Ares Games

Thread: XA & I movement deck & 7,62mm damage token questions

Default XA & I movement deck & 7,62mm damage token questions

As I just finished an C-47 Skytrain and a LI-2 I'm starting to look for making the custom cards. I've already checked MAX HEADROOM his album and found a card for the C-47 stating the XA Movement deck. What I found strange is that the JU52 which is a slower aircraft can use the I* deck. Does the * mean I can only use slow speed? Is the XA deck not better then for the JU52 as well. In the topic of rain of destruction I saw that on the scans of some card the XA deck was also used. Does that mean the XA-deck of MAX HEADROOM is an official deck?

What damage token should be taken for a 7.62mm gun? The LI-2 has four of them. What do I do with overlapping firing ranges? Is it so that each gun position can only chose one target (like a fighter has to do) but 2 positions can fire at the same target.

In a game I recently ran, I declared a "house rule" that the He 111s that I had using the I maneuver decks could only move at slow speeds. When I looked at the large base size of the He 111 I was using (courtesy of richard m schwab), moving at fast speeds seemed too close to the speed of the Me 109s which used the B maneuver deck but had a smaller base size.

I think limiting the your large planes to only slow movements is perfectly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomatchef View Post
    As I just finished an C-47 Skytrain and a LI-2 I'm starting to look for making the custom cards. I've already checked MAX HEADROOM his album and found a card for the C-47 stating the XA Movement deck. What I found strange is that the JU52 which is a slower aircraft can use the I* deck. Does the * mean I can only use slow speed? Is the XA deck not better then for the JU52 as well. In the topic of rain of destruction I saw that on the scans of some card the XA deck was also used. Does that mean the XA-deck of MAX HEADROOM is an official deck?

What damage token should be taken for a 7.62mm gun? The LI-2 has four of them. What do I do with overlapping firing ranges? Is it so that each gun position can only chose one target (like a fighter has to do) but 2 positions can fire at the same target.
    Thomas,

I have been using the I* = slow only & no dive bombing for a couple of years for a loaded bomber, however given the maximum speed for a Henkel He-111H is 405km/h which is actually higher than that of the Ju-87B (390km/h) I allow them to use the fast speeds after bombs have been dropped or jettisoned. That was before the XA cards were produced.

Regarding the armament, for the purposes of WGS 1 or 2 machine guns of 7.5mm to 7.92mm firing together from one firing point, wings or turrets, are considered A damage. I would therefore say that it would be one A damage from each different firing point.

Cheers,

Carl.

Thomas!

Max also has two IL-2 cards in his fighter flies! I also use the I deck for for most bombers without the steep cards!

Rich

i

Hello richard,

Its the LI-2 and not the IL-2 i'am talking about. The LI-2 is the russian version of the C-47. It only has more guns on board than the C-47 which makes it an interesting target.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...ransport-plane

Thomas!

Now i am up to speed! Send MAX a PM he might be able to make you one! He already has his great C-47 cards!!

Rich

The I* deck meant originally that the immelmann is removed, but the movement on the custom cards is a bit hit-and-miss. The XA is copied directly from the WWI Giants deck and I havn't bothered to adjust any of the custom cards after playtesting till the RoD expansion is released and I'll have something better to work on.
    You'll notice that a Superfortress with XA movement goes faster than a Spitfire! Really needs to be re-examined later.
    I'll look into your IL-2 and get one underway... Should be easy if it's only a re-edit of the C-47.
    UPDATE
    Easy edit... If you don't like the color, lemme know:
    Last edited by Max Headroom; 04-09-2012 at 18:21.

I was planning on sending you a PM but luckily I checked back here first. Somehow I didn't get any notification of new posts in this topic.
    That's definitely a nice one! Would you want to make one with an overall green airplane? Mine is painted that way and so it's easier for fellow players to recognize them. Also for the gun mounted in the nose I thought about make the angle a lot more narrow. Since the gun is fixed and was rarely used because it was difficult to do so. So narrowing the angle could reflect that I guess. In the tail section are also two guns mounted so some extra firing angels are needed as well. It kind of like the card you have for the JU52.

Already a lot of thanks in advance!!

Thomas,
    I agree that the front gun angle should be reduced and that the side guns added to show their arcs and lastly I would of thought that the turret would be able to fire through 360 degrees for targets at the same height or above (the card shows no forward firing at all!).

Good point about the turret.
    I see it a little bit different. This way the airplane is covered 360°. That way the enemy has no chance of using a blind spot to attack. I would keep this firing angle of the turret to give the enemy that blind spot and to simulate that a turret does not turn super fast.

And MAX HEADROOM made a new card...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lisunov LI-2.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	41843

All that is left is a testflight with model and card

That looks great and the firing arcs are now a good representation.

Nice plane card, Max.

I used your Junkers 52 cards for my flight of transport planes.

I'll report as soon as possible.

I made a custom base yesterday for my LI-2 based on MAX his card. I also made some for the Ju52 and my C-47.
    Looking forward to play test it.

Name:	DSC04326.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	45212 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04330.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	45213

Thomas!

They look nice! Both plane and base!

Rich

Thomas what paint colours did you use for your LI-2, nice model and paint job as well

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Thomas what paint colours did you use for your LI-2, nice model and paint job as well
    mmm good question. I would like to give you the answer but looking trough my paints I cannot find one that I remember to have used for it. It's been a while since I painted this one and I think I made a custom mix to make a color similar to this picture.

Name:	27-3.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	52889

I'm guessing now but I think I used a mix of khaki and olive green or olive drab. I'm not sure at all and I wish I wrote it down so I could have helped you.
    For the sand color I'm 100% sure I used tamiya dark yellow XF-60.

Thanks for that Thomas, your pictures and Max's cards will help fill in the gaps for me

No problem. Great I could help. Looking forward on seeing yours finished...

ThreeDingBats

DO any of you know if anyone has made WGS movement cards from A-XA.
    I have downloaded, printed and laminated many custom plane card but have no movement cards for them.
    Can I use WGF movement cards?

Thanks

Ean - The Boy from Oz