Ares Games

Thread: Albatros c1 prototype designed by Batesyboy

Default Albatros c1 prototype designed by Batesyboy

Back in December, our own Batesyboy sent me a sneak preview of an Albatros c1 prototype.
    The design is beautiful but takes up a whole sheet of card stock with one 1/144 scale model.
    I like to put at least four 1/144 scale models on one one sheet of card stock.

Consequently, I put the image in Gimp and eliminated the unnecessary parts in an attempt to put four models on one sheet of cardstock.
    I did not manage to print four on one sheet but I did manage to print two on one sheet.

]

Lee intended for the two lower wings to be attached to the fuselage by butt joints.
    However, I cut out a piece of the bottom fuselage and put it between the wings in the above image for a stronger build.

Lee may not be pleased that I mutilated his model.
    Good thing that there is an ocean between us.

This thread will be continued as I build the prototype.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gimpcrop.jpg   preview.jpg  
    Last edited by Zakopious; 04-15-2012 at 09:41.

I also love it! I... want... it... precious...

And Ken, I think that Lee will be proud and not angry with you. You are honouring him and his skills.

You are both deserving major congrats!

In mid-January, I thought that I was going to have enough time to build the model and looked for a card.

There was no card, so I asked Max Headroom to make a card.
    He informed me that he had a card made but did not have the stats for the Albatros c1.

Thus, I requested stats from Zoe.
    What followed was incredible.
    From the time of my initial request to the time that the finished card (with stats) was posted was just under 5 hours.
    Max Headroom and Zoe showed amazing efficiency in producing this card on request in such short time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AlbCI.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	39794

Unfortunately, medical problems in my family caused my modeling time to evaporate and I was unable to build the model at that time.

We´re still here waiting.

(Stands up from his chair, goes for a sandwich and lemonade, returns and sits back on the chair.)

Had to put Mom in the hospital on Monday due to pneumonia.
    The doctor who evaluated Mom for dementia in the hospital advised me that it is now advanced and to the point where it is too much for me to take care of her at home.
    Consequently, Mom will be transferred to a nursing home when she is released from the hospital.
    My Wife will return to the hospital on April 16th to have her knee surgery finished.
    My modeling time is limited because I am running between hospital and nursing home but I still have more time than I had when I was taking care of Mom 24/7.
    I hope to be able to post some progress on this thread every two to three days.

Ken, I'm very sorry for your current situation. Keep my fingers for you. Hold on, man.

Very nice Alb there...just started back up work on one of Batesyboy's Be2cs. Take care of the family, Ken, we'll see this one when you're ready.

Doug

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Sweet!!!! I love it!
    Clipper
    Are you going to build some?

Indeed, as I type I am also down loading my IRS forms and cutting out the parts for this delightful model! If the taxes don't work out I will fly off into the sunrise and join the German Air Corps!

Clipper multi tasking

Chin up ken,all the best too you and yours.

sorry to hear that KEN stay strong

maybe this will help you feel better . . .

new line of get weller cards from Clipper

It looks great!

Hope that mine will look as good when I finish them.

I finally get some free time and cut out parts for two planes.

Name:	Parts042412.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	42549
    The grey strips on the right will be inserted inside the wings to give them an airfoil shape.
    I do this only because there is a black airfoil shape on the side of the fuselage.

Ken

The fuselages were edge glued with Aleene's original Tacky Glue.
    Finally, I find the glue that works for edge gluing.
    Elmer's is too thin, and others have not worked well for me.
    Elmer's works fine for gluing flat surfaces such as wings.
    The UHU all purpose glue works well for thin struts and the plastic Fiddler's Green prop disks.

Name:	3ss.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	164.4 KB 
ID:	44066
    The model on the left has a cardboard strip inside the wing to give it an airfoil shape.
    The model on the right does not.
    The wing with the strip is stronger but the difference in appearance is so slight that it will not be noticeable on the gaming table.
    The struts are laminated on 110 lb cardstock with UHU because it is water resistant.
    Thus, I will be able to touch up the struts with water based paint and they will not de-laminate.

Here I must echo Clipper1801's comment about the nose.
    As you can see, the upper part of the nose just does not fit well against the engine.

Name:	crop-6cs.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	44069
    Clipper 1801 avoided a mistake which I made.
    The upper fuselage should be rounded not flat.
    If I had rounded the fuselage, the engine would not stick out of the nose so far.
    If I ever build this plane again, I might cut off some of the bottom of the engine so that it does not stick out so far.

One of the problems that I have when building cardmodels is that I am too methodical.
    First, I score the fold lines.
    Then, I cutout and fold the parts.
    Then, I start gluing parts.
    The problem is that most of the gluing is done on the fuselage and I must wait for a part of the fuselage to dry before I can glue another part.

I need to try scoring,folding, cutting and gluing the fuselage first.
    Then, while I am waiting for glue to dry on the fuselage, I can score, cut, fold and glue other parts.
    This procedure should speed up my build times.

Looking good! The madness continues! Keep clippin! Clipper

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Had to put Mom in the hospital on Monday due to pneumonia.
    The doctor who evaluated Mom for dementia in the hospital advised me that it is now advanced and to the point where it is too much for me to take care of her at home.
    Consequently, Mom will be transferred to a nursing home when she is released from the hospital.
    *Hugs*

Both my in-laws are in hospital now with pneumonia. Hartley(94) has only one arm and various other injuries from WWII. Iris(90) is still recovering from the strokes she had in January. They live next door, so we're the primary care-givers.

I model when I need to de-stress. It's good therapy. Try to be a little easy on yourself, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    *Hugs*

Both my in-laws are in hospital now with pneumonia. Hartley(94) has only one arm and various other injuries from WWII. Iris(90) is still recovering from the strokes she had in January. They live next door, so we're the primary care-givers.

