Ares Games
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rain of Destruction

As an old Grognard wargamer I never hold my breath ......lest I pass out!

The prototypes look great! Will be a nice compliment to the fighters...whenever ;-)

Smile WWII: Rain of Destruction

Jim!

I am just waiting for the box, 1:144 planes i have in abundance. If patience i a virtue, i am very virtues!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Marts
    Sorties Flown

There IS a beaufighter in one of the pics next to the ME 110. What are those metal ones, early prototypes?

Looking at the second of Col. Hajj's photographs at the top of this thread, the other aircraft in the photograph with the Me110 is a Bristol Beaufighter. That is great! It looks like an early version because there is no rear firing machine gun, so no torpedo bombing yet.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/6297...-pilots-please

Well, taking a wild stab in the dark it looks like BR.20, Do17E, Ki-45 are a jolly good bet.

Havn't managed to find out about 2nd Sqdn RAAF.

The Finnish one could be anything, according to Wiki they had 1 Do17 but they were largely Blenheim....

Interesting

Dave!

That was my first thought yesterday, when i saw his post!

Rich

I love this sort of thing, I learn so much by rooting around

2 Sqdrn flew Ansons ('37), Hudsons ('41), Beaufort ('43) and then Mitchells ('44), good stuff!

The Anson saw little use afaics and was largely deployed as a trainer which edges us in the direction of the Hudson which saw plenty of widespread use as did the Beaufort.

The beaufort is related to the Beaufighter which we know is in, the propects of them having the same handling and therefore the same deck pushes me in that direction.

Speculation is fun.
    Last edited by Stormkahn; 03-14-2011 at 08:36.

Willy-dean

Default OOOOO!!!

p-61!!! p-61!!! oooo !!! Oh and by the way I vote for a P-61 Black Widow!!!

The Avro Anson was used at the start of WW2 by RAF Coastal Command to carry out anti-U-boat patrols over the North Sea. They could carry a couple of depth charges.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    The Avro Anson was used at the start of WW2 by RAF Coastal Command to carry out anti-U-boat patrols over the North Sea. They could carry a couple of depth charges.
    Here's a clip of two of them landing together.

Tom

My hunch is that RoD doesn't include shipping rules so I'm expecting not to see a/c that filled that role heavily. They also like a/c that served in plenty of different theatres and with different forces.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Here's a clip of two of them landing together.

Tom
    Crazy, love it!

William,

Welcome to the aerodrome...don't forget to post a note in the "reporting for duty" section...all the best...

Beldavi

I'm hoping for the types that fought the Battle of Britain and the Savoia-Marchetti SM.79. The US medium bombers (B-25, B-26) would be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Beldavi View Post
    I'm hoping for the types that fought the Battle of Britain and the Savoia-Marchetti SM.79. The US medium bombers (B-25, B-26) would be cool too.
    Welcome aboard Beldavi, please check out the reporting for duty thread, great to have you

The list so looks like;

He111
    Bristol Beaufighter
    Bf110
    BR.20
    Do17E
    Ki-45
    B25 Mitchell

Most sets thus far have had ~8 aircraft in them, there may be others but it's starting to look unlikely. I'd love the SM.79 to be included too.

cheers,

Dave.

Beldavi

I notice the boxed sets have roughly equal number of allied and axis types. My guess is that there is two more allied types in Rain of Destruction. The Blenheim seems likely to be one of those two.

It is amazing that the pilot was able to land those two Avro Ansons.

Tutur

Before July?!

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Tutur View Post
    Before July?!

thank you
    /pssst

Nobody said anything about year mate....

Quote Originally Posted by Willy-dean View Post
    p-61!!! p-61!!! oooo !!! Oh and by the way I vote for a P-61 Black Widow!!!
    Don't get your hopes up too hard--the one in my av is a "custom job" courtesy of Max Headroom and Col. Hajj.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

On BoardGameGeek are descriptions and photos. We already know that the 8th plane will be Russian Pe-2.

WOOOOO!!! Dance of Joy!!!

Here we see sample of bomber card

Are these official sample bomber cards or ones you have made, please?

