot down or leaves play, another one enters play randomly as explained below.

2. Who is the Defender?
    One older model plane at the time. If you don't have an older model to play as the enemy, use any enemy model that you have and use it with only one machine-gun. (Use a B deck).

3. Playing Area Set-up:
    The table will have six counters placed in its edges. Four at each corner and two between corners in the longest edges. They must be numbered 1 to 6. When an enemy plane enters, it will be rolled 1D6 and it is from that counter that the plane will enter the game.
    The player starts in the middle of the table, with any facing he chooses.

4. Special Rules:
    The enemy planes will fight normally until they reach 3 or less hit points, are wounded or receive an engine's damage. The next turn after this, they'll try to escape.

5. Winning Conditions:

The player will only win if he can, at least, take down one enemy plane and leave the playing area still flying. Even if he gets several kills, if he is shot down, he looses. Knowing when to retreat is, of course, the Best Part of Valour.

Final notes:
    Normally this Mission would only be uploaded Sunday, but as we are out of synchronism with our weekly resolutions, because of Paul's Let's Party! weekend and Jan studies, I've already uploaded it.
    All adversaries must be unknown pilots. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't name them, but they aren't from our respective aerodromes.
    Let's have fun.

Are we supposed to fly a scout or a two-seater?

Jan, that was my firts thought, too.

This seems to be a good mission for a lone Twoseater!

Don't forget the Nieuports, dear Eagles.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-12-2012 at 00:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    Jan, that was my firts thought, too.

This seems to be a good mission for a lone Twoseater!

Don't forget the Nieuports, dear Eagles.
    Aye, I think I am going to send a two-seater then.

I have 4 Nieports, however, three of them are in Italian colours and one is a flying fish (still with Russian cockades).

An interesting little scenario. As these pilots are not part of the main campaign is there any reason why they may not be from another sector? France, Austria, or Italy for instance.
    Rob.

Looks like fun - I only have two early birds, well one that fits the bill really - a Halberstadt D.II (though arguably it could be a D.III for these purposes) but as it gets replaced when shot down I will cycle it through. The other is an Albatros D.II which is nearly as good as a D.III in game terms so I could strip it of a gun as suggested & throw it in the mix.
    I may put up a two seater as well but might also let Stan borrow another bird while his is being repaired & try to get himself a kill !
    I will tweak the random arrival by using a D12 & having the opponent arrive at the relevant o'clock to my pilots bird just 'cos that's what I normally do - it should make no difference to the scenario.

Hmmm, good idea, Rob, maybe I could create it as a flashback of memories from the Italian front? Maybe a bad dream?

One more question springs to mind. What arms is our own plane allowed to carry. I have a nice two gun Nieuport just waiting for an outing.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    ... I have a nice two gun Nieuport just waiting for an outing.

You mean an "A+B" firing Nieuport?
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-12-2012 at 06:34.

Final notes:
    Normally this Mission would only be uploaded Sunday, but as we are out of synchronism with our weekly resolutions, because of Paul's Let's Party! weekend and Jan studies, I've already uploaded it.
    Much appreciated Quim my friend
    The missions are definatly hotting up. best make good use of the R&R
    Paul

You mean an "A+B" firing Nieuport?
    No Sven. A guns. One Vickers and one Lewis. Remember I usually fly Albert Ball with just one Lewis B gun, so this will be an upgrade for me.
    Rob.

I've got a kind of an idea...

A twoseater pilot with diarrohea, a necessary long range patrol, a young FO that was assigned as a replacement for this mission and a pissed off gunner.

All ingredients for a good story.
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-12-2012 at 06:50.

Sven - this would be a kind of survival or "horde" scenario

We will play with our planes of choice.

2 seater is an interesting option. I'll consider using one. I wonder if von Lisbon would choose a pilot's or gunner's seat this time...

Hmmm, I actually have 5 Nieuports, not 4.

3x Nieuport 17 (all Italian)
    1x Nieuport 23 (Russian flying fish)
    1x Nieuport 16 (French from Balloon Busters, with rockets)

Pity the series 5 miniatures are not out already. They would fit this mission perfectly.

I am tempted to run a Nieuport 16 gauntlet in an Albatros D.III or a Roland C.II.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
    Hmmm, I actually have 5 Nieuports, not 4.3x Nieuport 17 (all Italian)1x Nieuport 23 (Russian flying fish)1x Nieuport 16 (French from Balloon Busters, with rockets) Pity the series 5 miniatures are not out already. They would fit this mission perfectly.I am tempted to run a Nieuport 16 gauntlet in an Albatros D.III or a Roland C.II.
    This would be very cool, Jan. I see a Nieuport 16 firing it's rockets toward a Roland!

Pity the series 5 miniatures are not out already. They would fit this mission perfectly.
    Hunting Eindeckers or AIRCO DH.2s in November 1971?

I mean 1917...
    Last edited by Marechallannes; 04-13-2012 at 00:53. Reason: wrong data

Typo, Sven, Typo! 1971 - the year of F4 Phantom. What a great "what if" scenario!

I am in the middle of the game, so far my Roland has downed four enemies (2x Nieuport 16, 2x Nieuport 17) and driven two away (2x Nieuport 17), seventh is about to appear to try to finish my wounded bird that is now on fire and dashing for its side. At this very climatic moment my mobile phone's battery decided to demand recharging and the cable is not long enough to allow me to take pictures of the game board...

I am going to buy something to eat, have a lunch and then I shall return to the fray.

I am in the middle of the game, so far my Roland has downed four enemies (2x Nieuport 16, 2x Nieuport 17) and driven two away (2x Nieuport 17), seventh is about to appear to try to finish my wounded bird that is now on fire and dashing for its side. At this very climatic moment my mobile phone's battery decided to demand recharging and the cable is not long enough to allow me to take pictures of the game board... I am going to buy something to eat, have a lunch and then I shall return to the fray.
    ! I'm in the middle as well! Had to stop about 3:00 am tonight and went to sleep. Results so far: I'm flying a pinky Roland with von Lisbon as a rear gunner. He has downed 2 Nieuports! I got only 3 damage points. RELOADING...To be continued...

Ok, so you are decimating our French allies...

Ok, so you are decimating our French allies...
    Indeed. I am still flying, with 4 damage points remaining. So far I have 7 kills and I have driven away 4 enemies. Hopefully, I can take 1-2 more enemies before I decide to call it a day. Yes, I am risking, but unless my characters die, I should be able to achieve ace status for 2 at once!

And so far I have taken 151 photos...

OK, done. I managed to limp back to the aerodrome, with 8 kills, 4 driven away (and 174 photos taken). It took me almost the whole day.

I have ended up as well! AAR will follow soon.

I just have to think about the number of photos I took. I hope the album will be able to hold them all.

I am going to write the AAR, but it is going to take me a while. The game saw 13 enemies going after me and it lasted like 45-50 turns maybe? Phew...

So... after the last AAR of Paul I must say the Eagles prevailed sending Bulldogs' allies to oblivion in a blaze of glory

Watchout here come the puns (or the Huns)
    Do not expect any fireworks from the Bulldogs we are all good guys
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night