I model when I need to de-stress. It's good therapy. Try to be a little easy on yourself, OK?
    Zoe,
    Thank you for the sympathy and advice.
    We had mom living with us for three and a half years.
    I needed to have a doctor tell me that it was getting to be too much for me and that I needed to put Mom in a home.
    Still, it is hard to let her go.
    Good luck with your in-laws.
    Ken

Here is a picture of the models from the front which shows the wing struts.

Name:	css9.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	44505
    The struts were 1.0 cm long but seem to be too short because the wings were distorted.
    The model on the left shows less distortion because it has strips of cardboard in the lower wings to make an airfoil shape.
    Two different scale drawings were used to check the strut length.
    One indicated that strut length should be 1.0 cm but the other indicated that the strut length should be 1.1 cm.
    If I build this plane again, I might even use 1.2 cm struts.
    Scale drawings show the top of the engine lower than the upper wing.
    I should have trimmed the bottom of the engine block before it was glued into the nose.

Hi folks,
    sorry i haven`t been around for a while...
    But having caught up with the pre-prototype builds, i have to say that the drawings were far from complete, i haven`t even got around to a test build
    myself !
    I have wandered back to the flying model versions of my models, and this has taken up a lot of my time.
    Once the latest model is complete (13 inch span sopwith triplane) i`ll do a test build of the Albatros C and post my results.
    Cheers
    Batesyboy

Default another sneak preview

Hi there, here`s the `tripehound` so far....and the paper model test build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails peanut tripe and compy.jpg   DSCF1771.jpg  

The undercarriage has been installed on both models.

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	45342
    White areas on the wing struts were touched up with an acrylic paint called parasite brown.
    The axle on the undercarriage is a dried grass stem cut at 1.1 cm.
    The plastic prop disk was glued to a pin using UHU glue.
    Construction problems in the nose area will be somewhat hidden by the prop disk.

When I touch up the tires on the undercarriage, I will not use black because carbon was not a common additive in rubber tires during WW I.
    This picture shows an Albatross BII with tires which are not black.

Name:	158_Albatros.BII.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	137.3 KB 
ID:	45380

This shows the Albatros c1 cards and bases in Open Office Draw.
    Open office Draw allows me to print the back on the plane card + 1mm alignment.

Name:	OODrawScreen2.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	45646

Here at last is the end product.
    Two Albatros C1's ready to join the Central Powers air arm.
    The base cards are printed on 67 Lb card stock and glued to thin corrugated cardboard from a cereal box.
    Round tooth picks were cut at 5 cm and pushed through the corrugated cardboard to make bases and supports for the planes.
    Altitude will be indicated with counters.

Name:	colorsharp2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	45647

Very nice indeed! This bird has a charm of its own, especially in these colors. I plan a making a few more in the future. The wing strut problem is created by the new location of the lower wing. By placing the wing on the bottom of the fuselage instead of in the grey airfoil shaped zone on the side of the fuselage the wing struts need to be longer. I also trimmed 1/32" off the bottom of the engine unit before I glued it in place. And now your secret technique of soaking card stock in thin CA is know I have been using it on everything! It makes for great single piece 4 blade props, (check out the Kangaroo props on my other thread). I might even try paper struts now . . . thanks for the tips and all your efforts! Clipper

David,

Thank you for explaining to me why my struts were too short.

Now it seems obvious, but I often need to have the obvious explained to me.

Ken

Default favourite hun (albatros c1)

My initial inspiration for this model was the dvd box set of `wings`, I think there`s a few clips on youtube.
    I had the benefit of `Zak` and `Clipper`s` preprototype builds, so i had warnings of a few glitches in the original drawings,
    Well here`s my first go, sorry the pic`s are a bit out of focus.

When i get round to building a larger free-flight model, i will correct and faults and repost the updates.
    Cheers
    Batesyboy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails favourite hun 2.jpg   favourite hun 1.jpg  

Lee,
    Your model looks better than mine.

Did you make the wings with an airfoil shape ?
    If so, how ?

Did you make the wing struts longer ?

Thank you for the model.
    You sure know how to show a paper modeler a good time.

Ken

Default more albatros pic`s

Hi there,
    `Zak`,
    The wings are gently rolled around a suitable sized dowel while the glue is still wet.
    I`m not sure if the wing struts are longer than on the original drawings. i know that i cut
    down the length of the cabane (wing to fuselage) trestle type strut arrangement.
    there is extra engine `plumbing` and a new exhaust stack fitted.. i still need to redraw the nose
    Cheers
    Lee
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails favourite hun 6.jpg   favourite hun 5.jpg   favourite hun 4.jpg   favourite hun 3.jpg  

Lee,

Thank you for the reply.

Clipper explained to me why my struts seemed to be too short (because I placed the bottom wing at the bottom of the fuselage).
    I assume that you glued your bottom wing on the airfoil silhouette.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
    Lee,

Thank you for the reply.

Clipper explained to me why my struts seemed to be too short (because I placed the bottom wing at the bottom of the fuselage).
    I assume that you glued your bottom wing on the airfoil silhouette.

Ken
    Ken,
    The bottom wing was butt joined to the airfoil silhouette (as you suggest)
    I think that my photo`s don`t really do the finished bus justice...i`ll have to get a better camera !
    Cheers
    Lee

chicharrero

Excellent model, friend.

I'd been looking for a C.I model, & this is the only one I'd managed to find. I'm going to be giving it a go very soon.

Go for it, with a few adjustments above it will be sweet model!

Need to make a few more . . .