Are these official sample bomber cards or ones you have made, please?
    Andrea put it up on BGG, they're prototypes only I'm easily excited lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian
    Sorties Flown

Any idea on the scale for the cards? I've got to design a new hangar for all these bombers.

-Bri

Exactly. I use Deckcard sleeves. For fighters fit the European Mini. Which will be fit for the bombers?

Quote Originally Posted by bleeder View Post
    Any idea on the scale for the cards? I've got to design a new hangar for all these bombers.

-Bri
    There's no info, but my guess, and it is a guess, is that they're standard size sideways, that way all the move decks are comparable.

cheers,

Dave.

Brian!

You have asked asked the Million dollar question! They have to be the standard length and maybe twice the width!

Rich

P.S. We may find out some day!

Judging by "Flight of Giants" the cards fro the WWII bombers will be huge.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Brian
    Sorties Flown

What are the sizes of the FoG cards?

-Bri

What about the Douglas A20 Boston/Havoc; they were available at the start of the war; any chance that they might be included?

David !

The wish list is endless!

Rich

Beldavi

Quote Originally Posted by Padi View Post
    Here we see sample of bomber card
    I can see that the red and yellow dots donate the turrents. What are the blue dots for?

We don't know what the blue dots are for Feel free to speculate!!

It's a prototype though so they may not have made it through, my guess is it's a target for other aircraft, why else have one on the tail?

cheers,

Dave.

The blue dot is the center of the card.
    The yellow dot seems to be the MG below the Heinkel.
    Strange is the ret dots fire arc of the center MG. IIRC it could only fire backwards. The fire arc on this card is to wide.

The bomber cards i FoG depend on the size of the aitrcraft. Small bombers are double the size but the big ones are as large as four cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    The blue dot is the center of the card.
    The yellow dot seems to be the MG below the Heinkel.
    Strange is the ret dots fire arc of the center MG. IIRC it could only fire backwards. The fire arc on this card is to wide.

The bomber cards i FoG depend on the size of the aitrcraft. Small bombers are double the size but the big ones are as large as four cards.
    Um...there's 2 blue dots on the pic showing in post #135?? so...2 "centers"???

The rear blue dot (instead of the center blue dot) is used to determining Tailing.

Quote Originally Posted by Propjockey53 View Post
    As an old Grognard wargamer I never hold my breath ......lest I pass out!
    Um...I hope it's through the upper part of the body

I woud say Larger Airplane more target Points Its easier to Shoot down a Bomber then a Fighter

I've updated the first post with the new painted prototype photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    A new boxed set called Rain of Destruction will be released in the second half of this year. It will introduce into the game multi-engine bombers and heavy fighters such as the B-25 Mitchell, He.111 and Me.110, with all related rules.

We should see also see the Bomber Series 1 miniatures release this year with the Henkel He.111 and North American B-25 Mitchell, each in two different paint schemes.

Attachment 14407

Attachment 14408

Attachment 14409

Attachment 14406
    Sweet photos...just wish they were at the LGS. Maybe next month.
    Tom

Thumbs up

Keith!

Was there a release date for the box or minis?

Rich

At the start of the year, Nexus said June for the minis... but we all know that is not going to happen. My personal guess would be October

I want then now (arms crossed foot being stamped into the ground) Well I guess October will be ok then my children can buy them for me for my Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    At the start of the year, Nexus said June for the minis... but we all know that is not going to happen. My personal guess would be October
    of which year sir?

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Keith!

Was there a release date for the box or minis?

Rich
    After oure experience with Nexus i woud say 30 February 2013

Another prototypes on boardgamegeek, this time we see a 2 miniatures

Looking at the second of Col. Hajj's photographs at the top of this thread, the other aircraft in the photograph with the Me110 is a Bristol Beaufighter. That is great! It looks like an early version because there is no rear firing machine gun, so no torpedo bombing yet.
    The Bristol with the rear Turret was the Bristol Beaufort, if it a Beaufighter then it should be a topedo version, or if I remember my airfix days some sort of gunbus or tankbuster. Unless of course someone else knows different. Im going back a few years now so any info is good eh

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast