Ares Games
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Revised Deluxe Edition

Wish I could answer that. However have a look at IGUK & Shire Games, they publish games updates newsletters and they may get them sooner than amazon. Shire did have some recently but were German language, although I now see they are out of stock

daddio

Shire games has them in stock NOW. Just ordered one the other day

Tomsk

Well I'm glad to see it's getting closer, but it's the German version so I'm going to hang on that little while extra

Why in this day and age we're still waiting while everyone else has it I'm not sure though

Default US

I got mine from coolstuffinc.com

Default The Original Version

The original version has a Spad XIII Francesco Baracca Italy in it. FYI

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

I ordered my (German version) deluxe set from Shire Games last Tuesday and it arrived Friday (Christmas Eve) which considering the Christmas rush and the weather was an excellent turnaround time. Everything arrived in good condition and yes, the aircraft colour schemes are great.

Cheers, Andy.

We will just have to keep waiting for the English version.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    We will just have to keep waiting for the English version.
    Why? I have mine -- got it for Christmas.

Congratulations, Csadn, but you live in the USA. Stuff always arrives here in the UK well after it has been released in the USA despite being closer to Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Congratulations, Csadn, but you live in the USA. Stuff always arrives here in the UK well after it has been released in the USA despite being closer to Italy.
    I don't think its proximity to Italy that matters, but China - that's where it they manufacture everything these days.

Point taken Larry, but even I could have sailed a fishing boat to the States and back several times under sail, in the time it takes for the models to get here after your release date. They can coordinate release dates for films, CDs, and books, but not it would seem for things as heavy and huge as model planes. Just another one of our niggles about the way they supply things. What is the matter with this firm.
    You would almost think they are trying to be annoying. No other miniatures firm I have dealt with over the past thirty years has brought out a line of models, and then let the supply of its first releases dry up for a year. Sorry, enough. It's all been said elsewhere, but it does get up ones nose after a time, with all the poor new pilots eager to get planes that are as rare as Rocking Horse dung.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    with all the poor new pilots eager to get planes that are as rare as Rocking Horse dung.
    Rob.
    Classic Rob!

Well said Wingco , you get my support in that statement, they are as useless as the old chocolate fireguard

RichardD

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    I don't think its proximity to Italy that matters, but China - that's where it they manufacture everything these days.
    Neither, is the honest answer.

The primary publisher is indeed Italian - but the games are actually printed/planes manufactured in China. Sets destined for the EU in languages like German and Italian are shipped direct from China to the EU.

But the English-language distribution is dealt with by Fantasy Flight Games (I don't know if they are still co-publishers) - who are based in the US. So *all* the English-language planes and games are manufactured in China, then shipped to the US. Where Customs inspections invariably add a week or two to the whole process. Then the games travel overland to FFG, before being parcelled out across the US. Now *some* of the US games are then sent to the UK. So they go back to the port by truck, to be put on a slow boat to the UK (where they go through Customs again), before entering the UK distribution chain A chain which is itself neither short nor particularly fast - the games have to get to the distributor from the port once cleared by Customs, then the distributor parcels them out to the retailers.

So we in the UK tend to have to wait 6-8 weeks longer than US customers to get anything that went via the US, irrespective of how close we live to the publisher or manufacturer.

For a time, things were a bit different with at least one games publisher. Rio Grande Games are based in the US, but print most of their games in Germany. And they used to ship to the UK direct from the German printers. So we'd get English-language games 6-8 weeks before US-based customers. Sadly that's come to an end, due to some technical intricacies in the EU VAT system, games destined for the UK from a US publisher printed in Germany now have to go via the US. Which also puts the price up. Ho hum.

Default selling out?

So is this set selling out in the USA? I've been told by a retailer that they can't get anymore.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quick heads-up for the Blighty crowd - this has reached the British distributor and they'll be shipping them out on Monday, but with limited availability initially (I can only get 6 sets for now - hopefully I'll be able to pick up more at the end of next week, but they're "rationing" them until they can judge demand at least) so they might not last long if they do prove popular....

Dom.

PS - UK rrp's Ł54.99, although I dare say most retailers will try and shave that a bit.
    Last edited by Dom S; 01-07-2011 at 05:47.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Andy
    Sorties Flown

Any idea what the price will be?

Cheers, Andy

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

See my edit - must've been typing at the same time....

Stick me down for one of those then Dom. Price looks O.K. to me.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Will do, thanks. Really hoping the "6 per trader" doesn't last long....

That RRP looks expensive to me ! I recall reading that 'for the price of about four planes' you can buy this set - that would be about Ł40 then. (roughly $60) which is what the German set was going for & the Amazon pre-order is quoting at so why such a high RRP now? It seems sometimes that we have to pay in pounds what others seem to pay in Dollars or Euros. Or is it just me? That RRP is about $82.50 for info of our US cousins; think you got yours for $45 ? Not sure what the guys are paying in Europe.
    I'm sure someone out there can rationalize it all with markets and rates of exchange etc but I feel 'It's that end of the stick again' !!
    ## Rant over ## message ends ##

"He is wise who watches"

RichardD

The planes have also gone up in price, though - series 4 is much more expensive than series 1 was when it first came out. And games have got more expensive for us in the UK generally, with a hike in production costs in China over the last two years allied to the pound sliding against the dollar.

