Ares Games
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Rain of Destruction

A bit like those big red, white or black numbers painted on the sides of tank turrets which identified exactly in the command structure the vehicle sat. At least in the case of pennants you'd need to be bloody close to be able to tell the difference between a command pennant and a regular tank pennant, and they did serve a vital purpose in a primitive "IFF" sense

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    A bit like those big red, white or black numbers painted on the sides of tank turrets which identified exactly in the command structure the vehicle sat. At least in the case of pennants you'd need to be bloody close to be able to tell the difference between a command pennant and a regular tank pennant, and they did serve a vital purpose in a primitive "IFF" sense
    This is partly why WW2 US acft. had ID symbols which *didn't* exactly correspond to any known rank -- at most, some sort of shape on the tail to indicate which squadron, plus the ID lettering. (I recall seeing inter-war biplanes with different numbers of stripes between the upper-wing stars -- one for ordinary acft.; two for flight leaders; three for the squadron commander.)

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    A bit like those big red, white or black numbers painted on the sides of tank turrets which identified exactly in the command structure the vehicle sat. At least in the case of pennants you'd need to be bloody close to be able to tell the difference between a command pennant and a regular tank pennant...
    I know what you want to say - but there was a small pretty difference:

As a matter of fact, the spotters of Acht-Acht batterys had very good optical instruments to determine distance and type of a target.

...and there was nothing to compete with the firepower and range of Acht-Acht's in the desert war.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I have that photo in a book and thought it would be good to show. As someone said the angle makes it look like one big stripe. And as I stated before it is a 70 year old photo.

Thumbs up

Sven!

Early in the war it probably made sense, you know where the boss is flying if his tail is painted like that! It dose have that certain aim here quality about it! There also are the wing markings! If the plates are a accurate some of dividing lines are narrow!

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2_32.jpg   2_31.jpg  

Users Country Flag

Name
    Fredrik
    Sorties Flown

PanzerRanger wrote:
    Are there any plans to release Wings of War: Rain of Destruction?

Best Regards
    Fredrik Karlsson
    Orebro, Sweden

Hello!

Not in that form, but the miniatures for B-25 and He.111 are ready for production and some special packs with them are due this year.

All the best!

Andrea

Fredrik!

An interesting post! When did Andrea send you that?

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Fredrik
    Sorties Flown

Wedsday so hopefully thay are not to far away

Fredrik!

I do 144 scale which makes this news a great disappointment to me!! I have 50 WW2 bombers waiting for some official rules! I was prepared to buy the boxed set with multiple plane cards. Not one plane at a time!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Fredrik
    Sorties Flown

Well they do take their time making the aircraft thats for sure.... But for me its okey, since I have“nt tried out the bombing scenarios yet aldo Im very excited and Ill probably will buy a few bombers. Need more fighters to

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    ...and there was nothing to compete with the firepower and range of Acht-Acht's in the desert war.:serious:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmford/6861134547/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Beaufighter252sqn.jpg

The Allies had stuff to match the 88 -- it's just that most of it flew. :)

(This is one of the reason I rarely play WW2 armor games -- without the "air-tillery", the Allied player has zero chance of success.)

Quote Originally Posted by PanzerRanger View Post
    Well they do take their time making the aircraft thats for sure.... But for me its okey, since I have“nt tried out the bombing scenarios yet aldo Im very excited and Ill probably will buy a few bombers. Need more fighters to
    I think it's more important to get first the rules for Rain of Destruction and official cards for the planes than those WW II bombers.
    Voilą le soleil d'Austerlitz!

I think Ares is shifting the alignment of Wings of Glory to be a miniatures game first, and a card game second (a sound business strategy). That means we can expect new rules like these to come out when the minis are ready as well. After all, we can't play with the minis if we don't have any rules for them.

They could do a release like the Balloon Busters sets. Were each bomber comes with a set of rules, but with the number of different bombers we are looking at getting, I don't think that is a very viable way to go.

Didn't the last press release or posting from Ares at the Nuremberg show suggest that the bombers were not now coming with rules included? Or was that an oddity of Google translation?

http://gioconomicon.net/modules.php?...ticle&sid=6134

I had not seen that yet. As it says, the bombers will not have the rules in them, which is what I was thinking, and that the rules for them will be in the WWII version of the Rules and Accessories Pack (which I bet will come out around the same time as the bomber minis).

Users Country Flag

Name
    Fredrik
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post

I think it's more important to get first the rules for Rain of Destruction and official cards for the planes than those WW II bombers.
    Agreed =)

I think I'm getting my WW1 and WW2 sets confused

Thanks for the post Raichard. Stripes are close to each other so explains why they look like one big one.

Bob!

At the right angle and light it would appear a solid block!

Rich

Still hoping on some rain...

Now WWI bombers are released they must give WWII fanatics their stuff

It's so cool for me that this new box are to be for the early perdiod of war, as it was in case of Dawn of Warl War II. Therefore there will be no 4-engine bombers as many of you wish. I really like this Beaufighter on the box. Can't wait!

Looking forward to all this new stuff, it has been a long time comming

The two engine (medium) bombers are perfect for WoG gaming.

I want to see Beaufighters, Messerschmitts 110 and IL 2 Sturmoviks, too.

Maybe in addition a Messerschmitt 109 G (desert and eastern front camouflage)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345