I fully expected the RRP to be Ł50-55 when I bought my copy for €40.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

To be fair the US rrp's $69.95 - chuck VAT on that and you've got $84, Which is Ł53.99, so not a major discrepancy. Continental Europe does seem to get them a bit cheaper though. The real issue in terms of "bottom line" price is that UK retailers have less scope to discount, as they're at the bottom of a longer distribution chain than US or most European retailers, so don't get as much wholesale discount. (Aussies and Kiwis have the same issue, but not many other countries now - for most people the distribution chain is Nexus - national distributor - retailers, but for us it's Nexus - FFG - national distributor - retailers. That extra link in the chain is obviously an extra firm with shipping and other costs to pay and profit to make.)
    Last edited by Dom S; 01-07-2011 at 13:54.

It is time the UK had its own chain. Cut out the 'middle men'.

G'day Chaps!
    Just a couple of Comments on the New De Luxe Set:

First there are quite a few new cards in the new set. Manouver & Damage plus the rules are expanded & the new Aircraft are brilliant.

Secondly: There are a few up on Ebay at lower than RRP. Its worth browsing some of the more reputable stores there as well & you can find some goodies.

My LGS is retailing them at $75 if I recall correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by greenalfonzo View Post
    So is this set selling out in the USA? I've been told by a retailer that they can't get anymore.
    Alliance Game Distribution has them in stock in 3 of their 4 warehouses (all but the midwest.)

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    My LGS is retailing them at $75 if I recall correctly.
    MSRP is $69.95 - but that might easily become $75 after sales tax (depending on the tax rate.)

I called in at my local games shop yesterday and the owner told me that he would be receiving some revised de-luxe WW1 sets next week. He said that they would cost about Ł65 but he might absorb some of that and sell them for Ł59.99, was I interested? I said, "no" at that price.

Dom can do a better deal than that David. See his earlier post on here for details.
    Rob.

Celestial games has them in stock at Ł52.50 + p & p.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I'm expecting them Tuesday - won't be able to set my price until I know exactly what they cost me all-in, but suspect it'll be a smidgen under Ł50. Naharaht, your LGS must have gotten a crossed wire, as the distributor emailed out their 10th January new releases flyer on Friday, and confirmed Ł54.99 as the rrp.

At last!! I picked up mine today!! From Marquee Models in Harlow. Ł54 a set was how they were priced and I'm not unhappy with that at all!! The boss wasn't in so I don't know how that relates to RRP.

[PS sorry about the surfeit of exclamation marks. I'm just sooooo excited!!!!!!]

My copy is "in the post".....

The endless wait is about to end!

So is mine. Don't expect too much out of me for a few days after Thursday.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormkahn View Post
    If it's the same thing it's only Ł40 on amazon
    True. But they say it is not yet released and I have mine and have been playing with them already this evening. Worth the tenner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    True. But they say it is not yet released and I have mine and have been playing with them already this evening. Worth the tenner!!!
    It's a fair cop guv'nor

I will at this point do a plug for Marquee Models. They do an on-line serivce but they are genuinely committed to support for WoW. They are supporting me and members of my gaming club with a table and participation game at Salute next year and will have as much stock as they can at the show. Apart from being a customer I have no "axe to grind" for the store, just respect for a good independent stockist.

I have just realised that the planes in the revised set come without pilots. No "peg-men". Fantastic! I don't know why I didn't expect this. I must have got used to the later peg-pilots. I can give these planes the Peter Pig pilots too. They look so much better with those. I must apologise if this has been pointed out before.

Glad I bought the one with German rules for Ł30 something pounds....Couldn't afford over Ł50 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wodin View Post
    Glad I bought the one with German rules for Ł30 something pounds....Couldn't afford over Ł50 for it.
    Too true. You can print off the rules in English for far less than Ł20.
    Rob.

All very true. I had a German set for the 1st edition. BUT, and this is only in period, I really didn't want a Boche Box this time!! It was a Blighty one or not at all!!

Yay got it this morning, happy bunny!!!

Postman made my day this morning. A friend sent me a late Christmas pressie.That is why I'm so late on my on line mail today.
    Rob.

the de luxe addition is out in France and contains all the planes mentioned in Coll hajj's initial posting available at the following shop on line http://www.ludocortex.fr/gamme-wings-of-war,fr,3,95.cfm for 44.99 euros and as far as I know is in stock, Rules are in French but you can easily translate them.
    Good hunting

Yes my Daughter was recently in Paris and to cut a long story short got a set for me and the store sent it to me post free. I suppose it helps when my daughter's best friend is a dancer at the Moulange Rouge!

Nice one Doug , esp the Moulin Rouge bit Oh La La

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Similar Missions

1. WW1 deluxe set
    By ff151 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 04:55
  2. WWII Deluxe Rules
    By John B in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-20-2010, 01:18
  3. Deluxe Edition Reprint Possible